How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
(03-10-2014 01:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In about 20 years 3d printed kidneys(they exist today) will be common place me thinks.
Wow, thanks for the link.

The kidneys are only prototypes and I think brains and memories are much, much more complex. But still, this is pretty cool.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 02:32 PM
(03-10-2014 02:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Without the template the computer synthesized the DNA from, the cell would not have been viable.
It would also be great one day if we ever were to discover and get a sample of life on another planet. Forgetting about the fact that it would take many decades to simply travel to another planet in another solar system.

But life on another planet may have a different DNA code and epigenetic system. It would likely be very different from life on Earth and our GELF attempts here.
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
(03-10-2014 01:38 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:The monster Frankenstein had no mother or father and thus had no ancestors.

The pieces of other people who made up Frankenstein had ancestors, thus giving him biological ties to all the parts ancestors.
I know I'm being pedantic here, but the character of Frankenstein was a scientist. He created a monster referred to as Frankenstein's monster.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
03-10-2014, 03:09 PM
(03-10-2014 12:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 11:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It has been clearly demonstrated, referenced and explained to you that what you are calling "creation of life by an intellect" is false. Any conclusion or corollary you may draw from your (false) "observation" is flawed, and in this case, an outright lie.

Have a sucky day, Blowme.

And I explained already that while it is not a novelty...that is while it is not a new kind of life or even a new design of life....it still represents the creation of a new lineage of life.

Find me a a group of reputable biologists that agree with this assertion.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
(03-10-2014 03:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 12:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  And I explained already that while it is not a novelty...that is while it is not a new kind of life or even a new design of life....it still represents the creation of a new lineage of life.

Find me a a group of reputable biologists that agree with this assertion.

The biologists at the J Craig Venter institute not only agree with this assertion....they make it themselves.

http://www.jcvi.org/cms/research/project.../overview/

Now find me a group of reputable scientist that who claim Mycoplasma Laboratorium is not synthetic?
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
(03-10-2014 11:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 03:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  If I did it was to point out the circularity of your argument. Either there is a first or there is infinite regress.
We know that humans have not always existed, so human intellect has not always existed.

If human intellect was not natural, but was created by another intellect, all that does is move the problem of the first intellect elsewhere and elsewhen. And there is no evidence that human intellect is not a product of evolution. In fact, by studying other animals, we see gradations of mental power that looks exactly like it is the product of evolution.

Chas, after all our discussions here and at AF, I have come to the conclusion that one of our differences in our world views is this:. I consider reality to have an intellect. Why? because humans have intellect and humans are part of reality. When I ponder reality....in a very real sense reality is pondering itself.

You view reality as not having intellect...that somehow intellect is separate and distinct from reality. You view intellect as a product of reality not a quality of it. I think your view is wrong and cannot be substantiated....at all. It warps your world view.

Now if intellect is a quality of reality today.....and it is.....intellect can be a quality it has always possessed. There is no need for a first intellect or an infinite regress as intellect is simply a quality of reality itself.

Nope. Reality has no intellect, humans have intellects and other animals have intellects of lesser power.
There is no intellect lying around to be had, it is an emergent property of brains.

The differences in our views are that mine are based on evidence and yours on wishful thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 06:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-10-2014 04:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 03:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Find me a a group of reputable biologists that agree with this assertion.

The biologists at the J Craig Venter institute not only agree with this assertion....they make it themselves.

Now find me a group of reputable scientist that who claim Mycoplasma Laboratorium is not synthetic?

Obviously you didn't read your own thread.
Your assertions have been refuted multiple times.
You haven't even attempted to answer them.
You haven't a clue what you are saying.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
(03-10-2014 04:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 03:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Find me a a group of reputable biologists that agree with this assertion.

That's funny cause I don't see them making the claim that this is a "new lineage of life" anywhere in that link. That seems to be an invention of yours, another word game phrased in such a way so as to give you as much wiggle room as possible.

I see you still have not addressed the three basic problems I raised. Shocking.Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
(03-10-2014 04:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 04:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The biologists at the J Craig Venter institute not only agree with this assertion....they make it themselves.

Obviously you didn't read your own thread.
Your assertions have been refuted multiple times.
You haven't even attempted to answer them.
You haven't a clue what you are saying.

TaaaDaaa

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
(03-10-2014 04:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. Reality has no intellect, humans have intellects and other animals have intellects of lesser power.
There is no intellect lying around to be had, it is an emergent property of brains.

The differences in our views are that mine are based on evidence and yours on wishful thinking.

Your position is easily demolished. Consider the follow argument.

Premise 1. Reality is the set of all things(objects, properties, qualities, notions, etc) that are or have been.
Premise 2. Intellect is a thing.
Conclusion: Therefore intellect is a component of reality.

What premise do you disagree with? How does the conclusion not follow from the premises?