How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
(03-10-2014 08:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I can graft a tomato to a potato plant and it will grow just fine. Is that "synthetic"? Is it a "product of nature"?

You've still not explained coherently just what the hell you're on about with "lineages of life".

I, for example, would say that a cloned genome - even if the genome is assembled synthetically - is not new in any substantive way.

This happens to be the consensus of the vast majority of scientists. So there's that.

(03-10-2014 08:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Venter himself made the claim that the organism was the first who's parent was a computer

Yes. Clearly we should only ever need to hear what people have to say about themselves.

I mean, who ever heard of a silly thing like peer review? Why, the very idea!

Craig Venter won the Dickson Prize in medicine(a pretty big deal). Here is what his peers who gave him the prize said.

Quote: Having removed the DNA from a bacterium, Mycoplasma mycoides, Venter and colleagues designed a genome, synthesized it in the lab, and transplanted it into the bacterium Mycoplasma capricolum, converting it into a synthetic version of M. mycoides. It is the first living, self-sustaining organism with a synthetic genome. Venter’s current research involves developing applications for this technology, such as designing bacteria and yeast to consume carbon dioxide and generate fuels.
- bolded by me for emphasis

http://www.dicksonprize.pitt.edu/recipie...venter.php
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
(03-10-2014 08:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Premise 1 defines a thing as including properties so premise 2 is not faulty.

By that definition Reality is also lifeless void and in much greater quantity than intellect. Reality is Wet and Dry, Hot and cold, a description that is of no use to anyone for any purpose.

Revenant77x is wet and dry.....yet also has intellect.
03-10-2014, 09:10 PM
(03-10-2014 09:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  By that definition Reality is also lifeless void and in much greater quantity than intellect. Reality is Wet and Dry, Hot and cold, a description that is of no use to anyone for any purpose.

Revenant77x is wet and dry.....yet also has intellect.

He displays it at times, and then other times he takes obvious troll bait. You are still Anthropomorphizing the concept of reality by claiming it has intellect. At best you can claim that it contains organisms that display intellects. Much like a fish tank can contain fish but a fish tank is not a living creature.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
(03-10-2014 08:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have demolished nothing, you are disingenuously changing what you said.

You said:
"You view reality as not having intellect...that somehow intellect is separate and distinct from reality. You view intellect as a product of reality not a quality of it. I think your view is wrong and cannot be substantiated....at all. It warps your world view.
Now if intellect is a quality of reality today.....and it is.....intellect can be a quality it has always possessed. There is no need for a first intellect or an infinite regress as intellect is simply a quality of reality itself."

You claimed that intellect is a "quality of reality". Intellect is real, but it is not a "quality of reality", it is an evolved property of brains. There is nothing in reality that requires intellect to exist, it is a contingent result of evolution.

If something exists it is a component of reality.

Qualities are things.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thing

But that is not what you said originally in the post I responded to. Are you changing your stance on what intellect is?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 09:26 PM
(03-10-2014 09:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 09:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Revenant77x is wet and dry.....yet also has intellect.

He displays it at times, and then other times he takes obvious troll bait. You are still Anthropomorphizing the concept of reality by claiming it has intellect. At best you can claim that it contains organisms that display intellects. Much like a fish tank can contain fish but a fish tank is not a living creature.

Why can't the fish tank have always contained fish? You see it doesn't matter if reality anthropmorphized or not intellect can still be a permanent component of it.
03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
(03-10-2014 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 09:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He displays it at times, and then other times he takes obvious troll bait. You are still Anthropomorphizing the concept of reality by claiming it has intellect. At best you can claim that it contains organisms that display intellects. Much like a fish tank can contain fish but a fish tank is not a living creature.

Why can't the fish tank have always contained fish? You see it doesn't matter if reality anthropmorphized or not intellect can still be a permanent component of it.

How? In what way? Where is this intellect?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
(03-10-2014 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  How? In what way? Where is this intellect?

Yes it is kinda hard to find intellect at the Thinkingatheist.com
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
(03-10-2014 08:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I probably didn't read it. If you write anymore then a few sentences I don't bother to read it. You simply do not have enough respect in my book to bother wasting my time reading what you wrote if it more than a couple of sentences.

(01-10-2014 06:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Your name should be Whiskeyeatsdicks.....cause all the experts say you're a cocksucker.

How do you not choke to death on hypocrisy that big as it leaves your mouth Mr. -42? Practice I would wager.

Oh and that's also bullshit by the way as you have repeatedly pulled quotes of me from the middle or end of rather long posts. The same posts that have the arguments, which you avoided, BEFORE the things you quote by the way. Nice try you lying sack of pestilent shit. You really have zero shame when it comes to lying, it's fucking disturbing the ease with which you do it.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
03-10-2014, 09:41 PM
(03-10-2014 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 09:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He displays it at times, and then other times he takes obvious troll bait. You are still Anthropomorphizing the concept of reality by claiming it has intellect. At best you can claim that it contains organisms that display intellects. Much like a fish tank can contain fish but a fish tank is not a living creature.

You have anything to back that assertion up like say...evidence?Drinking Beverage

03-10-2014, 09:44 PM
(03-10-2014 09:30 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  How? In what way? Where is this intellect?

Yes it is kinda hard to find intellect at the Thinkingatheist.com

Ya...you don't get to bitch about anyone "trolling" you, as you are the only person in this thread who repeatedly does shit like this.

Oh and that's because you bring the average down by the way.