How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
20-10-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
(05-10-2014 10:33 AM)BanalityOfEvil Wrote:  It doesn't really suggest that simulating life from non-life is impossible, only that it may be impractical or unsuited for their purposes.

The fact that the simulations still work based on basic chemical principles, however, suggests that there's no "magic" that keeps life going once it exists.

Concluding that life does not need an intellect to guide its evolution when it exists is much different than concluding that life needs an intellect to come into existence.

Just because you believe that life does not need an intellect to evolve is not a good reason to then believe that an evolving lineage of life did not need an intellect to come into existence in the first place. Abiogenesis and evolution are not the same things and should not be conflated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 10:29 AM
(20-10-2014 10:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not that silly argument again. A simulator is not the real thing. Your conclusion is nonsense.

Simulations are used all the time to make conclusions about the real thing. That is there point. If evolution is something that occurs without the aid of an intellect then a simulator should be able to be constructed which does not require the direct creation of a seed organism.

You just conflated abiogenesis with evolution. And you still don't understand simulation.

Quote:In weather simulations it isn't necessary for the operators to create tiny dust devils or seed vortexes in order for tornadoes or hurricanes to appear. The create the componets....air, land, sea, temperature differentials, etc and physics engine....then weather just happens and hurricanes emerge.

No, they don't 'create the componets (sic)' and weather appears. You are talking out your ass.
You really don't know how simulations are constructed and you continue to make an ass of yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-10-2014, 10:31 AM
(20-10-2014 10:17 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Abiogenesis and evolution are not the same things and should not be conflated.

Which you did in your previous post.

The rest of your post was word salad.

20-10-2014, 10:51 AM
(20-10-2014 10:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 10:17 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Abiogenesis and evolution are not the same things and should not be conflated.

Which you did in your previous post.

The rest of your post was word salad.

Word. Salad.
My favorite posts!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-10-2014, 12:51 PM
What do you even do when you disappear for stretches of time? 'Cause it's clear you are not learning from your past failures or getting an education, so I'm curious what it is exactly you do.

Your position is wrong, that sucks for you but deal with it. No one here really cares to watch you fight off your own education in a desperate attempt to force reality to conform to your deeply held and delusional beliefs. We just don't, you are not that interesting.

Your god is made up, just like the rest of the gods, and you are operating under a misapprehension, just like the rest of the various believers in history have been. Boohoo.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
20-10-2014, 05:34 PM
(20-10-2014 12:51 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  What do you even do when you disappear for stretches of time? 'Cause it's clear you are not learning from your past failures or getting an education, so I'm curious what it is exactly you do.

The details of my life are inconsequential.
20-10-2014, 05:44 PM
(20-10-2014 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 10:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Simulations are used all the time to make conclusions about the real thing. That is there point. If evolution is something that occurs without the aid of an intellect then a simulator should be able to be constructed which does not require the direct creation of a seed organism.

You just conflated abiogenesis with evolution. And you still don't understand simulation.

I did not make a conflation. However I did make an error. It does not follow that if evolution is something that occurs without the aid of an intellect then a simulator should be able to be constructed which does not require the direct creation of a seed organism.

You've confused a non sequitor with conflation.
20-10-2014, 05:53 PM
And you're just confused. Period.

Hey. Minus 46. Thumbsup
Party at -50 ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2014, 06:12 PM
(20-10-2014 05:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  You just conflated abiogenesis with evolution. And you still don't understand simulation.

I did not make a conflation. However I did make an error. It does not follow that if evolution is something that occurs without the aid of an intellect then a simulator should be able to be constructed which does not require the direct creation of a seed organism.

You've confused a non sequitor with conflation.

No, I haven't. Your statement above claims that an evolution simulator should create the first organism, which is a simulation of abiogenesis, and you conflated them. Your argument fails.

You are really, really bad at this.

20-10-2014, 06:38 PM
(20-10-2014 05:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 12:51 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  What do you even do when you disappear for stretches of time? 'Cause it's clear you are not learning from your past failures or getting an education, so I'm curious what it is exactly you do.

The details of my life are inconsequential.

Good thing I was being facetious then you stupid superstitious motherfucker. Laughat

You know, sometimes I think you are a Poe. It's just hard to believe that anyone could be as bad at arguing an actual position they hold as you are. If you just guessed at the answer to things you would get more right based on chance alone.

Deeply held or not though, your displayed position is still wrong. That must be hard for you. Tragedy.Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.