How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-09-2014, 10:42 AM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
(27-09-2014 10:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 10:35 AM)One Above All Wrote:  *Who's
Drinking Beverage

Touche'.....but at least I know what silicone isDodgy

I never said you were at fault but Bucky Ball wasn't. AFAIC, you're both at fault. Him for arguing a wrong point instead of checking the facts; you for trying to be a smartass/Grammar Nazi when you don't know the difference between "Who's" and "Whose" (not to mention your inability to spell "touché").

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 10:46 AM
(27-09-2014 10:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 10:35 AM)One Above All Wrote:  *Who's
Drinking Beverage

Touche'.....but at least I know what silicone isDodgy

But were totally unable to address the POINT at hand.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-09-2014, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014 10:54 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(27-09-2014 10:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes. I am a fucking idiot. My ARGUMENT, however is sound, and yours has been demonstrated to be crap.

And this refutes my points EXACTLY how ? Silicon (or whatever) AS AN ELEMENT is not found as a base of life. Your evasion is astounding, and perfectly obvious to all who read your bullshit, you fucking troll.

Yes I made a mistake.
No.
My arguments are sound and blowjob is an ignorant fool, and is thought to be so by this entire community, as demonstrated clearly by his reputation.

Suppose our good friends at SETI detect a signal from space that undoubtedly comes from an alien civilization. I would wager that life on that planet is carbon based. Why? because given my experience, all life is carbon based. So I can conclude that life is probably carbon based. Could I be wrong? Sure.....but there is nothing wrong with my thinking.

Now suppose Bucky comes along and says, "Heywood...that life is probably SILICONE based". WHOSE burden of proof is more stringent? Mine or Bucky's?
27-09-2014, 10:59 AM
(27-09-2014 09:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your grasp of logic is abominable. We have direct experience of one way that it comes into existence. That says absolutely nothing about other ways.

Your error of logic is taking an existential quantifier and making it a universal quantifier.

Rookie error.

And they didn't actually create any life. So, there's that.

So if you see a watch and you don't know how it came into existence, do you automatically believe it occurred naturally? No you do not....because in your experience watches are always the product of intelligent design.

Our lineage of life is that watch whose circumstance of origination is unknown to us. If our experience suggest that lineages of life only originate as a product of intellect, then we have very good reason to believe that our lineage of life is the product of an intellect.

Theist have good reason to believe our lineage of life is the product of intellect. Atheist have no good reason to believe our lineage of life naturally occurred.

The problem is automatically believing something either way. Which case in point is what a idiotic mind incapable of skepticism and multiple modes of thought would want to do.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-09-2014, 11:02 AM
(27-09-2014 10:59 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 09:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  So if you see a watch and you don't know how it came into existence, do you automatically believe it occurred naturally? No you do not....because in your experience watches are always the product of intelligent design.

Our lineage of life is that watch whose circumstance of origination is unknown to us. If our experience suggest that lineages of life only originate as a product of intellect, then we have very good reason to believe that our lineage of life is the product of an intellect.

Theist have good reason to believe our lineage of life is the product of intellect. Atheist have no good reason to believe our lineage of life naturally occurred.

The problem is automatically believing something either way. Which case in point is what a idiotic mind incapable of skepticism and multiple modes of thought would want to do.

I would respond to this.....but you don't want a response from a troll now do you?
27-09-2014, 11:05 AM
(27-09-2014 10:51 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 10:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes. I am a fucking idiot. My ARGUMENT, however is sound, and yours has been demonstrated to be crap.

And this refutes my points EXACTLY how ? Silicon (or whatever) AS AN ELEMENT is not found as a base of life. Your evasion is astounding, and perfectly obvious to all who read your bullshit, you fucking troll.

Yes I made a mistake.
No.
My arguments are sound and blowjob is an ignorant fool, and is thought to be so by this entire community, as demonstrated clearly by his reputation.

Suppose our good friends at SETI detect a signal from space that undoubtedly comes from an alien civilization. I would wager that life on that planet is carbon based. Why? because given my experience, all life is carbon based. So I can conclude that life is probably carbon based. Could I be wrong? Sure.....but there is nothing wrong with my thinking.

Now suppose Bucky comes along and says, "Heywood...that life is probably SILICONE based". WHOSE burden of proof is more stringent? Mine or Bucky's?

Thank you Blowjob. Thank you again. YOU just made my point for me. (And that's NOT what I said. And indeed you have demonstrated that you couldn't even grasp the POINT).

The POINT was that if life MUST be (only) carbon based, and we KNOW natural processes by which that can arise from carbon, (which I provided links and support for by a Nobel Laureate IN THE FIELD), then any argument for a deity who *could* have made live (*supposedly*) arise FROM ANY ELEMENT, is a weak and stupid designer.

Thank you again, Blowjob. Thumbsup (for making my point for me).

Debating you is like talking to a Second Grader.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-09-2014, 11:07 AM
(27-09-2014 11:02 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 10:59 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The problem is automatically believing something either way. Which case in point is what a idiotic mind incapable of skepticism and multiple modes of thought would want to do.

I would respond to this.....but you don't want a response from a troll now do you?

I never said that..demonstrating a lack of comphrension eh? I asked you why I would want a response from you.

You could assume I didn't want a response from a statement of that nature. That would be foolish assumptions just like assuming something was natural/unatural automatically without examining it through detail. You first would have to have a well defined idea of how you can tell what is natural/unnatural already. Just prior experience is a poor living through the motions manner of judging something efficiently.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-09-2014, 11:09 AM
(27-09-2014 10:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 09:59 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  If we were intelligently designed, then the intelligent designer would had designed us to be perfect. Which means that no amount of reproduction could leave room for any mistakes what so ever. Original sin or NOT.

I have a genetic disorder, If I was an intelligent design, my designs would be so perfect that that could never possibly happen under Any circumstances. If it did then it would mean that I am not perfect and my designs are faulty.

It would also mean that Pseudo genes could not exist in which they do and vestigial organs could never exist. Which they do!

There is nothing in nature what so ever that shows even the slightest need for a designer that the most basic knowledge of evolution cannot make a far more complex and compelling and logical and formed to how reality actually works...answer to where we come from.

Just because something is intelligently designed does not make it perfect. Chevy's are intelligently designed yet the were designed with a faulty ignition switch. Thousands have been recalled....perhaps you heard of it.

At best you could argue that our intelligent designer is not an O3 God because of the mistakes you listed....that argument is flawed but I won't go into why in this thread since it is irrelevant to the argument I am making.

There you go again comparing the inanimate to the animate...stop that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-09-2014, 11:15 AM
(27-09-2014 10:51 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Yes I made a mistake.
No.

Suppose our good friends at SETI detect a signal from space that undoubtedly comes from an alien civilization. I would wager that life on that planet is carbon based. Why? because given my experience, all life is carbon based. So I can conclude that life is probably carbon based.

My neighborhood has a KFC, therefor all neighborhoods likely have a KFC. You can't conclude any kind of probability when your sample size is 1. One planet.

Also no one is interested in you intellectually vapid "what if" word games. The hallmark of design is simplicity NOT complexity which is what we have.

But welcome back I guess.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
27-09-2014, 11:17 AM
if there was a designer then it would be the most stupid, incompetent, hopeless, pathetic and unintelligent Designer there is

or is an asshole of a designer