How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
27-09-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
(27-09-2014 02:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 02:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I wonder if the invitation to the troll dinner is what brought him back ?

He's only back because no one else will put up with him. He has scoured the web for a home and he ended up back here. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Sadcryface2

I'm still quite welcome at AF. I fit in there better than I fit in here that's for sure(though I'm not particularly popular there either). I just came by to change my signature and see what you dregs of humanity were up to these days. Since I was logged in I figured I'd post something to see how you compare to the AF crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 04:29 PM
(27-09-2014 03:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Blowme's back?

He was one of the people I had on ignore....

Please keep it that way.

I don't like you.
27-09-2014, 04:30 PM
(27-09-2014 04:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 02:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He's only back because no one else will put up with him. He has scoured the web for a home and he ended up back here. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Sadcryface2

I'm still quite welcome at AF. I fit in there better than I fit in here that's for sure(though I'm not particularly popular there either). I just came by to change my signature and see what you dregs of humanity were up to these days. Since I was logged in I figured I'd post something to see how you compare to the AF crowd.

Gasp

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-09-2014, 04:36 PM
(27-09-2014 02:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He's only back because no one else will put up with him. He has scoured the web for a home and he ended up back here. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Sadcryface2

Oh, but we rove our widdlow Blowjob.
Feel free to come by and pick up some more neg reps anytime.
HeartHeart

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-09-2014, 04:36 PM
(27-09-2014 04:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 03:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Blowme's back?

He was one of the people I had on ignore....

Please keep it that way.

I don't like you.

Gasp I would love to oblige you, but I'm not allowed to.

Welcome back Blowme!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

27-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Yeah i left AF couple years ago and switched to HERE instead.
Hmmmmm. Wonder why.

Hmmmmm
Fascinating!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-09-2014, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014 04:59 PM by photon9.)
How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
The funniest thing about ID is that it's ultimately an argument against itself.

Why do we say a watch is designed and a rock is not?

If there's a difference then how can you then flip the argument and claim that the rock was also designed?

ID has a built in contradiction. There's no way out of it. At minimum the argument itself has a component that is assumed to not be designed.

At best it assumes the creator manipulated "stuff" that was already there. Much like scientists in a lab! Amazing!
27-09-2014, 07:12 PM
(27-09-2014 09:19 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 07:44 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Intellects are formed by nature.

I'm not sure you understand your own question.

I think you can make a good faith argument that human intellect occurred naturally so I will concede that point for the sake of this argument. If all intellects were naturally occurring this would be a strong counter argument to my argument. IBM Watson and other AI devices have demonstrated that intellects can create intellects.....so all intellects are not naturally occurring.

There is no AI construct that is considered an 'intellect'. So your conclusion is false.

Quote:Suppose the New Horizon probe that is set to fly by Pluto in July 2015 images a piece of machinery on the dwarf planet's surface. We would know it was the product of an intellect because in our experience, machinery is a product of intellect. Such a discovery would imply the existence of another intellect other than ourselves capable of designing and building machinery.

Is the intellect responsible for the Pluto machinery natural or the product of another intellect? We'd have absolutely no way of knowing. Just because an intellect's existence inferred says little to nothing about the circumstance of the origination of that inferred intellect.

Sorry Rhan, but your counter argument goes no where.

Yes, we would almost certainly conclude that a machine is the product of intelligence. So?

We would conclude that that intelligence was either directly or indirectly the product of evolution by natural selection.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2014, 07:15 PM
(27-09-2014 09:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your grasp of logic is abominable. We have direct experience of one way that it comes into existence. That says absolutely nothing about other ways.

Your error of logic is taking an existential quantifier and making it a universal quantifier.

Rookie error.

And they didn't actually create any life. So, there's that.

So if you see a watch and you don't know how it came into existence, do you automatically believe it occurred naturally? No you do not....because in your experience watches are always the product of intelligent design.

Our lineage of life is that watch whose circumstance of origination is unknown to us. If our experience suggest that lineages of life only originate as a product of intellect, then we have very good reason to believe that our lineage of life is the product of an intellect.

Theist have good reason to believe our lineage of life is the product of intellect. Atheist have no good reason to believe our lineage of life naturally occurred.

But our experience of life is not that it is ever the product of intelligence. There has been no case of that.

And, no, our experience of life is nothing like our experience of artifacts of intelligence. Your argument is entirely specious from premise to conclusion.

27-09-2014, 07:27 PM
(27-09-2014 11:41 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 11:28 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Bucky, you're not an idiot.
So
There's that.
Smile

Sorry Sabrina....Bucky is an idiot. He believes abiogenesis has been demonstrated in the lab.....it hasn't.

That was your contention in the OP and the basis of your argument, so what the fuck do you mean by that?