How do you walk into a plane propeller???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2012, 08:43 AM
How do you walk into a plane propeller???
Quote:Miss Scruggs was nearly killed on December 3 when she walked into a plane propeller after taking a ride with a friend to see the Dallas Christmas lights from the sky.

She suffered a fractured skull, broken collarbone, brain injuries and lost her left hand. Two weeks after the tragic accident, doctors decided that they had to remove Lauren's eye.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ead_module

Warning: There is some gobbeldy gook about religion in the "daily fail" article.....he sure moves in mysterious ways (or he moves people into mysterious and ridiculous scenarios)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: How do you walk into a plane propeller???
"How do you walk into a plane propeller???"

What do you call two intersecting line movers? A plane propeller.. yuk, yuk..

Don't know. Not paying attention to your surroundings, I suppose.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
25-02-2012, 08:39 PM
(25-02-2012 10:32 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Don't know. Not paying attention to your surroundings, I suppose.

Pretty much. Just like most accidents with anything.

I was doing flight training at Palomar airport where they have commercial operations. While we were taxiing, I noticed one of the Mesa Dash-8s had a fresh panel installed on the right side of the fuselage, and asked my instructor (who works for Mesa now, incidentally) what that was all about. Apparently a flight attendant walked through the prop arc while it was moving and a blade smacked her and slammed her into the fuselage. She got lucky that the prop was feathered, because she surely would have been sliced open if it hadn't been.

We treat the prop similar to the way you treat a loaded gun. Avoid the business end. Even when it's stationary, you stay out of the prop arc and instruct passengers not to go near it. When you do touch it, or need to check the air inlets behind it, you always make sure you have the ignition key so you know the magnetos are grounded and won't spark. If you ever move the prop, you keep your weight back so if it kicks over (because maybe the mag is broken and didn't ground) you don't fall into the prop. And my personal rule, because incidents like in this article happen, is to never ever ever let passengers out of the plane without shutting down the engine first.
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
25-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Here in Dallas we get frequent updates on this story since it happened here...still boggles my mind...I mean, it's not like a propeller is tiny or silent. Seems like it would have been easy to avoid.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-02-2012, 11:01 PM
(25-02-2012 09:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Here in Dallas we get frequent updates on this story since it happened here...still boggles my mind...I mean, it's not like a propeller is tiny or silent. Seems like it would have been easy to avoid.

When they're moving, it's hard to see where they stop. And the arc is mostly transparent when you look at it. With all the noise, people seem to get distracted enough to blunder into them even though they ought to be careful. Undecided
26-02-2012, 09:44 AM
One step at a time, I suppose.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 12:33 PM
... by ignoring the noise and the air moving towards it and the movement of the blades... ...

Now sorry but simple questions, do people simply not know / understand that it is dangerous to go near that thing or are they ignorant about it? Or mindless? Careless? Tired of live?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
26-02-2012, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 03:28 PM by craniumonempty.)
(26-02-2012 12:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  ... by ignoring the noise and the air moving towards it and the movement of the blades... ...

Now sorry but simple questions, do people simply not know / understand that it is dangerous to go near that thing or are they ignorant about it? Or mindless? Careless? Tired of live?

Some people are plane ignorant and think everything is corded off where they shouldn't go. I'm guessing it was some of this mixed with not paying attention. I'm wondering what the situation was, because commercial would have directed people away from the props. I'm guessing it was private and the person probably was in a rush and b-lined for wherever they were going without paying attention. I guess it might be like someone on a subway and the doors opening while they are reading the paper and they step out thinking the wind is blowing really hard for some reason without paying attention... granted, it's not common for subways to do that, but it is common to have a propeller moving on a plane that has them. ..

Well, unsure of the "sources" exactly, but reading this:

Quote:According to CBS 11 sources, the pilot had been hosting a party at his house, near the runway, and was taking guests on plane rides to look at holiday lights from the air. FAA officials say Lauren had just gotten out of the plane when she walked right into a moving propeller blade. She suffered a fractured skull, severe cuts and her left hand was amputated.

I think you can almost guess what happened.

... wait, wait, something doesn't add up in this one:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/20...nt-report/
Quote:The unidentified pilot, reported to be Curt Richmond of Frisco, Texas, says he extended his arm out to guide her away from the propeller, and told her to walk behind the airplane.

“Upon noticing that she was exiting in front of the strut, the pilot leaned out of his seat and placed his right hand and arm in front of her to divert her away from the front of the airplane and the propeller,” the report states. “He continued to keep his arm extended and told the passenger that she should walk behind the airplane.”

When he thought she had walked away behind the plane to safety, the pilot says he “returned to his normal seat position,” “looked to the left side of the airplane and opened his window to ask who was next to go for a ride,” according to the report.

... I was thinking something else... my bad...

well, here is the plane (or type of plane according to some random website):

[Image: Plane-Aviat-Husky-Lauren-Scruggs.jpg]

Anyone ever fly one of these? Could you see if someone was walking past?... don't you have to go around or under the supports for the wing? Now that I've read some of the stories, I'm starting to blame the pilot more and more for not paying attention enough.. plus, I'm just guessing, but the guests were probably a little tipsy... The warning sounds too convenient, but if there is no way to tell, then we have to assume it's true. I'm just a little sketchy about this...

.. ok, after thinking a bit. She could have gotten out of the other side and headed in the wrong direction and he corrected her, sat back down and faced out the other side to yell out. That's the only scenario that he couldn't see her for a long period of time. .. Still unsure if there was drinking (of the guests not the pilot), so that could have been the factor for her confusion... plus, she might have misunderstood him with over the engines.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
27-02-2012, 12:36 AM
In a Husky, pilot and passenger exit the same side. If you decide to exit in front of the strut, you're about one step from walking into the prop. Getting out that way means climbing down the strut and the gear, too, which means she was probably facing the rear of the aircraft and was just turning around when she walked into the prop.

[Image: aviat-husky-doors.JPG]

I'm with you, though, the pilot briefing his passengers properly and paying the fuck attention while they're moving near the aircraft was probably the way to keep this from happening.
27-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Am I the only one picturing the fight scene from Raiders of the lost ark?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]