How do your ethics differ from those of your country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2017, 03:27 AM
What things do you consider to be ethical, unethical or neutral that you feel your country generally views as being in a different category?

Or do you feel your personal views pretty much line up with the popular opinion?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
05-11-2017, 03:43 AM
RE: How do your ethics differ from those of your country?
Since the last elections, three weeks ago, I feel like my ethics wildly differ from 60 percent of my fellow citizens. Neo conservatives and nationalists being the winners and the green party kicked out of parliament. That means bad times on the horizon for humanism, minorities, the environment and the poor.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
05-11-2017, 04:06 AM
Unlike the elected leader of my country (and by extension, those who voted for him), I do not think that casually grabbing women by the pussy is socially acceptable.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-11-2017, 05:14 AM
I am not sure which country I am supposed to refer to actually.
Originally I am from Germany and I left and am staying away for many reasons, some ethical of nature. But my ethical reasons would go much into the political and healthcare situations there so I am not sure if that would derail the thread if I went into detail on those (based on my past experience on TTA).

I live in Ireland and I feel very connected to this country. In fact I am planning to apply for citizenship. And while I love this country, there are some ethical things I differ big time.
1. Abortion is illegal here. The law around it is based on religious bullshit and I think that's unethical. I think that we should not base laws on superstion, we should base laws on the real world. And in the real world, it should not be the government that rules over a person's body, it should be the person.
2. Outlined in the Irish consitution is the fact that religion should be included in all subjects at school. I am obviously against indoctrinating kids. I think I want kids to be educated to build their own opinions.
And I think those are my only two things where I really really differ. The rest I am cool with here, or at least cool enough to not be bothered.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 5 users Like Leerob's post
05-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Unlike clowns doing something approximate to rulling country I live in I'm not opposed to euthanasia, abortion or same sex marriages. Nor I'm nationalist with martyr complex or authoritarian clown thinking that some book of myths should rule lives of others.

In short compared to Poland gov I'm fucking saint, but that is like saying that average American is poor compared to Bill Gates.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
05-11-2017, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 06:12 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(05-11-2017 03:27 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  What things do you consider to be ethical, unethical or neutral that you feel your country generally views as being in a different category?

Unlike many other Americans, I think piling up redundant and unused wealth is hording rather than a sign of success. And I think environmental issues and especially climate change should be our top national priority. Future generations will judge us harshly unless we get our act together soon.
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post
05-11-2017, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 07:12 AM by MetasyntacticVariable.)
I don't treat our national symbols as sacred; I leave that to the nationalists and authoritarian followers. In addition, I also treat any use of national symbols with suspicion, as they are often being used as a disguise for something evil, harmful, or just plain garbage. Unfortunately, appeals to patriotism are often accepted uncritically by the majority of the nation as we're indoctrinated from an early age.
[+] 6 users Like MetasyntacticVariable's post
05-11-2017, 07:37 AM
(05-11-2017 06:06 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 03:27 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  What things do you consider to be ethical, unethical or neutral that you feel your country generally views as being in a different category?

Unlike many other Americans, I think piling up redundant and unused wealth is hording rather than a sign of success. And I think environmental issues and especially climate change should be our top national priority. Future generations will judge us harshly unless we get our act together soon.

YES!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
05-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Unlike the 'america first' sentiment which helped carry Trump to victory, I would like to see the U.S. behave as a good world citizen rather than seeking to dominate and coerce to further its own interests. I've always been ambivalent about nationalism and patriotism, but now more than ever.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 6 users Like whateverist's post
05-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Very interesting replies, thank you! Smile

For those of you in the US, it's easy for me to forget just how different our cultures are. (I'm in England.) I'm glad to see free thinkers who question the status quo; this forum seems to attract them.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user