How do your ethics differ from those of your country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2017, 07:14 PM
RE: How do your ethics differ from those of your country?
(09-11-2017 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I am an engineer as well, and not all engineers think like your friend does. If he thinks we can solve everything with technology, then he is stuck in a late 19th/early 20th century mindset which lead to Titanic.

Hey, there was nothing wrong with the Titanic; it was the iceberg that was the problem. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2017, 02:27 AM
(13-11-2017 07:14 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I am an engineer as well, and not all engineers think like your friend does. If he thinks we can solve everything with technology, then he is stuck in a late 19th/early 20th century mindset which lead to Titanic.

Hey, there was nothing wrong with the Titanic; it was the iceberg that was the problem. Smile

Yes, i know.
The specifications explicitly said that it had to be able to stay afloat with 4 sections flooded. Not the fault of the engineers if the customer floods 5 sections!

Other examples of bad press for engineers: Rolleyes
Hindenburg
Apollo13
Challenger
Columbia
Ford Pinto

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-11-2017, 05:58 PM
(14-11-2017 02:27 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(13-11-2017 07:14 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Hey, there was nothing wrong with the Titanic; it was the iceberg that was the problem. Smile

Yes, i know.
The specifications explicitly said that it had to be able to stay afloat with 4 sections flooded. Not the fault of the engineers if the customer floods 5 sections!

Other examples of bad press for engineers: Rolleyes
Hindenburg
Apollo13
Challenger
Columbia
Ford Pinto

Let's not forget the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
16-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Whoever thought up the Maginot line.

16-11-2017, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2017 01:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-11-2017 08:15 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Whoever thought up the Maginot line.

Mr. Maginot, of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line

My ethics differ in that I don't want two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Since this came up in my other thread:

Who thinks "halal" meat preparation should be an illegal trade? I do, because someone's personal superstitions/beliefs should not justify unnecessary suffering to animals. If I was to start a new religion which required some other obviously cruel method of slaughter, I'd be told to fuck off, quite rightly.

I don't know why you'd want to worship a being that creates these animals and then wants you to make them suffer, instead of just making things so you can kill them cleanly and painlessly and still get whatever mystical benefit it's suppose to have. (I know in reality it's just health and safety for primitives which has achieved legendary status.)

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2017, 08:18 AM
(17-11-2017 01:08 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Who thinks "halal" meat preparation should be an illegal trade? I do, because someone's personal superstitions/beliefs should not justify unnecessary suffering to animals.

You'd have to make "Kosher" illegal also. Basically the same requirements for meat preparation.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
17-11-2017, 10:30 AM
(17-11-2017 08:18 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(17-11-2017 01:08 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Who thinks "halal" meat preparation should be an illegal trade? I do, because someone's personal superstitions/beliefs should not justify unnecessary suffering to animals.

You'd have to make "Kosher" illegal also. Basically the same requirements for meat preparation.

Oh really? In that case, I would lobby for that to be illegal too.

Why should poor animals, who are already at our mercy, have to go through extra suffering because some people can't let go of ancient fairy tales?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2017, 01:01 PM
(05-11-2017 03:27 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  What things do you consider to be ethical, unethical or neutral that you feel your country generally views as being in a different category?

Or do you feel your personal views pretty much line up with the popular opinion?

1) I believe that I should compost my toilet waste and use it as fertilizer.
2) I am opposed to the American love affair with cars.
3) I am not obsessed with celebrities.
4) I believe that the wealthiest citizens are among the least productive.
5) Our homes are way too big.
6) I don't believe that everyone should have to have a job, and actually believe that many of the jobs that people are doing would be better left undone.
7) I believe that education should be a meritocracy, in which it is free for those who merit it through sustained good grades.
8) I believe that the value of real estate should be fixed so that people can not speculate on real estate inflation.
9) I believe that the lowest 2 economic quintiles should unionize and cooperate for the purpose of creating a more affordable world.
10) I believe that we must work out a way to create a viable Universal Basic Income.
[+] 2 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post
17-11-2017, 01:13 PM
(09-11-2017 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 05:05 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have a friend who thinks this way. He is not the least bit worried about global warming -- we'll just solve the problem with technology, like we always have. Now, this guy is considerably smarter than I am, so I have to respect his views, but he's an engineer, with an engineer's mentality, and I don't think science and engineering are capable of solving every problem. I'm extremely skeptical that technology is going to bail us out of the global warming problem, and I certainly don't want to put all my eggs in that basket.

I am an engineer as well, and not all engineers think like your friend does. If he thinks we can solve everything with technology, then he is stuck in a late 19th/early 20th century mindset which lead to Titanic.

If you want deeper insight into the mindset of real engineers, try this:
http://www.geekthing.com/~robf/humour/engineer.html

Right, I'm not disrespecting engineers -- I worked in an engineering lab myself for many years (as a technician, not an engineer). That's actually where I know this guy from. He's a very good engineer (in the electronics field), but also very right-wing, so maybe there's a bit of bias working there. He hates the government, and doesn't like them interfering with things, so that's part of it. Even very intelligent people can have blinders in some areas.