How does one differentiate a deity from a highly unique and very advanced lifeform?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-11-2016, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2016 11:26 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
How does one differentiate a deity from a highly unique and very advanced lifeform?
If humanity did encounter a highly advanced, powerful, and different lifeform, then is humanity capable of being objective in such matters? Would humanity allow their various starting points and biases to explain their observations; or, would they keep an open-mind and modify (or even completely discard) their views to fit with their observations? Is humanity ready to get outside of itself and experience reality as it is (whatever that may be), rather than what they have theorized/believed it to be?

Thanks for your time and attention. Live long and prosper, TTA members and anyone else.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2016, 10:55 PM
RE: How does one differentiate a deity from a highly unique and very advanced lifeform?
I think your use of the word "we" is going to cause problems. There are various subsets of the "we" that are far outside of themselves; If we are saddled with the least free, then that all-encompassing "we" can hardly cross the street without guidance, let alone conceptualize the solar system.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
28-11-2016, 11:08 PM
RE: How does one differentiate a deity from a highly unique and very advanced lifeform?
What's a deity ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Ooooh interesting question Smile.

I think many theists would still hold onto their own religious deity and just view the advanced life form as an advanced life form and not God. I'm sure they would find some Bible passage to explain the advanced life form and/or they would think it had something to do with the rapture.

Atheists and rational theists would most likely look at the advanced life form for what it is and try to learn as much about it as possible. But that said, as with anything, biases are always inevitable as that is part of the human condition.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 12:14 AM
(28-11-2016 10:55 PM)skyking Wrote:  I think your use of the word "we" is going to cause problems. There are various subsets of the "we" that are far outside of themselves; If we are saddled with the least free, then that all-encompassing "we" can hardly cross the street without guidance, let alone conceptualize the solar system.

You are quite correct, skyking. More importantly, I should have given more time and thought to this post. Nevertheless, I've attempted to modify my post and replaced the problematic "we" term with the more specific "humanity" term. Thank you for your feed back, sir.

P.S. I apologize for this post. Perhaps another member can ask a similar question in a more effective and better way in the future.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
30-11-2016, 04:10 PM
(28-11-2016 10:30 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  If humanity did encounter a highly advanced, powerful, and different lifeform, then is humanity capable of being objective in such matters? Would humanity allow their various starting points and biases to explain their observations; or, would they keep an open-mind and modify (or even completely discard) their views to fit with their observations? Is humanity ready to get outside of itself and experience reality as it is (whatever that may be), rather than what they have theorized/believed it to be?

Thanks for your time and attention. Live long and prosper, TTA members and anyone else.

The aliens would actually present themselves, we could see them and they wouldn't hide, that would be one way that it would be different from a deity.

Though it's fun to consider, how would people react to a far superior alien race? It might be something we will have to confront soon:

'Alien Megastructure' Star Keeps Getting Stranger

So lets say that aliens built a megastructure around star KIC 8462852, something that dwarfs anything we could conceive of, that belittles every human achievement in history.

How do you square the existence of such beings with the silly myth of Genesis? We are mere insects compared to such a race, we wouldn't even merit attention by any god, if a god did exist, these beings would be the ones that god would call first.

Such a megastructure literally dwarfs the entire concept of the god-created firmament proposed in Genesis, even god becomes an ant compared to their achievements.

I dunno, how could we really reconcile our ridiculous and inferior species when compared to such a species of vastly superior intelligence and power?

Deny reality, that's your only option.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
30-11-2016, 04:57 PM
It's an arbitrary distinction. Completely subjective. It's up to the individual with those predisposed to woo more likely to capitulate.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
30-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Semantics. We can call it whatever we want without being wrong.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Or we just quote Kent Brockman,

"I, for one, worship our new Mage-structure building Overlords." Tongue

Seriously?

If non terrestrial aliens literally just turned up in kilometer and a half 'Things' that just floated randomly over the country side? (No deceleration from outer solar system. No orbital insertions. They literally just APPEARED in the sky above the planet)

Yah, they do what ever they want and I'd just be happy to keep existing.

Nothing we currently know would be a threat to beings like that.

Military posturing? Dafaq? These things control GRAVITY! How are you going to 'shoot' something that can do that and not expect to be squashed like a bug... assuming the gravity manipulating aliens even notice the shell/round/whatever bouncing off their distortion of one of the most fundamental things that they have bent entirely to their whim.

Much cheers
30-11-2016, 10:59 PM
TheInquisition Wrote:I dunno, how could we really reconcile our ridiculous and inferior species when compared to such a species of vastly superior intelligence and power?

Do you think humanity could potentially develop to such a level and become part of a community of highly advanced lifeforms? What is holding us back from growing beyond what we currently are?