How does this happen?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 10:58 AM by BikerDude.)
How does this happen?
They speak of a health care crisis and yet...
20 Highest paid CEO's in S&P 500
Health care ceo's in red.
Oops! They are all in Health Care!

Leonard S. Schleifer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (Tarrytown, N.Y.) — $47.46 million
Jeffrey M. Leiden, Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston) — $28.09 million
Larry J. Merlo, CVS Health (Woonsocket, R.I.) — $22.86 million
Robert J. Hugin, Celgene (Summit, N.J.) — $22.47 million
Alex Gorsky, Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, N.J.) — $21.13 million
Michael F. Neidorff, Centene (St. Louis) — $20.76 million
Alan B. Miller, Universal Health Services (King of Prussia, Pa.) — $20.43 million
Kenneth C. Frazier, Merck & Co. (Kenilworth, N.J.) — $19.89 million
Miles D. White, Abbott Laboratories (Chicago) — $19.41 million
John C. Martin, Gilead Sciences (Foster City, Calif.) — $18.76
Richard A. Gonzalez, AbbVie (North Chicago, Ill.) — $18.53 million
Heather Bresch, Mylan (Canonsburg, Pa.) — $18.16 million
David M. Cordani, Cigna (Bloomfield, Conn.) — $17.31 million
Mark T. Bertolini, Aetna (Hartford, Conn.) — $17.26
George A. Scangos, Biogen (Cambridge, Mass.) — $16.87 million
Robert L. Parkinson, Baxter International (Deerfield, Ill.) — $16.65 million
John C. Lechleiter, Eli Lilly & Co. (Indianapolis) — $16.56 million
Marc N. Casper, Thermo Fisher Scientific (Waltham, Mass.) — $16.31 million
Robert A. Bradway, Amgen (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) — $16.09 million
George Paz, Express Scripts Holding (St. Louis) — $14.84 million

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots...-care-ceos

There's nothing wrong with people getting rich but when we have a well publicized health care crisis and the highest cost of health care in the world how is it that the public doesn't get pissed? And they keep electing the same people in the pockets of these businesses.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like BikerDude's post
12-09-2017, 10:54 AM
RE: How does this happen?
Yup. And those 20 people and their minions, and the people who own stock in their companies - will fight tooth, claw, and political contributions to stop single-payer health care in the USA. And all too many people in Congress are bought by the companies mentioned, and we keep voting them into office. Facepalm
[+] 6 users Like Rockblossom's post
12-09-2017, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 11:05 AM by BikerDude.)
(12-09-2017 10:54 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Yup. And those 20 people and their minions, and the people who own stock in their companies - will fight tooth, claw, and political contributions to stop single-payer health care in the USA. And all too many people in Congress are bought by the companies mentioned, and we keep voting them into office. Facepalm

Aha. And as things get worse and worse and the crimes become more and more clear the police state becomes closer to reality. And all forms of protest have already been framed as a threat to the future of the country. They become more and more brazen and their toadies become further and further indoctrinated by a concerted effort on the part of a very thin media landscape controlled by a handful of very wealthy corporations. They are getting away with it. In broad daylight.
And the truth is that I'm not even insulted by their willingness to fight tooth and nail against single payer health care.
That's the effect of human frailty as in the sins of greed.
What pisses me off are the fucking everyday fist puppets on the right who have had the big zipper on the back of their fucking idiotic heads opened up and shit piled in who fight against single payer or blame the wrong people.

[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
12-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Just curious and not saying I agree with one side or the other. How would the individual tax rates in the US be affected by moving to a single-payer system, and to what extent? Is this known or has it been studied? I can't imagine the government would be able to afford single-payer based on current tax rates.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
12-09-2017, 11:27 AM
(12-09-2017 11:12 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  Just curious and not saying I agree with one side or the other. How would the individual tax rates in the US be affected by moving to a single-payer system, and to what extent? Is this known or has it been studied? I can't imagine the government would be able to afford single-payer based on current tax rates.

All the other civilized countries have single payer, and have had it for decades, like 30 and 40 years in cases.

Single payer makes it hard to price gouge, the system sets what it will pay to medical companies. Collective cost of healthcare is way lower. Way, way lower. Over your life time, you stand to save a ton. And get better care, too.

I'm not going to find the stats for you, go look it all up.

The US is completely idiotic when it comes to health care.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-09-2017, 11:39 AM
That list is a very good reminder why the American healthcare system sucks big, hairy donkey balls and likely always will.

I just paid $500 out of pocket for a biopsy because insurance only covered half. We pay thousands every year in health insurance.
The system is FUCKED.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm paying about $700 per month in premiums, plus copays and other costs associated with heathcare for my family, it comes out to about $9K to $10K on average per year. From a completely selfish standpoint, I would be able to do a lot with the majority of that money each year (or whatever's left after the tax increase).

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
12-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I figure I had better sit down when the bill comes in for my recent hospital stay and procedure. I don't need another heart attack. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-09-2017, 11:55 AM
(12-09-2017 11:39 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  That list is a very good reminder why the American healthcare system sucks big, hairy donkey balls and likely always will.

I just paid $500 out of pocket for a biopsy because insurance only covered half. We pay thousands every year in health insurance.
The system is FUCKED.

While the executives at the insurance companies make millions.
The VP's at UHC make 5-10 million, each. They also could not in any way, possibly add that kind of value to any company.
There is no possible way that this guy added this kind of value to being in his office, running UHC. It's a racket, trading on people's suffering. It's unethical.
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/.../170429946
I blame the boards. Until the day comes, when someone has the balls to sue a Compensation Committee or board for failing to met their duty of fiduciary responsibility, or the laws get changed, (and the Pharm Industry is one of, if not THE highest paid lobbying group), nothing will change.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-09-2017, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 12:09 PM by BikerDude.)
(12-09-2017 11:12 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  Just curious and not saying I agree with one side or the other. How would the individual tax rates in the US be affected by moving to a single-payer system, and to what extent? Is this known or has it been studied? I can't imagine the government would be able to afford single-payer based on current tax rates.

That's the way they scare people off.
I've lived in Canada. Here's single payer 'vs' US health care. Which at that time was OK.

US- I look at my paycheck and it has a deduction labeled something like Health Insurance. Lets say $200

Canada - I look at my paycheck and it has a deduction labeled Ontario Health Bla bla and pretty much the equivalent of $200 US. It's called a tax because it goes to the Government but it's the same amount.

The people against this stuff scare people by adding up all that and saying "OMG looks what happens to taxes!"
It's a red herring. You are just replacing these fuckers at the insurance companies.
Personally I couldn't give one fuck what you call it. It's the same fucking thing. But with a single payer system you go to any doctor or hospital you want. And there isn't a giant swollen tick sucking as much as it can between my money and my health care. And because health insurance is not needed the insurance companies sell supplemental insurance for dirt cheap. Like $25 a paycheck that gets you free glasses and chiropractic and massages, and health club membership and all sorts of other stuff.
But it's the end of the party for the health care industry and big pharma.
They are behind the disinformation.

[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post