How far away are we from creating a mini sun and powering ships with black holes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 11:28 AM
How far away are we from creating a mini sun and powering ships with black holes?
Okay i am in the midst of playing Starcraft 2 legacy of the Void.
In that game the Protoss Ship is powered by an artificial mini sun.

Now my question is i read somewhere that scientists are experimenting on creating artificial suns?
My question is how far away are we from having a working plan on creating actual mini suns maybe at the size of a football or a beach ball (don´t know if there is a minimum size before actual fusion like that in the sun can occur).

Also i remember reading somewhere that it is possible to draw power from artificial black holes.
My question is how exactly would such a thing work?
Let´s say you where able to create a mini black hole with a lifespan of a few 100 years or so.
How would you go about making it give any kind of power, to your space ship or whatever you might want to power?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 11:29 AM
RE: How far away are we from creating a mini sun and powering ships with black holes?
(23-11-2015 11:28 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  Okay i am in the midst of playing Starcraft 2 legacy of the Void.

Now my question is i read somewhere that scientists are experimenting on creating artificial suns?
My question is how far away are we from having a working plan on creating actual mini suns maybe at the size of a football or a beach ball (don´t know if there is a minimum size before actual fusion like that in the sun can occur).

Also i remember reading somewhere that it is possible to draw power from artificial black holes.
Let´s say you where able to create a mini black hole with a lifespan of a few 100 years or so.
How would you go about making it give any kind of power, to your space ship or whatever you might want to power?

The sun is undergoing nuclear reactions. Ships are already powered that way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-11-2015, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 12:35 PM by I Am.)
RE: How far away are we from creating a mini sun and powering ships with black holes?
(23-11-2015 11:28 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  Also i remember reading somewhere that it is possible to draw power from artificial black holes.

Since we're talking sci-fi, what you do is columnate the black hole's gravitons and direct them toward your destination. Acceleration can asymptotically approach an inverse-cube relationship to distance in a hypothetically perfect transfer of gravitons, greatly exceeding normal gravitic speeds that are inverse-square. Just remember to pop the clutch and coast as you approach C, otherwise deceleration wears your brake pads out too fast. :-D
23-11-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm probably wrong here, but I thought the reason stars don't just explode when they first form is because of mass. The mass causes enough inward gravity to balance the outward nuclear reaction. Something the size of a football wouldn't have enough mass to contain the reaction, it would just be a nuclear bomb.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Same reason that you can't make a nuclear bomb that fits in a golf ball.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-11-2015, 12:53 PM
At work.

Would recommend the site "Atomic Rockets" though finding exact answer might not happen immediately.

Will try post some ideas later.
23-11-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 01:26 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
We haven't managed to create artificial black holes yet, so we're a long way off from creating anything that could be powered by black holes, assuming that's even possible. I'm guessing that would require exotic matter of some kind to keep the black hole from sucking everything in, thus defeating the purpose. Seems like it would probably be too impractical, unless the energy output was so great that it could not be acquired through other means, but it would still be extremely dangerous. I'm not even sure how one would go about testing such a device. Anything Sun-powered would require sustainable fusion, which has always been 50 years away. So, indeterminable.

23-11-2015, 06:32 PM
(23-11-2015 12:30 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm probably wrong here, but I thought the reason stars don't just explode when they first form is because of mass. The mass causes enough inward gravity to balance the outward nuclear reaction. Something the size of a football wouldn't have enough mass to contain the reaction, it would just be a nuclear bomb.

Well mass doesn´t always equal size, black holes are a brilliant example of this.
So in theory if you take enough matter and compress it enough, you can get the mass required for fusion without it getting the size of our own star.

The biggest problem i can see with this approach is that with greater mass comes greater gravity, so even if we could make a star the size of a blimp or even smaller, it´s gravity and heat would require some unique containment or it would more or less burn all of America (or half of it) and it would probably tear the earth apart.
23-11-2015, 06:37 PM
(23-11-2015 12:03 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:28 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  Also i remember reading somewhere that it is possible to draw power from artificial black holes.

Since we're talking sci-fi, what you do is columnate the black hole's gravitons and direct them toward your destination. Acceleration can asymptotically approach an inverse-cube relationship to distance in a hypothetically perfect transfer of gravitons, greatly exceeding normal gravitic speeds that are inverse-square. Just remember to pop the clutch and coast as you approach C, otherwise deceleration wears your brake pads out too fast. :-D

And you're gonna over oxidize the negative silicones in the forward ventrical!
23-11-2015, 06:39 PM
(23-11-2015 11:28 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  Okay i am in the midst of playing Starcraft 2 legacy of the Void.

Actually I hope that project is far away from my house, as in NIMBY Or not in my back yard!