How far back can you remember into childhood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 03:03 PM
How far back can you remember into childhood?
I can go back to almost 3 years old. I remember seeing our dog give birth to her puppies. My mother told me I was about 3 1/2 when that happened. My husband can only go back to about five. I wonder why some people's memories go back further than others. Memory is a fascinating part of life. Some things I thought I'd remembered I later found out were not true but were stories of my older siblings that I believed were about myself.

Ahhh. Memories....... like the corners of my mind. Misty, water colored memories...of the way we were. Sing it Barbra!!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: How far back can you remember into childhood?
I must have been about 2 1/2. The maid asked me if I could have apple juice and I lied and said yes - I knew damn well I was allergic. We no longer had a maid (she was paid by a wealthy family that was in my deceased dad's congregation to help my mom so she could work and build a resume) when Mom remarried just before I turned three.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-10-2014, 03:16 PM
I must have been around 2 (I know I wasn't older than that). My mom took me for a walk. We went into a pet store and orangutan grabbed my jacket.

My mom slapped it's hand away.

So yes, I just realized I'm old enough to remember when pet stores sold monkeys.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I can remember the death of Elvis. I was 3...
There are other things before that but it might be that I don't actually remember them. It could be that stories were told to me at a young age and I only think I can remember them. This might be the case with Elvis but that "memory" seems very clear to me.
Our memories aren't as good as we might think so who knows....
09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
I very clearly remember being in a pram... Holding a big squishy cube with bells inside.

I must've been only a few months old.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I can't really be sure, but I remember a lot of stuff that took place in our first house and my parents moved to another house when I was 6, so those things were before that. I remember the day of my uncle's funeral very clearly (I remember the suit my dad wore, and that it was very hot outside), and he died when I was 5. I also remember times when he was alive, which must have been before that.I definitely remember stuff from preschool when I was 5. I can't be sure of exactly how far before that, though. I remember there was a pet budgie in the house, and I think that must have been before I turned 5.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I still remember a nightmare I had when I was under 4.
09-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Around 2.5-3 years old is as far back as mine goes.
(09-10-2014 03:32 PM)Sam Wrote:  I very clearly remember being in a pram... Holding a big squishy cube with bells inside.

I must've been only a few months old.

As far as I'm aware, episodic memory isn't fully functioning until around two years of age. Not sure how you could be remembering any of that.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I remember preschool a tiny bit but that's about it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-10-2014, 03:46 PM
One of my earliest memories was when I was about 3. We were at my grandparents' farm for Christmas. I know from pictures that I was wearing a red velvet dress but I remember my aunt riding out of the parlor into the living room on my Christmas gift - a tricycle.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF