How far back can you remember into childhood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 04:02 PM
RE: How far back can you remember into childhood?
I can remember when my mom had me on my birthday. Tongue

We had a "dinner table" game (I think my sister started it) when we were kids, where we did this ..... go back and back, and one of my sisters started interrupting anything, anytime that she thought would "beat" her *earlier* memory with an "Ahcan remember"... "Ahcan"..."Ahcan"... "I can remember" .... It degenerated to "Well, I can remember when mom had me on my birthday".

Now out of the blue, if anyone starts to say "I can remember"(...something...anything)...someone will interrupt her with "Ahcan".

Guess ya had to be there. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I can remember snapshots of when I was around two. I don't get "movie-like" memories until somewhere between four and six.

(09-10-2014 03:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder why some people's memories go back further than others.

NPR did a piece on this a few months back. Supposedly, kids can remember a lot of their childhood, but they start to lose the early stuff around eight or nine. You can work with them before that to get them to cement some early memories if you talk about them several times.
09-10-2014, 04:09 PM
My earliest memory is watching my mother moving coal from a communal coal shed into a dustbin. Years later learned that at the time the only source of heat in the house was a coal fire and she wanted to hoard as much coal as possible before the mines got closed down.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-10-2014, 04:22 PM
I think I remember being in a hotel room seeing a Saturn V rocket on the launch pad on the TV. My dad seems to remember it too, I would have been about three years old for the Apollo 11 launch.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I can remember random things from living in Alaska when I was around 3, but before that it's just visualizations of stories I've been told.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
09-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I can remember (almost) falling out of a moving car. I somehow had moved the handle and the door opened. The visual of the curb passing by so fast is still vivid. My father reached over and grabbed me, or I would have been an oily spot on the road. Age - somewhere around 2, probably 2 1/2 because it was warm out.

Yes, I remember life before seat belts.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
09-10-2014, 07:24 PM
(09-10-2014 03:42 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Around 2.5-3 years old is as far back as mine goes.
(09-10-2014 03:32 PM)Sam Wrote:  I very clearly remember being in a pram... Holding a big squishy cube with bells inside.

I must've been only a few months old.

As far as I'm aware, episodic memory isn't fully functioning until around two years of age. Not sure how you could be remembering any of that.

Its clear as day...

I even remember crying when I dropped the squishy thing over the side...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 07:25 PM
My second birthday.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I have memories from when I was around 2-3 of my parents fighting in our Las Vegas apartment, as well as a glass ashtray falling on me and my mom rushing me to a bathtub.

I have a scar underneath/above my right eye from where a cocker spaniel bit me in the face whenever I was around 2-3. I remember vague portions of the incident happening, as well as a doctor asking my mom about stitches whenever I had gotten to the hospital. I don't remember the stitches, or if I got them, but I remember him sponging the wound below my eye.

Basically I just remember traumatizing stuff. Smile
09-10-2014, 07:31 PM
A lot of people seem to have memories going back to around 2 to 3 years of age. This is around the threshold for "childhood amensia." This is because the brain is not yet fully developed.

* http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...135705.htm
* http://io9.com/5870377/new-evidence-that...-years-old

My earliest memory is from around that range, too. I had seizures as a baby, and so I remember my mother taking me to the hospital to have suction cup electrodes attached to my head. She is surprised that I remember it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post