How far back can you remember into childhood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: How far back can you remember into childhood?
(09-10-2014 03:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I must have been around 2 (I know I wasn't older than that). My mom took me for a walk. We went into a pet store and orangutan grabbed my jacket.

My mom slapped it's hand away.

So yes, I just realized I'm old enough to remember when pet stores sold monkeys.

Dodgy

Wow. 2 years old? That's early. I wonder why some peoples memories can go back so far and others can't. I know scientists have studied memory but I wonder if there is some sort of pattern to early childhood memories. Do little girls remember more than little boys do?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Sporadic images back to 4 or 5.

Of course, in my case that was 60 years ago.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-10-2014, 09:08 PM
(09-10-2014 08:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 03:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I must have been around 2 (I know I wasn't older than that). My mom took me for a walk. We went into a pet store and orangutan grabbed my jacket.

My mom slapped it's hand away.

So yes, I just realized I'm old enough to remember when pet stores sold monkeys.

Dodgy

Wow. 2 years old? That's early. I wonder why some peoples memories can go back so far and others can't. I know scientists have studied memory but I wonder if there is some sort of pattern to early childhood memories. Do little girls remember more than little boys do?

I have a LOT of vivid early childhood memories . I experienced a lot of loss very young. Also, few people move 13 times before graduating from high school, with most of the moves before age 12. It helps ground the time period of different experiences based on location and who was present.

Memories I'm willing to share before age three in what I think is numerical order:

The green shag nursery floor of my grandmothers church and looking up at the drop side cribs and across the room - this one is not verified but my grandmother thinks it's legit

The maid asking me about apple juice and me lying

Cutting my palm with mom's razor figuring out how it worked

Eating a piece of fish and my mouth swelling and I had trouble breathing

Trying to get the male neighbor's attention while he was riding the lawn mower and calling him Daddy because I thought it was just another name like Sue or Jacob

Eating peanut butter and my mouth swelling/burning and vomiting

Hiding and peeing behind the living room curtain when my now dad came over to the house for the first time - I was terrified of most men

Hiding behind the recliner because I was afraid of my step-step (?) grandfather (was just my soon to be step grandmother's boyfriend at the time) who used to be 6'7" because, once again, terrified of men

Hiding in the corner of the yard at my grandmother'a house under the rose bush because I was afraid of someone finding me

My paternal grandmother's patio at the river house with her herb garden. Also getting in the tornado shelter there with all of the spider webs. And the strange man in the trailer next door.

A nightmare about a dragon destroying my house and drinking out of a tea cup it stole from the china cabinet

My maid's church - everyone danced and clapped and it was really loud (African American congregation)

Watching the weird sorta claymation Christmas movie with the abominable snowman and a weird whale.

My aunt's wedding - my brother reminded me I was supposed to toss the flower petals, I didn't understand him, so I remember dumping the basket towards the front of the aisle in one large pile and then everyone laughed at me

Being spanked for "lying" about having an Aunt Ladybug by my soon to be dad. Her name was Linda and I didn't know I wasn't saying it correctly.

My brother's 7th birthday party at the skating rink and me going around the rink on my yellow fisher price skates that made weird noises and didn't actually roll

My mom's wedding - the wrist corsage was really itchy and then everyone was staring at me and there was a gross creepy man with a mustache that made me uncomfortable - I'd later learn he was my step uncle and as an adult I learned he was fired from his job as a teacher for being a predator, and even married one of his students. My feet hurt as I stood at the front and I didn't think it would ever end.

A girl at church that was mean and her name was Barbie

Being told Aunt Linda died. I already understood that meant I wouldn't see her again.

Sitting in the back of a police car and being driven home when my grandmother'a car died in a "bad" part of town. I.e. Low income black neighborhood (just telling it like it is - 1980s Alabama still had a long way to go with racial prejudice, and children that young are very perceptive. "My" maid lived on that street. I was very confused as to why I was supposed to be scared)

Getting glitter in my left eye and having it dug out.

My step grandmother's wedding - I remember watching from the back of the church and being upset that I couldn't see and that I wasn't the flower girl because that was my "job"

Riding my bicycle down the driveway with training wheels and almost going out into the rode on accident because of the slope

Trying to pack my dolls because we were moving. The big green 1950s flatbed truck and cattle trailer we used to make multiple trips back and forth for the move to the farm

Getting in trouble for throwing rocks from the flower bed on the sidewalk and having to sweep it up. That was a day or two before I turned three.

I also remember my third birthday party VERY well. But then, I was three, and memories after that are much more detailed.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
10-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Childhood? I hardly remember my adulthood.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
10-10-2014, 05:22 AM
(09-10-2014 03:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can go back to almost 3 years old. I remember seeing our dog give birth to her puppies. My mother told me I was about 3 1/2 when that happened. My husband can only go back to about five. I wonder why some people's memories go back further than others. Memory is a fascinating part of life. Some things I thought I'd remembered I later found out were not true but were stories of my older siblings that I believed were about myself.

Ahhh. Memories....... like the corners of my mind. Misty, water colored memories...of the way we were. Sing it Barbra!!

I wish I could remember more of my childhood; I can barely remember anything, and those events I do remember, I rarely remember my age, but here's what I can remember:

I must be 2-something years old: I am pushing a ball across the floor to another child, occasionally we make a noise to each other. The floor is whitey-cream colour vinyl tile sort of deal. The child leaves.
I later learned that this was a speech pathology centre I was taken to for a while, this was because I did not speak until sometime after 3 years old. Apparently I communicated my desires with bursts or 'a/eh' sorts of noises accompanied by gestures.

I remember maybe a year later, I was in a kindy strolling around on my own. I start playing with a lose brick. I don't remember what happened next.
I vaguely remember peeing on the slide at the kindy at some point but I have no idea when.
I remember the Kindy photo day; I refused to smile when the photographer said to say 'cheese' because I thought it was stupid.

Around the age of four or five, I remember vividly one incident more fresh than most: I was wandering in the backyard barefoot, going to dig in the aviary-come-sandpit. I feel a sudden, searing pain in my right foot. I scream and clutch at the foot, hopping a little. My sister comes out and guides me to a little wicker chair, she looks at my foot and grabs the hose and starts trying to wash out the wound; I am crying and I recall blood seeping freely from the wound. The cold water increases the pain. I don't know how long I was like that, but my parents return from, something. They both rush out hearing me bawling. My father takes over my sisters duty. I don't remember exactly what happened next. I remember that a European wasp had embedded itself in my foot. I was lectured about going outside without my shoes on.
I was afraid of the sandpit for a long time afterwards.
My foot tingles at the memory.

I remember my rabbit. His name was Thumper. I used to play with him by chasing him around the yard. One time I chased him into his hutch; the door closes and seals behind me. I'm trapped. That bastard rabbit is on the outside of the hutch.
I remember finding him dead. It was quite a while after the above. I feel like I was five or six, but my sense of time is not great to say the least so I can't say for sure. I woke up early that day and decided to go feed him. He was laying in his hutch, not moving. Something was wrong. I moved closer. His pure-white foot had a dark red patch and a piece of chicken wire coming out of it. I stood, unable to comprehend some vegetables in hand. I remember crying. Next thing I remember was later that day, Thumper was wrapped in a towel and buried. I cried, and cried. I must have cried for two or three days. My first personal experience with death.

I remember being in Year Three, around 8 years old. It was my classes Reading Time: we were to pick a book and read it; the teacher would use this time to assess how we were developing. I had refused to participate; I had never read a book on my own. My teacher sat me down and told me I had to; I was to pick any book I wanted and and read aloud to her. I went off and returned with a Doctor Who novel; (I believe it was based on the 70's doctor, the one with the huge scarf) my father had watched an old black-and-white Doctor Who episode and that sparked my choice. I returned and showed my teacher. She took the book away and told me to get an easier book; that one was for older students. Being the petulant shit I was (and am) I snatched it back and stubbornly started reading aloud: I was going to show her! I stumbled a little, but did remarkably well for a person who had never read for themselves prior.
My teacher then told me off.

I have no idea when this one happened: I loved digging as a child, so I regularly dug in the sandpit. At some point I got tired of using my hands, so I grabbed my bike: I used the bike as a bucket-wheel excavator. Some time after that I was using my bike to excavate the big whole I was working when I uncovered something red. I kept digging and shouted in terror once the mystery thing was exposed; it was a huge red spider-thing.
I have never seen anything remotely like it ever since.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I remember a time when I was in daycare, I remember a kid coming off my right side telling me to get out of his way and pushing me off the back of the slide steps. Never even getting to go down the slide one time yet. I cried as I hit the bottom and I remember a woman, that I think was blonde, running up to me and the other kids looking back down at me in surprise.

Also, from a picture I saw of me and my grandmother and my older sister, standing by the bride. From that picture, I vaguely remember my grandmother coming for a visit from the other state over and me and them going for a walk.

It isn't the kind of memory where you can remember going somewhere, but the kind where you "know" it happened and can mentally picture maybe a scene or two. I think I remember my sister saying something about not looking over the side of the bridge or mentioning something about holding hands to be careful while on the walk way.

I dunno.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Worth remembering (ha ha! is joke!) that however vivid such memories might seem, they're entirely unreliable.

Rehearsing memories reconstructs them, but never, after so many years, in quite the same way...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
10-10-2014, 03:41 PM
(10-10-2014 12:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Worth remembering (ha ha! is joke!) that however vivid such memories might seem, they're entirely unreliable.

Rehearsing memories reconstructs them, but never, after so many years, in quite the same way...

Some of my memories which I swore were true ended up being some of my siblings experiences but I heard the stories so many times when I was little I guess I got confused and thought they were about me.

One of the very early memories I have that took me outside of my childhood world was the JFK assassination and particularly his funeral. I was four. I still remember the muffled drums and Jackie Kennedy. Yes, I'm THAT OLD!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-10-2014, 03:49 PM
(10-10-2014 03:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of the very early memories I have that took me outside of my childhood world was the JFK assassination and particularly his funeral. I was four. I still remember the muffled drums and Jackie Kennedy. Yes, I'm THAT OLD!

Jeez that's like ancient history to me Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I have clear, coherent memories going back to age 5 or so, when I was in kindergarten. But, I have sporadic, random memories going back earlier. I remember things about the house my grandparents moved from when I was around 3 or so. I remember a day with my cousins when I was just past 2. Not the whole day, just some random flashes.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost