How far back can you remember into childhood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: How far back can you remember into childhood?
(10-10-2014 03:49 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 03:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of the very early memories I have that took me outside of my childhood world was the JFK assassination and particularly his funeral. I was four. I still remember the muffled drums and Jackie Kennedy. Yes, I'm THAT OLD!

Jeez that's like ancient history to me Laugh out load
Oh, shut up. I can't help it that I'm older. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 05:00 AM by Nìmwey.)
Haven't read the thread:
It seems there's a lot of people who can't remember further back than five years, I've found.

I have tons of memories before that age, when I was 3-4, and many even earlier. My earliest memory was my first xmas, when I was seven months and four days old. Tongue I clearly remember the hard plastic bunny I got as a present, with one ear up and one down, and I was biting the one that was up.

I also have an extremely early memory, I think before I was one year old, which is just a blurry memory of my mom putting me down in the stroller and something about us going to my grandparents (who lived very close). (I don't know how much babies of that age understand of spoken words, but since one year is around the time they start forming a few words, they should understand a bit of what the adults are saying.)

Then I remember being in a bathhouse, and my dad and sister went back-first down a waterslide that started as the mouth/face of Iku-Turso, a creature in finnish mythology, and I remember thinking they were crazy and that I would never do that. We visited Finland when I was two, and that's my only memory from that (and so, I can be sure of how old I was).
Then I have, like I said, tons of memories from when I was 3-4, too numerous to mention.

And I'm not even that extreme, some really extreme people have memories of their mothers heartbeat while still inside the womb. O_o My brother claims he remembers being baptized, maybe three months old (at least that's how old I was when I was baptized).
For me, it may have to do with being autistic, that I have such weird way of preserving memories. I can keep track of enormous amounts of details, and in contrast, my short-term memory, like of what I was thinking or talking about TWO SECONDS AGO - is bloody awful. I forget what I was thinking about all. the. time.

"Because God did it" isn't an answer, you incredible retard.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 07:39 AM
This subject always makes me feel like a weirdo. I have zero memories before I was 9, not a one. Between 9-14 is so jumbled up as to be almost completely unreliable.

Concussions! Hazzah! :/

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
13-10-2014, 07:54 AM
I have loads of memories from a house that we moved out of when I was 5. Some fun, some scary, some where I got in trouble, some just odd things. They are all very vivid- the entire house, the cabinets, the carpet, the lights, toys that we had.

I even remeber the milkman delivering milk in glass bottles. When I look back at photo's of those times I must have been between 2-5

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-10-2014, 08:00 AM
the seatbelts comment made me Lol.
My parents had more kids than they could barely afford. I was telling my kids the other day about " my seat" in the car.

My Dad drove I think a 1965 Dodge van. I was the youngest, my "seat" was on top of the engine. They put a throw rug on top of it so my legs wouldnt get burned. Dodgy I assume this was once I was too big to hold on my moms lap.

Here's a link to the car, if you scroll down you can see what I mean

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/vans.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Well I left my first home at the age of 4 and have several memories from my time living there. The problem is that I can't put dates on these memories but guess that I can go back to age 2-3.
13-10-2014, 06:22 PM
I have quite a few memories that must be from age 3 or 4, we moved to another town when I was 5.

Seeing a drummer on TV and deciding I wanted to do that.
My mum listening to Abba in the kitchen.
My dad stopping the car away from the house and telling me that grandad had died and mummy would be upset when we got inside. I don't know exactly how I reacted to that news.
Trying to cut down the For Sale sign with a nail file because I didn't want to move.

Strangely, I can hardly remember anything from later school years. I think perhaps I've blocked a lot because they were not happy times.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
13-10-2014, 06:51 PM
(10-10-2014 03:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of the very early memories I have that took me outside of my childhood world was the JFK assassination and particularly his funeral. I was four. I still remember the muffled drums and Jackie Kennedy. Yes, I'm THAT OLD!

This is the first big news event I remember being on TV. I was six. It was announced when I was at school and all the teachers were real upset. My mom was flopped across the bed crying when I got home. I remember JohnJohn's salute and the veil over Jackie's face as she stood with Bobby and Ted Kennedy and the children, as well as the riderless caisson.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
13-10-2014, 07:17 PM
I have snapshots and brief scenes from age 3 and 4, and real memories from age 5 on.

Age 3 at my grandmother's house: the stairs to the third floor were tread, no risers and were terrifying; my older siblings in her back yard setting off firecrackers; and nearby, the train tunnel under Mount Royal.
At my great aunt and uncle's house in Fredericton Junction, NB: playing in the river, looking up the hill to their house; the train with a steam locomotive crossing the bridge.
At my other great aunt and uncle's house in St. Stephen, NB: the huge oak trees that lined the drive into their farm; the barns and sheds, cows and dogs.

Age 4 I remember a summer day when I had the mumps, watching from the door as my sibs and their friends running down the lawn and jumping into the wading pool; walking with my mother as she walked my sister to school; bobbing for apples at a Halloween party; watching the rain during Hurricane Carol.

But at age 5, I have more complete stories, like the time my friend and I were walking across the frozen manure run-out from their dairy barn and fell through to the warm, unfrozen underneath - up to our waists. My mother wasn't happy. No And playing in the hayloft in the barn at the house where we had kindergarten.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-10-2014, 07:28 PM
One night a few years ago I was drifting off to sleep and all these early memories came flooding in from early childhood. The earliest one I was 13 months old and learning to walk. It was in the kitchen. I remember not understanding my moms words but I knew her tone was not happy, I was headed for the stairs. She picked me up and put the baby gate up. I remember the brown tile, the wood railing, the green vinyl chairs with brown legs and suction cup looking ends on them. The house was musty smelling. I called mom after remembering this and it blew her mind, the details matched.