How far can we go with artificial selection?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 01:54 PM
How far can we go with artificial selection?
I always wondered what we can do with it? I thought what if our species spent millions of years making lizards to evolve into dragons, with wings and can walk on both two and four legs. Or if we make a new weird animal, in fact I want to have a aquatic animal that evolved from cats. It sounds retarded but I wonder if over the very long time, if our species lives that long, we can make said animals real.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 01:57 PM
RE: How far can we go with artificial selection?
What would be the point of that other than our own pleasure?

Also, you wouldn't be able to introduce traits that are completely nonexistent (e.g. wings to lizards).

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
(08-04-2014 01:57 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What would be the point of that other than our own pleasure?

Also, you wouldn't be able to introduce traits that are completely nonexistent (e.g. wings to lizards).

Well we could but it would take millllllllllions of years. We could make lizards jump. Some dragons are wingless. So we can make them evolve into a giant dragon like animal with now wings. Then we take it from there by forcing them to evolve.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-04-2014, 02:05 PM
(08-04-2014 01:59 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 01:57 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  What would be the point of that other than our own pleasure?

Well we could but it would take millllllllllions of years. We could make lizards jump. Some dragons are wingless. So we can make them evolve into a giant dragon like animal with now wings. Then we take it from there by forcing them to evolve.

I still think we can't really force evolution. We may be able to make certain traits stronger, but we can't control the genes in order to make exactly what we want (at least not so far).

It's like what we do with dogs. We can make them smaller, bigger, smarter, but we can't make them grow wings if there's no such predisposition. Even in millions of years. We can only manipulate predispositions.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
(08-04-2014 02:05 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 01:59 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Well we could but it would take millllllllllions of years. We could make lizards jump. Some dragons are wingless. So we can make them evolve into a giant dragon like animal with now wings. Then we take it from there by forcing them to evolve.

I still think we can't really force evolution. We may be able to make certain traits stronger, but we can't control the genes in order to make exactly what we want (at least not so far).

It's like what we do with dogs. We can make them smaller, bigger, smarter, but we can't make them grow wings if there's no such predisposition. Even in millions of years. We can only manipulate predispositions.

One can dream. I want dragons to evolve right now if I could. I want to be a dragon tamer.

08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm no biologist, but I believe that there are upper limits on certain things like size. For example, you couldn't selectively breed dogs for size until you got a 1000 lb chihuahua. It's internal structure wouldn't be able to handle it.

Then again, if you had millions of years to do so, you may be able to force evolution to create new/improved structures that could handle it.

Anyone who actually knows about this stuff want to keep me from talking out of my ass here?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
08-04-2014, 02:10 PM
(08-04-2014 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm no biologist, but I believe that there are upper limits on certain things like size. For example, you couldn't selectively breed dogs for size until you got a 1000 lb chihuahua. It's internal structure wouldn't be able to handle it.

Then again, if you had millions of years to do so, you may be able to force evolution to create new/improved structures that could handle it.

Anyone who actually knows about this stuff want to keep me from talking out of my ass here?

I think it is probable. The thing about it is when we try something like this we would need to work on this for years. We would need to give a selective pressure for these animals to breath fire and sprout wings. And it would take too damn long to make them able to talk.

08-04-2014, 02:56 PM
(08-04-2014 02:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm no biologist, but I believe that there are upper limits on certain things like size. For example, you couldn't selectively breed dogs for size until you got a 1000 lb chihuahua. It's internal structure wouldn't be able to handle it.

I think it is probable. The thing about it is when we try something like this we would need to work on this for years. We would need to give a selective pressure for these animals to breath fire and sprout wings. And it would take too damn long to make them able to talk.

Don't forget that due to pressure from the environment, organisms not only involve, they also die. They mostly die actually.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
(08-04-2014 02:56 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 02:10 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I think it is probable. The thing about it is when we try something like this we would need to work on this for years. We would need to give a selective pressure for these animals to breath fire and sprout wings. And it would take too damn long to make them able to talk.

Don't forget that due to pressure from the environment, organisms not only involve, they also die. They mostly die actually.

This would also take longer thanks to genetic bottle necks

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Or,we could just geneticly modify them to have wings,just ike we created biolumiscent fish,mice,cats and sheep

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....