How far can we go with artificial selection?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 08:26 AM
RE: How far can we go with artificial selection?
(08-04-2014 01:54 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I always wondered what we can do with it? I thought what if our species spent millions of years making lizards to evolve into dragons, with wings and can walk on both two and four legs. Or if we make a new weird animal, in fact I want to have a aquatic animal that evolved from cats. It sounds retarded but I wonder if over the very long time, if our species lives that long, we can make said animals real.

You might want to think about something called "corn."
Also you may want to research "randy lewis."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
09-04-2014, 02:56 PM
(08-04-2014 06:45 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 03:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  ... Dragons?

As in the European badass, fire spitting winged lizards of doom?

That would be cool, but I'd bet that even if humans went into the genes specifically and selected, we'd not get that. I mean, it'd be the same thing as breading a pegasus, the musculature is simply no there for one and how would we even go about influencing in that direction?

Not to mention the whole internal flamethrowers... We wouldn't even be able to go the transgenic route on that one!

The fire would have to be more than 10 million years before it happens

I doubt that it could ever happen.

I mean, 'stranger' things have appeared in the various kingdoms, but as far as I'm aware, the capacity to cause and then direct combustion isn't among them in even an incredibly rudimentary form.

That is to say; the how fuck would it work?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Only sort of related. But this thread reminded me of this TED talks