How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado to cancel it out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 09:27 PM
How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado to cancel it out?
In almost every Superhero comic or tv-show we often see this method used.
A tornado is heading towards a heavily populated city, so the hero either runs or flies out to the tornado and starts running counter to its rotation, thus creating a pressure that cancels it out.

My question is if this happened using real life physics just how fast would the hero has to run or fly to cancel a city destroying tornado?
And would the tornado just disappear with nothing else happening or what would actually happen to the area surrounding the tornado if such a technique was used?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2017, 09:55 PM
RE: How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado
If the superhero had the ability to greatly alter his surface area, the tornado could get dissipated pretty damn fast.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-02-2017, 12:10 AM
RE: How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado to cancel it out?
(01-02-2017 09:55 PM)cactus Wrote:  If the superhero had the ability to greatly alter his surface area, the tornado could get dissipated pretty damn fast.

What do you mean surface area? do you mean alter his size or what?
02-02-2017, 06:45 AM
RE: How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado to cancel it ?
(01-02-2017 09:27 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  In almost every Superhero comic or tv-show we often see this method used.
A tornado is heading towards a heavily populated city, so the hero either runs or flies out to the tornado and starts running counter to its rotation, thus creating a pressure that cancels it out.

My question is if this happened using real life physics just how fast would the hero has to run or fly to cancel a city destroying tornado?
And would the tornado just disappear with nothing else happening or what would actually happen to the area surrounding the tornado if such a technique was used?

Pretty damn fast, a tornado is generated from rising warm air and falling cooler air in the atmosphere, it's generation point isn't on the ground, but much higher in the atmosphere. So Flash is going to have to run so fast that his activity on the ground will overwhelm what is generating the tornado in the atmosphere. This process would have a tremendous force, well beyond the speed of sound, so Flash will generate tremendous sonic booms at ground level while making such extreme atmospheric counter-currents to cancel the circular motion of the tornado, it would be absolutely devastating at ground level.

It would be less destructive to simply leave it alone because his attempts to counter it would be more destructive than the tornado.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
02-02-2017, 07:45 AM
RE: How fast would you actually have to fly/run counter to a tornado to cancel it out?
So.. basically... only Superman/Flying super hero has a chance then? Consider
02-02-2017, 07:48 AM

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-02-2017, 08:04 AM
(02-02-2017 07:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Nice scene, but i doubt 700 mph would be enough and if what the TheInquisition wrote if this where reality wouldn´t Joe´s internal organs be mush by being that close to Berry?
02-02-2017, 08:15 AM
(02-02-2017 08:04 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 07:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Nice scene, but i doubt 700 mph would be enough and if what the TheInquisition wrote if this where reality wouldn´t Joe´s internal organs be mush by being that close to Berry?

Probably but I wasn't posting it to be accurate, more so just to give an example of what you were talking about.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Well, in the case of the video, they're not actually following physics so.. it's all okay, I guess? Consider

As in the 'source' of the windstorm's energy is however that 'Meta' is generating the effect. Which puts the 'source' right there at ground level.

Heck... assuming the speeds Flash can endure are tolerable... why not synchronize with the wind wall.. slip inside and just clock the sucker? Knock the generator out... No more windy guy. Big Grin
02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
(01-02-2017 09:55 PM)cactus Wrote:  If the superhero had the ability to greatly alter his surface area, the tornado could get dissipated pretty damn fast.

That's the way to do it. Smashing into a giant wall will cause it to dissipate as it can't maintain its order and structure.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus