How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 11:09 PM
RE: How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?
Luckily religion rarely comes up as a topic anywhere I go. The most offensive thing to me is when people say "bless you" after I sneeze. Actually, the most receptive people I've found to hold a discussion with on some of the most ridiculous traditions of religion are the Jehovah's Witnesses. They seem to enjoy a good rip on the birth of jesus or idol worship or other such subject.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm open about it. I'm in a secure position personally and professionally. If friends leave due to it, I don't want that kind of friend. Plus I enjoy demonstrating that atheists are kind people. It's like a Christian with a personal testimony, except it's real.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
25-02-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm very open about it. I don't provoke an argumentative conversation about but I don't shy away anymore.
25-02-2015, 01:40 AM
I very rarely initiate the conversion. But if someone else brings it up with me, it's on.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-02-2015, 04:00 AM
I'm a retired trial lawyer and therefore very confrontational by nature. However, I rarely bring up the subject of religion but when it comes up, I do not hesitate to say I am an atheist. I am not going to overtly try to change other people's minds, but I'm certainly not going to hide my atheism to avoid offending someone. Virtually all of my friends are atheists. In fact, I have only two close friends who are believers and we never talk about religion. They, too, are lawyers so we usually talk about law. I have a hundred friends who are atheists; we don't often talk about religion either.

Since I joined this forum I have learned a LOT about the difficulties people have "coming out" to friends, co-workers, and especially family. I came out to my very religious family when I was 14 and was thrown out of my parents' house for it. I eventually got back in but we had a rocky relationship thereafter for the rest of their lives. I have learned, from the folks here, how damned difficult this is for most people and I truly sympathize. I read all of your personal stories about difficulties with family and I wish I had some words of wisdom that could fix things for all of you. I don't have any but I do sympathize.
[+] 6 users Like Black Eagle's post
25-02-2015, 05:23 AM
I am completely open about my views. I make no bones about being an atheist and a skeptic.

It is not in my nature to dissemble or avoid confrontation. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-02-2015, 06:56 AM
(24-02-2015 08:27 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I'd love to hear others' perspectives on this.

It depends a lot on the setting I'm in. As a general rule, I don't make religious or political posts on Facebook anymore. I may comment on something someone else posted, but I've been avoiding that a lot more lately, too. I've also stopped reading that FB apologetics group after getting thoroughly frustrated.

I don't talk about it a lot with my wife or other Christian relatives. The closer ones know I don't believe, but it doesn't come up much.

It will get brought up on occasion with my nonreligious friends and relatives, but not every time we talk.
25-02-2015, 07:00 AM
It's easy for me to freely talk about being an atheist.

Of course being 6 foot tall, 300 lbs and carrying a gun help.....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
25-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Here in Dublin I can be very open about being an atheist. It rarely comes up in conversation. The cathofuckinglic church have lost a lot of power in Ireland.

I have the odd discussion with a muslim colleague. According to him, me being an atheist is all part of gods plan. The only time I get into heavy arguments is when I'm confronted by muslim converts and born again christians. Annoying bastards the lot of them!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
25-02-2015, 11:26 AM
How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?
Also on the South. I do not.

Not only do the Christians get to preach and insult atheists, but so do our large pagan community.

Both groups have some major assholes.