How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?
It isn't something which really comes up on a face to face basis. People might mention church here and there, but it isn't anything disparaging to atheists. I would mention it if someone asked me directly. On social media it is obvious that I am atheist; I comment on some posts about religion and atheism, and occasionally repost articles. At my current job I now have a few co-workers added as friends, which is something I used to never do; sometimes I wonder what they think of the items which show up for my activity, but I don't think it would cause me to get fired.

I think the biggest problem would be with parents of my children's friends, or my wife's friends, if they were to know that I was an atheist. In situations around those people I keep my mouth shut.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Not a whole lot, if it's with people I know understand it even if they don't agree I will talk about it from times to times.

When someone says something I just deem so goofy and is typical of a theist troll like comment here I've walked away in the past. Like when a friend of mine at work snarkly said something to me about believing the world came form nothing. I'll still be open to talking about it to the person but not directly and when silly statements of that nature come out.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Like a flying bird. Sometimes I shit on people's head when talking about atheism

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post
25-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Completely depends on who is present, what the discussion is about, how it came up, etc....at my work (military) it is a taboo subject, but of course, people talk about it. When someone tosses it on the table, then that opens my door to engage, and engage I do. I have become confident in my knowledge, and confident in my ability to articulate my perspective in an intelligent manner. I have also become confident in what I can and cannot say in my work environment. Since the military has long embraced religion under the guise of "tradition", I had to bite my tongue for years, now, not so much.

Just my 2 cents

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
25-02-2015, 03:34 PM
When I was first emerging out of the fog of religion I did want to talk about it. I talked to my friends but kept it reeled in as they are believers and I really just wanted to talk to someone about what I was going through rather than convert people. Although I did go through a period where I was very anti-theist. Religion played a very negative role in my life and after escaping the matrix I did want to shake everyone awake.
I pipe up every now and then if it fits with conversation. Other than that, I leave it be. My friends know I'm always up to talk about it so that's enough for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post
25-02-2015, 08:02 PM
And more of the joy of living in the South. NC Senate just passed a bill 32-16 which would allow magistrates to refuse to issue marriage licenses to people if doing so would conflict with their 'deeply held religious beliefs'. Now, it goes to the NC House. It doesn't specifically address same sex marriage, but everyone knows that's what it's about. A few magistrates have resigned rather than be forced to issue same sex marriage licenses. I'm fine with that. If they can't do their damn job, they NEED to resign. Religious exemptions are bullshit.

Angry
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
25-02-2015, 08:45 PM
(25-02-2015 08:02 PM)beeglez Wrote:  And more of the joy of living in the South. NC Senate just passed a bill 32-16 which would allow magistrates to refuse to issue marriage licenses to people if doing so would conflict with their 'deeply held religious beliefs'.

Yeah, that's some real bullshit. The magistrates serve the law, and they should just buck up and do their damn jobs. It's bad that I officiated a wedding south of Raleigh a week and a half ago, but these nutjobs are having hissy fits. This is messed up.
25-02-2015, 09:57 PM
(25-02-2015 01:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Completely depends on who is present, what the discussion is about, how it came up, etc....at my work (military) it is a taboo subject, but of course, people talk about it. When someone tosses it on the table, then that opens my door to engage, and engage I do. I have become confident in my knowledge, and confident in my ability to articulate my perspective in an intelligent manner. I have also become confident in what I can and cannot say in my work environment. Since the military has long embraced religion under the guise of "tradition", I had to bite my tongue for years, now, not so much.

Just my 2 cents

When the ice finally gets broken, I'm often surprised to find out what some of the people I work with believe (or don't believe). Predictably, there are some extremely religious people in my unit who are clearly uncomfortable with the fact that I and a few others are not. We've also got a few atheists, a Buddhist, and a guy who practices a form of Celtic Paganism (meaning he actually believes it, whereas with me Nordic Paganism is more for my entertainment and Odin is more like the warrior friendly version of my spaghetti monster). But as heated as people might get during a theological discussion, none of it ever matters when shit hits the fan.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Even in the least religious state in the U.S. my atheism or anyone else"s seldom comes up. However, religion also seldom comes up. Most people are just indifferent to it, so there isn't much need to correct or confront or bite your tongue. I did live in the south and you can certainly feel a palpable difference. We can only hope the tide keeps on going in our direction.
26-02-2015, 09:15 AM
(25-02-2015 09:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 01:57 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Completely depends on who is present, what the discussion is about, how it came up, etc....at my work (military) it is a taboo subject, but of course, people talk about it. When someone tosses it on the table, then that opens my door to engage, and engage I do. I have become confident in my knowledge, and confident in my ability to articulate my perspective in an intelligent manner. I have also become confident in what I can and cannot say in my work environment. Since the military has long embraced religion under the guise of "tradition", I had to bite my tongue for years, now, not so much.

Just my 2 cents

When the ice finally gets broken, I'm often surprised to find out what some of the people I work with believe (or don't believe). Predictably, there are some extremely religious people in my unit who are clearly uncomfortable with the fact that I and a few others are not. We've also got a few atheists, a Buddhist, and a guy who practices a form of Celtic Paganism (meaning he actually believes it, whereas with me Nordic Paganism is more for my entertainment and Odin is more like the warrior friendly version of my spaghetti monster). But as heated as people might get during a theological discussion, none of it ever matters when shit hits the fan.

True. It is interesting in my office, my peer is a fundi, and so is my boss, as I sit there sipping coffee and surfing TTA Smile

[Image: 25zo1o4.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post