How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 03:13 PM
RE: How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?
Oh how I long to be so bold... I just moved over to a new position within my work establishment and my new cube-neighbors/coworkers seem to be almost entirely fundamentalists (in the CA desert, the conservative half of the state). After 2 months here I think there might be a handful of non-religious in here with me but I can't be sure since they never say anything, maybe for the same reason as me. The vocal majority is VERY religious, and several of them have about an hour per day in the afternoon set aside where they just chat about Jesus. Barf. I've joined the conversation a couple times tentatively, not announcing myself as an Atheist, but posing some thoughtful questions occasionally, like "Who created God if He created everything?" To which one replied "That's a trap!" I just smiled. :-\ These guys are all PhD scientists and engineers too, so it's a little aggravating that people so smart can be so... ignorant. Ugh. I bite my tongue most of the time, I'm even be careful about saying things like "oh my god". Sigh. Maybe in a few more months I'll be a little more comfortable, for now I'm just letting them get to know me for real before I admit I'm the antichrist and like to eat babies.

Until then I'll just be getting my atheist fix in here and at home when I can though, fingers crossed no one sees "ATHEIST" in big bold letters on my screen in the meantime.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
26-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I'm a fire brand when it comes to my wife (she's Jehovah's witness). I mean she's my wife. If her belief is strong and unshakeable she should be able to take it. The ridiculous deserve to be ridiculed. No sugar coating needed. Evil_monster

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes
26-02-2015, 08:10 PM
(26-02-2015 03:13 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  These guys are all PhD scientists and engineers too, so it's a little aggravating that people so smart can be so... ignorant. Ugh.

Not ignorant; delusional. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2015, 10:04 PM
(26-02-2015 03:13 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Oh how I long to be so bold... I just moved over to a new position within my work establishment and my new cube-neighbors/coworkers seem to be almost entirely fundamentalists (in the CA desert, the conservative half of the state).

I went to a conference in San Diego, and a met up with a friend who is from the CA desert. I was shocked when she told me a portion of CA was very conservative. I'd envisioned it all as liberal, although I guess I should have realized that since they elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor. My friend is an atheist, and so is her husband, so there are at least 2 others!
27-02-2015, 02:09 AM
(26-02-2015 10:04 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 03:13 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Oh how I long to be so bold... I just moved over to a new position within my work establishment and my new cube-neighbors/coworkers seem to be almost entirely fundamentalists (in the CA desert, the conservative half of the state).

I went to a conference in San Diego, and a met up with a friend who is from the CA desert. I was shocked when she told me a portion of CA was very conservative. I'd envisioned it all as liberal, although I guess I should have realized that since they elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor. My friend is an atheist, and so is her husband, so there are at least 2 others!

To be fair, Arnold's Republican disguise wouldn't have worked in any other state Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-02-2015, 09:42 AM

The Central San Joaquin Valley is all corporate farming, very conservative and religious. There are miles and miles of gigantic farms, all corporate owned and subsidized by the government. They survives on the backs of Mexican farm workers who live in horrid conditions and who are exposed to enormous pesticides. I lived in Fresno and Bakersfield for a while. It's like living in Texas or Oklahoma.

I knew a guy, a Mennonite, whose very religious family owned a huge farm and saw nothing wrong with the way the Mexicans were treated and welcomed every government subsidize they were offered.

My father, an atheist, was the principal of an elementary school near Bakersfield. One of the school kids, the child of a farm laborer, was hit and killed by a car (not related to the school bus taking the children home) and the family was so poor they couldn't afford a casket nor shoes to put on the dead child's feet to bury her in. My father created a fund to raise money for the burial. Not one penny was donated by any conservative corporate farmers. Not one goddamn dime.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Quite open about it but that doesn't spark any confrontations coz here nobody cares. If you want confrontations you need to go to forums to find religious nuts.
In everyday life at best you can get a raised eyebrow.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
27-02-2015, 08:00 PM
(27-02-2015 09:42 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

The Central San Joaquin Valley is all corporate farming, very conservative and religious. There are miles and miles of gigantic farms, all corporate owned and subsidized by the government. They survives on the backs of Mexican farm workers who live in horrid conditions and who are exposed to enormous pesticides. I lived in Fresno and Bakersfield for a while. It's like living in Texas or Oklahoma.

I knew a guy, a Mennonite, whose very religious family owned a huge farm and saw nothing wrong with the way the Mexicans were treated and welcomed every government subsidize they were offered.

My father, an atheist, was the principal of an elementary school near Bakersfield. One of the school kids, the child of a farm laborer, was hit and killed by a car (not related to the school bus taking the children home) and the family was so poor they couldn't afford a casket nor shoes to put on the dead child's feet to bury her in. My father created a fund to raise money for the burial. Not one penny was donated by any conservative corporate farmers. Not one goddamn dime.

That breaks my heart, and makes me want to fucking puke. Absolutely disgusting.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
27-02-2015, 11:05 PM
(27-02-2015 08:00 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(27-02-2015 09:42 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The Central San Joaquin Valley is all corporate farming, very conservative and religious. There are miles and miles of gigantic farms, all corporate owned and subsidized by the government. They survives on the backs of Mexican farm workers who live in horrid conditions and who are exposed to enormous pesticides. I lived in Fresno and Bakersfield for a while. It's like living in Texas or Oklahoma.

That breaks my heart, and makes me want to fucking puke. Absolutely disgusting.

I still remember my Dad going out to buy the shoes for the little girl and he guessed at the size. It was probably the nicest shoes she ever wore. It was horrible, just horrible.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-02-2015, 04:33 AM
I don't have anyone I think I could really discuss atheism with on a day to day basis. Some in my life are religious. Others are in the "well, Duh!" camp where holding a conversation about the subject seems meaningless. That's why I'm here!

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.