How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: How freely do you discuss atheism in daily life?
I'm lucky that I live in the NW. I don't bother mentioning I'm an Atheist unless I'm tired of listening to someone preach. I often disagree with coworkers that there's "ghosts in the building" or psychics are real. I have no problem breaking down their arguments. Otherwise, I don't give a crap.

As a nurse I do have trouble with family members when their loved one dies but I have become skilled at dodging prayers and placating them with the old, "They're in a better place". I honestly couldn't imagine living somewhere where it was all god all the time.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like aesirus's post
01-03-2015, 03:58 PM
(01-03-2015 03:24 PM)aesirus Wrote:  I'm lucky that I live in the NW. I don't bother mentioning I'm an Atheist unless I'm tired of listening to someone preach. I often disagree with coworkers that there's "ghosts in the building" or psychics are real. I have no problem breaking down their arguments. Otherwise, I don't give a crap.

As a nurse I do have trouble with family members when their loved one dies but I have become skilled at dodging prayers and placating them with the old, "They're in a better place". I honestly couldn't imagine living somewhere where it was all god all the time.
When somebody says "They're in a better place now" -- I usually put on a quizzical look, and say "Bermuda"? .... Sometimes it gets a laugh....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-03-2015, 04:44 PM
More than once here (Malaysia) I have been introduced as "This is DLJ. He doesn't believe in god!".

But personally, I don't usually reveal my hand so quickly.

If I'm confronted with a god-ish remark I'm quite quick to question the deliverer's line of reasoning but I prefer to focus the conversation on them not on me.

This is pretty easy because:
1) people like to talk about themselves
2) I play the 'please explain your <subtly disparaging adjective> belief system to the dumb foreigner' card.

Evil_monster

01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
(01-03-2015 03:24 PM)aesirus Wrote:  I'm lucky that I live in the NW. I don't bother mentioning I'm an Atheist unless I'm tired of listening to someone preach. I often disagree with coworkers that there's "ghosts in the building" or psychics are real. I have no problem breaking down their arguments. Otherwise, I don't give a crap.

Yes, the N. West has it's share of wacky woo-woos. People aren't so much church goers around here but they believe in psychics and ghosts in old downtown building basements and quite a few get into new age spiritualism, what ever the hell that is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
(01-03-2015 04:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  More than once here (Malaysia) I have been introduced as "This is DLJ. He doesn't believe in god!".

Evil_monster

Ha! An older lady who sat next to me at a meetup event once told me that she was once introduced in the following way "This is Linda. She's some kind of heathen, but she's nice"
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
In the real world I live in a pretty liberal community and since I am a 100% telecommute there is zero chance of running into anyone from work -- my only client is on the opposite side of the continent. As such if the topic happens to come up with flesh and blood people, I can freely discuss my unbelief. It will neither impact my work nor cause pearl-clutching panic on the part of local theists. The joke is that in my town, even the Baptists are liberal, although I've not actually tested that claim.

In practice it has only come up once in the 3 years I've lived here, and that was when I was specifically asked to tell my life story and beliefs at the local Unitarian Universalist "church" (where most members are agnostics or atheists anyway).

Online it's a different story. I'm "out" to most of my immediate family but my client (effectively my employer) is a company owned by a 75 year old Republican and where the CEO (my direct report) is a conservative Catholic who can't handle the slightest profanity. I like the $$ I make and the work I do so I don't want to change their opinion of me by being openly atheistic. Besides, it's none of their business nor is it relevant to my work.

For this reason I function under an alias here or anywhere I discuss personal beliefs. Indeed, even on FaceBook and such I'm pretty reserved. I'm too old (almost 58) to understand the TMI that is FaceBook anyway. Ironic, given than I am a software developer, have my own blog and even a Twitter account.
03-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't freely discuss much of anything that I consider personal. However, when asked if I am an Atheist I always answer the question.