How geek are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: How geek are you?
(15-08-2014 05:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 05:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  A guy at work referred to us (he and I) as geeks. I told him that I am not a geek. He quite firmly said - yes, you are.

Thought I hid it better. Sadcryface

How are you geeky, Anjele? Maybe you're just an Ancient Geek? Or you eat lots of geek salads.

I don't know - I am afraid to ask him. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Eh, I tend to think of myself more as dork because, while I know basics of geeky stuff, I don't really feel geek. I'm too dorky to be full-on geek. Here's stat stuff just in case...

Occupation: News TV station workin' the floor (George Takei: Oh my!) and driving on site to film

Degree:BA in Creative Writing

Hobbies: Video games (not the best at them but I loves them), basic crocheting, drawing, daydreaming, watching documentaries (more-so ones that involve lifestyle), driving around, napping, writing when I have an idea of what to write (fanfiction at the moment shame shame), and chilling out with good music. Oh and comics I guess but I haven't been reading them lately.Would love to get in on a tabletop roleplay game like D&D.

Other: Was a few hours shy of having a Japanese minor and a Psychology minor but classes kept conflicting with my major so I didn't take the last few hours I would have needed. Still kicking myself for not taking more Japanese now that I'm forgetting most of what I learned. At least if something surprising happens, I can shout, "honto?!" or "nani?!"
Also, I'm anti-social. Not that I don't like talking to people but it's not my forte and I usually prefer to keep to myself. Unless there's nerdy conversation. Then I'll throw in comments if I have anything to say or just listen. I like listening to people talking geeky things usually.
Also also, I may or may not love gifs too much.
[Image: Welcome_Message.gif]
[Image: l4d-2-o.gif]
[Image: fluffy-munchkin-kitten-gif-rqgqub0f.jpg]
I blame tumblr pff no I don't have a tumblr stop looking at me like that

Fashion sense: I have a few cute dresses but I mostly wear hats (not baseball caps! Hell no baseball caps!), jeans, and a t-shirt that is likely to have some graphic on it (likely to be a tf2 shirt I have like 5 of them). Working on getting piercings. Got 2 on each lobe and a cartilage. I want a third lobe and maybe a tragus and/or a nose piercing if my soon-as-I-find-it second job allows (my current job does).

[Image: notagain.gif]
15-08-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm a software engineer building railway control and business systems[1], and INCOSE-style systems engineer[2]. I build distributed software systems to control rail traffic, electrical distribution, environmental systems, tunnel ventilation, various safety systems, passenger information etc.

I co-wrote a book on REST software architecture and its integration with service-orientation a few years back for a major publisher[3]. It was ok, but not great.

The other week I built a data diode (a network component that transfers data in one direction without a physical return path, ie a very secure one-way firewall) out of optic fibre ethernet media converters[4].

I have been making systems engineering videos with my daughter, but she has gotten bored of them so none for a while now[5]. I'm currently putting together a systems modelling tool in my spare time.

Education:
* Started out in pure maths. Ended up with a bachelor of science with honours in computer science.

Hobbies:
* Science education
* Making/watching (mostly watching) youtube videos pertaining to hobby #1 and engineering
* Spending time with the children - helping Miss 8 with Khan Academy, jumping on the trampoline with Mr 5 and helping him with early literacy.
* Watching anime when I can't be bothered doing something productive
* Playing cheap steam games that I never seem to get around to finishing
* Linux, Java, Android
* Reviewing papers for a software architecture related conference now and then

Other:
* Married, two children.
* Beard. Unix beard[6].

[1] http://youtu.be/zL5eCuLOJ7Y
[2] http://www.incose.org/
[3] http://servicetechbooks.com/rest
[4] http://www.alliedtelesis.com.au/p-2236.html
[5] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiZx1ab4...hUwtaPFYwX
[6] http://www.usenix.org.uk/content/unix_beards.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
15-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Hmmmm... I...

Hmmmmmm....

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
15-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I almost exclusively date geeks, does that count? Blush

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
15-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Re: RE: How geek are you?
(15-08-2014 08:58 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I almost exclusively date geeks, does that count? Blush

Nope, unless you are dating me it doesn't count. I might have a day free next week? Wink

Meh, I haven't gone out for around 2 months, mostly cos I haven't been looking or making any basic effort to reach out though.

I am pretty much pure geek. I reckon I'll probably die alone cos I'm putting more effort into other things than into building healthy relationships. Then again maybe not. I'm fine when I decide to make an effort.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
15-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Education: High school, dropped out at 16.

Hobbies/interests: Music, beer, science, history.

Misc: Single, compulsive wanker.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2014, 09:24 PM
(15-08-2014 09:08 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:58 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I almost exclusively date geeks, does that count? Blush

Nope, unless you are dating me it doesn't count. I might have a day free next week? Wink
Unsure

Big Grin let's compare calendars

Quote:Meh, I haven't gone out for around 2 months, mostly cos I haven't been looking or making any basic effort to reach out though.

I date a lot, and recently had a break up. He was quite the perfect geek but he wanted marriage, and I'm not really thinking that institution is for me. lol

Deal breaker #23987909 for me Smartass

Quote:I am pretty much pure geek. I reckon I'll probably die alone cos I'm putting more effort into other things than into building healthy relationships. Then again maybe not. I'm fine when I decide to make an effort.

pure geek? hmmm.
aw, you won't die alone. but, no reason to force yourself into a relationship, if you're not interested. i'm a rather commitment phobic person myself, takes effort for me to let my guard down.

dear diary....Laugh out load

Be true to yourself. Heart
15-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Office assistant/dispatcher at a towing company. I am the resident computer guy.

Hobbies/Interests:

Computers, PC gaming, science, astronomy, reading, baseball.

Other:

I just bought a Doctor Who, Einstein and Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy shirt. That has to help my geek status a bit lol.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
15-08-2014, 09:38 PM

At the moment, housekeeper and stay at home hobbit.

Hobbies:

Fantasy reader, Gamer, Tolkienite, Ren fair lover. Lasertag player (I played with one of the Australian national lasertag teams)

Other:

Ive been to several sci-fi cons, seen weird al in concert twice, and too many other geeky things to name.