• 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: How geek are you?
This much Weeping

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2014, 02:16 AM
(15-08-2014 08:58 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I almost exclusively date geeks, does that count? Blush

Same here. Geeks by association?

(15-08-2014 08:11 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Education:
* Started out in pure maths. Ended up with a bachelor of science with honours in computer science.
Attachment about sums up me relationship with numbers.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes MrsFarrow's post
16-08-2014, 02:24 AM
I went to private art school, but never finished my degree (Bachelor of Science in Game Art & Design, Art Institute of Pittsburgh). My hobbies include video-games, D&D, and my motorcycle (I also do almost all my own work on it, in fact I just rebuilt the 4 synced carburetors a month ago). I also enjoy genre books, comic books, and movies (just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, it was amazeballs). I also enjoy studying history, the Mythbusters, knowing how things work, and watching documentaries.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
16-08-2014, 03:54 AM
Occupation Computer scientist / R&D Software engineer

Hobbies Paragliding, hill-walking, wild swimming, photography, gardening, learning new skills

Dress sense Practical, comfortable and casual.

My husband reckons I'm a geek but I don't. The true geeks were my fellow students during my computer science degree. Gadgets hold no interest for me and if I do buy one I expect it to last at least 10 years.
16-08-2014, 07:56 AM
(15-08-2014 08:11 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm a software engineer building railway control and business systems[1], and INCOSE-style systems engineer[2]. I build distributed software systems to control rail traffic, electrical distribution, environmental systems, tunnel ventilation, various safety systems, passenger information etc.

I co-wrote a book on REST software architecture and its integration with service-orientation a few years back for a major publisher[3]. It was ok, but not great.

The other week I built a data diode (a network component that transfers data in one direction without a physical return path, ie a very secure one-way firewall) out of optic fibre ethernet media converters[4].

I have been making systems engineering videos with my daughter, but she has gotten bored of them so none for a while now[5]. I'm currently putting together a systems modelling tool in my spare time.

Education:
* Started out in pure maths. Ended up with a bachelor of science with honours in computer science.

Hobbies:
* Science education
* Making/watching (mostly watching) youtube videos pertaining to hobby #1 and engineering
* Spending time with the children - helping Miss 8 with Khan Academy, jumping on the trampoline with Mr 5 and helping him with early literacy.
* Watching anime when I can't be bothered doing something productive
* Playing cheap steam games that I never seem to get around to finishing
* Linux, Java, Android
* Reviewing papers for a software architecture related conference now and then

Other:
* Married, two children.
* Beard. Unix beard[6].

[1] http://youtu.be/zL5eCuLOJ7Y
[2] http://www.incose.org/
[3] http://servicetechbooks.com/rest
[4] http://www.alliedtelesis.com.au/p-2236.html
[5] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiZx1ab4...hUwtaPFYwX
[6] http://www.usenix.org.uk/content/unix_beards.html

^^^
Complete guide to geekdom

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-08-2014, 07:57 AM
(15-08-2014 09:15 PM)Sam Wrote:  Occupation: Guitarist/Drinker

Education: High school, dropped out at 16.

Hobbies/interests: Music, beer, science, history.

Misc: Single, compulsive wanker.

Geek-fail!

16-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I just bought this.

[Image: camera_zps3c931c2c.jpg]

I don't know if it's geek or chic.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-08-2014, 06:45 PM
(16-08-2014 06:42 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I just bought this.

[Image: camera_zps3c931c2c.jpg]

I don't know if it's geek or chic.

Geekily chic or maybe chicly geeky?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Guy at work pegged me as a geek because I am a 'numbers person'. Kind of funny for a math failure - 'course I am a bookkeeper - I just can't math when letters are involved.

I am an electronic gadget nut and always have been. I get quite absorbed when learning things that interest me. I am (as my sister says) a fountain of useless knowledge and therefore pretty good at trivia.

However, I don't have the skills required for video games - I am a hopeless failure and don't even try any more.

I think I am more nerd than geek. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Occupation: Full time student, focusing on biological science, with a smattering of modern history.

Education: completing Yr. 12/13 this year, moving onto a BSc in Animal Behaviour next year.

Hobbies: vidja gamez, YouTube, TTA and reading take up most of my time.
I tend to drift off at random into internal scatter-brained science thinking...
... Does compulsively avoiding people count as a hobby?

Verdict?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.