How good are you at exercising this virtue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 04:09 PM
How good are you at exercising this virtue?
Okay, so one of the virtues that Christ taught that would be nice to have (which almost no Christian has) is the ability to forgive those who wrong you and to love them (your enemies).

See it is very toxic and can drive you mad if you have bitterness and hatred toward those who have deceived you, manipulated you, rejected you, abused you, took advantage of you, etc.

I know I'd be more healthy if I could forgive (no bitterness, no anger, or hostile feelings) those who have caused me pain. Have you been able to do this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Wicked Clown's post
27-07-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: How good are you at exercising this virtue?
Well, I was never religious, so I can't say I've brought this virtue from that end. But I try to look at things from others perspective. Many times, even when you feel you were wronged, you can look at the other person's situation and understand why they may have done what they did.

If they were just malicious with little reason behind it, well that is when I simply stop wasting my time thinking about them. Even if that is the case though I don't really harbor anger or bitterness. I don't see anything productive coming from harboring those feelings..so I just move on with my life and keep MY life positive because I want my life to be happy.

I have a bit more to say on this...but I'm flustered at the moment so maybe I will say more later.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-07-2014, 04:22 PM
(27-07-2014 04:09 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Okay, so one of the virtues that Christ taught that would be nice to have (which almost no Christian has) is the ability to forgive those who wrong you and to love them (your enemies).

See it is very toxic and can drive you mad if you have bitterness and hatred toward those who have deceived you, manipulated you, rejected you, abused you, took advantage of you, etc.

I know I'd be more healthy if I could forgive (no bitterness, no anger, or hostile feelings) those who have caused me pain. Have you been able to do this?

Who says that Christ is the only person who ever taught that? Who says that it is a necessary virtue to love people who hate you? Why do you think you should love people who are assholes to you?

What's wrong with "forgiving" and then moving on? Who says you need to turn around and love them? Why do you feel that is a necessary requirement?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
27-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Oh yeah, I wanted to add a lot of what Logisch said. I totally agree. There is no requirement to love one another, nor is it always beneficial or a logical course of action (IMO). If somebody proves to be a negative force in your life, there is no reason to insistently try to love them just because they are fellow humans.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
27-07-2014, 04:29 PM
(27-07-2014 04:09 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Okay, so one of the virtues that Christ taught that would be nice to have (which almost no Christian has) is the ability to forgive those who wrong you and to love them (your enemies).

It's usually a good idea to let shit go. But it's also a good idea to make sure you don't give people another chance to fuck you over.
Always forgive but never forget... If such a thing is possible.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
27-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
You won't get a second chance.
I harbor no ill will. But if you're off the list, your off the list. Works for me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-07-2014, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 06:03 PM by Wicked Clown.)
(27-07-2014 04:22 PM)Logisch Wrote:  

Who says that Christ is the only person who ever taught that? Who says that it is a necessary virtue to love people who hate you? Why do you think you should love people who are assholes to you?

What's wrong with "forgiving" and then moving on? Who says you need to turn around and love them? Why do you feel that is a necessary requirement?

Because a lot of the people who are angry, or violent, or jealous, are extremely unhappy and have been rejected or seriously abused. Some people are just completely disgusting selfish pricks who were born with a silver spoon up their ass, and them having no conscience has nothing to do with neglect or rejection.

But I have known many criminals in real life and studied many serial killers or notorious criminals, and many of them were in a shit load of pain. Looking back at their childhood of abuse and rejection and I have pity for them. They were tortured souls.

One of my roomates in Juvenile detention was there for raping a six year old girl and drowning her in the hungry horse river when he was fourteen years old.

The guy was the most pitiful reject I've ever seen. He never knew love. Not from his parents or anyone. He was uglier than sin with a face that I couldn't love were I his parent. He walked around with a defeated posture and looking like a hunchback, his face never showed any joy, he was cold and lifeless. His life is torment and hell and without joy.

Since he committed the crime at age 14, I have to wonder if he really had enough maturity to know what the fuck he was doing. When I was 14 I didn't have a conscience.
27-07-2014, 05:55 PM
ThunderCunt ready bitch.

#sigh
27-07-2014, 06:00 PM
(27-07-2014 05:30 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(27-07-2014 04:22 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Who says that Christ is the only person who ever taught that? Who says that it is a necessary virtue to love people who hate you? Why do you think you should love people who are assholes to you?

Because a lot of the people who are angry, or violent, or jealous, are extremely unhappy and have been rejected or seriously abused. Some people are just completely disgusting selfish pricks who were born with a silver spoon up their ass, and them having no conscience has nothing to do with neglect or rejection.

Who says you have to love someone to not be an angry, violent asshole. I'd hardly consider myself an angry or violent person, certainly not jealous. I don't put up with people's shit. I also don't dwell on it. Doesn't mean I have to love them. People who have caused me grief can fuck the hell off and go die in a ditch for all I care. I am under zero obligation to love them, accept them or give them any emotional response. Can I forgive? Yeah sure. Do I have to do anything in return? Nope. There's no obligation to do so.

They can fuck off and do their own thing for all I care. My being nice to them is certainly no requirement, but it also doesn't mean I have to interact with them at all. Note that I say there is also no obligation to interact with them.

The opposite of hate doesn't have to be love, it doesn't have to be anything. What if I told you that you can actually ignore people and go on with your life? It's not hard to do.

(27-07-2014 05:30 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  But I have known many criminals in real life and studied many serial killers or notorious criminals, and many of them were in a shit load of pain. Looking back at their childhood of abuse and rejection and I have pity for them. They were tortured souls.

How does that have anything to do with the average joe blow? The vast majority is not serial killers or notorious criminals. I see that you're saying it caused them suffering. However, choosing not to interact with someone is hardly being an asshole. If someone walks up and shoots you in the kneecap, are you required to say, "WHOA BRO it's ok man. You know what, I forgive you. Let's be friends. You know what, jesus told me to be virtuous and maybe you just need some love today. My bad, sorry you shot me in the knee."

(27-07-2014 05:30 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  One of my roomates in Juvenile detention was there for raping a six year old girl and drowning her in the hungry horse river when he was fourteen years old.

The guy was the most pitiful reject I've ever seen. He never knew love. Not from his parents or anyone. He was uglier than sin with a face that I couldn't love were I his parent. He walked around with a defeated posture and looking like a hunchback, his face never showed any joy, he was cold and lifeless. His life is torment and hell and without joy.

Since he committed the crime at age 14 I have to wonder if he really had enough maturity to know what the fuck he as doing. I know when I was 14 I didn't have a conscience.

He sounds like a sociopath/psychopath with mental problems and a serious mental disorder due to various reasons which sound like they've gone undiagnosed.

Again... I'll ask: Why is anyone under any obligation to specifically love OR hate anyone? There's nothing wrong with letting people fuck right off and giving them nothing. I don't need to show them happiness, acceptance or anything thereof. How they handle that is their problem, not mine.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-07-2014, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 06:11 PM by Wicked Clown.)
I guess if I have compassion for them, it makes it easier to not feel bitterness or ill will towards them.

That doesn't mean I have to interact with them or turn the other cheek, wrap my arms around them, or wipe their ass.

Nothing wrong with ignoring them, I guess, but if I could help them , I'd prefer that to ignoring them.