How hard can it be to kill an unarmed person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 09:44 AM by Zat.)
How hard can it be to kill an unarmed person?
This is a real life situation from WW2.

A small group of soldiers got trapped behind enemy lines. They were hiding away in an old farmhouse. An enemy soldier wandered in, unaware of their presence. They captured him, tied him to a chair and gagged him.

They planned to sneak back to their own side during nightfall, but they had a problem.

They had to move in absolute silence, so they could not risk dragging an unwilling prisoner with them.

They did not dare to leave him there either, just in case he would be found and then sent his buddies after them before they were back in safety.

They did not dare to shoot him because of the sound of the gunshot would be heard by the enemy.

They had only 2 options:

- cut his throat with a knife
- surrender to the enemy

Question: how many of you think that you would have been able to walk up to an unarmed man, your age, tied to a chair, totally helpless, and cut his throat with a knife while he was watching you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 09:43 AM
RE: How hard can it be to kill an unarmed person?
Um.... was the prisoner a Christian?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-02-2012, 10:40 AM
It all boils down to weight for me.

If I don't kill him me and my team mates will likely die.
If he had known we were hiding inside he would likely have tried to kill us.

That's enough for me. Life and death is always simpler from far away but when seen up close it becomes more complicated. You have to live with your choice. Not to mention at the time every choice is real and can have real consequences. So in the complexity that is real life simplicity can actually conquer. If you know what I mean.

I'd kill him. Would it be easy? No. Would I do it? Yes. Would I cut his throat? Not likely, if you've ever seen that happen its pretty fucked and I'd be more likely to do it another way.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
26-02-2012, 10:59 AM
(26-02-2012 10:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I'd kill him. Would it be easy? No. Would I do it? Yes. Would I cut his throat? Not likely, if you've ever seen that happen its pretty fucked and I'd be more likely to do it another way.

Like what? Bore him to death with your jokes?

Tongue

I'd have to agree. Zat, if you just asked, would I be able to kill a tied up unarmed man, then the answer is no. But in this war time scenario, soldier against soldier, to save the lives of my buddies? Most likely.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd probably just leave him tied up while we made our escape. How is the enemy finding this guy tied up worse than them finding a dead body? As long as we make sure he doesn't know which way we're going he wouldn't be able to help them find us.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
26-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Gutting someone is seriously less disturbing than slitting a throat. I kno it doesn't sound that way but slitting someone's throat i horrid.

If I were in a war I would kill the guy, because if he stayed alive he'd have a chance to kill me later. You can't talk morals in war time,. It's the time for survival instincts.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-02-2012, 07:53 PM
(26-02-2012 09:37 AM)Zat Wrote:  Question: how many of you think that you would have been able to walk up to an unarmed man, your age, tied to a chair, totally helpless, and cut his throat with a knife while he was watching you?

I couldn't do it. But I'd have no problem with dosing him to the point where he didn't know who or what he was for a couple of days while I made my getaway.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-02-2012, 08:12 PM
With respect I wouldnt be dumb enough to join the army......fuck that.

That doesnt answer your question though Zat.

Realisticaly looking at it if I was in a situation where I had to choose between anothers life and mine then the decision would tear me to pieces, because morally it goes against everything I believe in and everything I have lived for.

If I did end up doing it (with no other alternatives) then I imagine it would haunt me for many many years to come and I dont think I would ever find "peace"

You said it was based on a true story Zat........so what did they do in the end???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-02-2012, 09:41 PM
(26-02-2012 12:48 PM)Ben Wrote:  I'd probably just leave him tied up while we made our escape.

How is the enemy finding this guy tied up worse than them finding a dead body?

As long as we make sure he doesn't know which way we're going he wouldn't be able to help them find us.

interesting point. Would you still leave him tied up if there was a real possibility of him dying while tied to the chair(not from You or a team member)?

Out right I'd rather not be in the army in the first place, but for the sake of simplicity I'd say that I probably couldn't end the life of a human. I would find it too difficult. We don't usually 'only get 2 options' in life, but that's what I'd do.
26-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Knock him the fuck out, gag 'im an screw; what I calculate from my Monday morning armchair.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post