How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 03:50 PM
How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?
How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out in life? Whether it be from discovering the immorals of Christianity, the comfort of others, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MatureMcLeod95's post
13-05-2016, 05:36 PM
RE: How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?
Emmm, I... found a few regular good friends here?

I guess I got promoted by the forum Admiral to the rank of a Starfleet Captain, so I can do Captain's logs? And this:

Otherwise than that

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
13-05-2016, 06:07 PM
A day is made better when I get a death metal IM on skype, from a bad ass drummer mofo! Wink

But Even is only 1 of a great number of awesome folks I've met right here on TTA. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
13-05-2016, 06:22 PM
(13-05-2016 06:07 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  But Even is only 1 of a great number of awesome folks I've met right here on TTA. Big Grin

Motherfucka be doxxing me!

jk

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
13-05-2016, 06:30 PM
I like the podcast but it has astonished me how much debate there is on this issue.

I didn't know how much is involved with not believing for so many people.

I feel bad for people who have strained relationships with loved ones.

I feel lucky that no one seems to care what I believe and I think I'm also lucky that I don't care if they do care.

I like the discussions but sometimes I feel unnerved by them.

Take for instance Dawkins arguing about evolution. If someone tells me they don't believe in evolution I say that's such an outlandish position I'm not even going to entertain your ideas with any consideration. Like I'm also not going to discuss whether the moon is made of cheese.

Like with religious people a few times I had to say I appreciate you concerning yourself with my salvation but there's no hope at all. Like I don't want to be rude but everything you say to me makes me giggle. But these long complicated debates... they're interesting ...

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I don't even know much at all about these forums I'm so new. I wish I had stayed off that suicide thread. I'm so laissez faire in life I'm like if that's what you want to do...

I didn't want to come across ugly.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
13-05-2016, 06:39 PM
(13-05-2016 06:30 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I like the podcast but it has astonished me how much debate there is on this issue.

I didn't know how much is involved with not believing for so many people.

I feel bad for people who have strained relationships with loved ones.

I feel lucky that no one seems to care what I believe and I think I'm also lucky that I don't care if they do care.

I like the discussions but sometimes I feel unnerved by them.

Take for instance Dawkins arguing about evolution. If someone tells me they don't believe in evolution I say that's such an outlandish position I'm not even going to entertain your ideas with any consideration. Like I'm also not going to discuss whether the moon is made of cheese.

Like with religious people a few times I had to say I appreciate you concerning yourself with my salvation but there's no hope at all. Like I don't want to be rude but everything you say to me makes me giggle. But these long complicated debates... they're interesting ...

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I don't even know much at all about these forums I'm so new. I wish I had stayed off that suicide thread. I'm so laissez faire in life I'm like if that's what you want to do...

I didn't want to come across ugly.

If I missed an intro thread, created by you, my bad.

Welcome to TTA, new guy Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
17-05-2016, 09:19 AM
It's helped me with the fact that I have an out. I have someone to talk to that is going through the same situation I am. Granted, I'm not a huge poster, however what I have posted, folks have been there to make reason and talk to me. I live in the bible belt and there are VERY FEW atheists that I know or come in contact with. So it's nice to see a discussion amongst free thinkers and others that have went through the theist to atheist conversion that I have endured as well.
[+] 5 users Like NutraSteve's post
17-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I only just started listening about a month or so ago, and I'm working my way through the podcasts, oldest to newest. I'm up to September 26, 2012's episode.
I think the biggest thing is that it's helped me not be so quick to react from emotion, to think a bit and consider my responses. It's helped me articulate better in discussions and in remembering to keep humanity in my reactions.
17-05-2016, 01:08 PM
The podcast: Seth was the first public atheist voice that didn't annoy the crap out of me. I dislike being overly combative, rude, or inconsiderate. I dislike not trying to understand where other people are coming from. Seth accomplished approaching topics in a very diplomatic and compassionate way.

The community: This is the first community that...
1. Was still alive
2. Didn't take a piss on me for not agreeing with the community consensus.

So I stayed because the people seemed like good people.

I guess I didn't answer how it "helped me".

But those things are helpful. Finding a place to express myself safely is helpful. Finding a voice that thinks similar to how I do, like Seth, that I actually like listening to has been very helpful. Knowing that "I'm not alone."

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
17-05-2016, 02:21 PM
The podcast helped me gain confidence in my own ability to think for myself. It was one of the tools that I used to reassure myself that the problems that I saw in religion were actually there and other people saw them too, so I wasn't a terrible sinner or someone who was being led astray by the devil just because I wasn't happy with the answers that my church was giving me. It's also introduced me to a lot of other influential authors and speakers who have spurred me on to live my life in a more honest and thoughtful way.

The forum has been more of a concrete and practical help to me recently. The love and support that I've gotten from people here personally, as well as what I've seen them show to each other, is honestly a huge part of why I'm able to get through each day without falling apart. Even on topics that aren't necessarily atheism related, I feel that I have a place that I can be myself and not be afraid of being rejected.

Also, it's just a lot of fun to see what kinds of thoughts people have on really diverse topics. My walks to and from work are much more enjoyable now Smile
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post