How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 07:00 PM
RE: How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?
A couple of different ways. First, Seth is a very kind and enjoyable person. A real skeptics skeptic. And he's funny as all get out. I'm serious, he is a riot. He made it seem safe and logical to search out more things atheist and atheist sites online simply because of his encouragement. That's how I eventually found this place.

TTA is a good place for atheists to meet, share, support each other. It not just a fun place but a learning place as well. For some, like me, who live in a heavily religious area most of the non-religious conversations I have are here. Conversations that aren't laced with religious innuendo or godspeak. A safe place to shout fuck religion! If you want. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Most directly, it's benefitted me by featuring guests like Richard Carrier and Robert Price, whose deep understanding of the Bible and what hokum it is has been very informative.

But I look forward to every episode, every week.
25-05-2016, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 04:11 AM by ELK12695.)
(24-05-2016 07:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  A couple of different ways. First, Seth is a very kind and enjoyable person. A real skeptics skeptic. And he's funny as all get out. I'm serious, he is a riot. He made it seem safe and logical to search out more things atheist and atheist sites online simply because of his encouragement. That's how I eventually found this place.

Don't forget, he's got that soothing voice, regardless of what he's talking about.

Seriously, I used to listen to the podcasts when I was tired after school, and I fell asleep right away. It's real proper sleep therapy, although I lose the topic of the podcast.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
25-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Ha ha! Seth's voice first reminded me of Paul Harvey, and I've seen comments on YouTube saying the same. But after you've heard a few episodes, heard his humor, heard him drop an F-bomb or two, the comparison to Harvey goes out the window. Then there's also his appearance and relative youth as compared to Harvey, too.

I like what he's doing, and it's been going strong for several years now. At one point, it was the most popular podcast running.
25-05-2016, 08:19 PM
I discovered TTA when I was that cringy edgy atheist kid who shat christipher hitchens quotes out of my mouth.

As for the forum, I might have killed myself already without the support.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
25-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I lurked for a couple years before officially joining. I was too nervous to join, constantly worried my parents would find out.

In my lurking days, I learned an awful lot from goodwithoutgod's resources. I discovered talkorigins.org, and the podcast itself was nice to listen to.

I finally decided to join, mostly to vent, and to be a part of a community I'll likely never partake in IRL.

The members here have been wonderous. Especially for my anxiety. It's nice to be able to vent about that...I can go on.

Thank you TTA for so so much!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
25-05-2016, 09:15 PM
(25-05-2016 08:03 PM)GeddyRulz Wrote:  Ha ha! Seth's voice first reminded me of Paul Harvey, and I've seen comments on YouTube saying the same. But after you've heard a few episodes, heard his humor, heard him drop an F-bomb or two, the comparison to Harvey goes out the window. Then there's also his appearance and relative youth as compared to Harvey, too.

I like what he's doing, and it's been going strong for several years now. At one point, it was the most popular podcast running.

Huh Seth sounds nothing like Paul Harvey. Paul Harvey had a voice that could set a hacksaw's teeth on edge.
25-05-2016, 10:36 PM
It's an interesting place populated with interesting people. Living out in the country, a social life is hard to come by.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Along the same lines of Thump above, it has opened up my thinking horizons. One thing I cannot say enough is how much I value those members from across the world who bring in their thoughts, culture, and perspective on things. So many online communities are very US-centric. Not this one.
I've learned more things about religion than I figured possible, considering that all of it has been nothing but woo to me my whole life.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
26-05-2016, 07:22 AM
(13-05-2016 03:50 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out in life? Whether it be from discovering the immorals of Christianity, the comfort of others, etc.

The brand led me here, the here led me to the people, and the people have pretty much kept me going in the years since I joined.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post