How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: How has The Thinking Atheist helped you out?
(25-05-2016 08:19 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I discovered TTA when I was that cringy edgy atheist kid who shat christipher hitchens quotes out of my mouth.

As for the forum, I might have killed myself already without the support.

[Image: DOQBm18.gif]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ELK12695's post
27-05-2016, 08:52 AM
The people here have helped to save what sanity I have left, and I will never be able to thank them enough.

Hug

Thanks everybody.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
27-03-2017, 07:25 PM
I bounce back and forth to this place. I obviously don't (usually) talk a lot.

But if you listen to most popular secular/atheist "voices" out there, well... Seth is relaxing. Atheism With Seth, if it were a TV show, would be stuffed chairs, warm drinks and Bob Ross with an occasional well deserved facepalm at what someone did. There's a point where so many of the other channels and such seem just full of "How can these people be THAT STUPID to do that?" - too cynical and, at times, angry.

Seth does that at times, but most of the time it's just "Have a chuckle" feeling by comparison.

Plus, hey, interesting subjects and guests don't hurt.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 2 users Like Ricochet180's post
27-03-2017, 08:42 PM
I richer, thinner, smarter, better looking, and hung like an ox.

Of course that could be the alcohol.

But hey - if you BELIEVE it's the forum responsible, it must be right, right??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-03-2017, 09:47 PM
I would say that for the most part, I've found the posts on TTA to be very educational. Via TTA, I definitely gained a better understanding about what various labels meant, such as ignosticism, apatheism, anti-theism, and etc. I've also learned a lot about theistic worldviews and have found the regular theist members here, such as Shai Hulud and Aliza, to be knowledgeable, intelligent, friendly, and willing to learn.

With that said, I'd say that for the most part, I've observed that TTA is a good environment to acknowledge peoples' differences and engage them with an open mind while finding some common ground that promotes mutual learning, understanding, and peaceful coexistence. IMO, this sends the message that difference and diversity needn't be feared: IMO, if reframed constructively and creatively, difference and diversity can provide excellent opportunities for people to grow beyond themselves and blossom into something quite wonderful.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 6 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
28-03-2017, 03:20 AM
TTA has helped me on a personal level.

I used to be a member of another forum, nothing to do with atheism, which I later found out had a secret "page" for paid members, who would slag off everybody else. I also found I was one of those being talked about, and it wasn't very nice. As I've recently, in the past few years, been dealing with anxiety/depression, I felt this probably needed to be cut out of my life before I start thinking about it too much.

I searched around for a little bit, and thought "what else would I like to discuss with others" and thought about my personal mind set and atheism. This lead me here, and I've enjoyed talking to everybody here, as pretty much everybody is nice, respectful and also just want to talk in a grown up manner, which is very comforting. Plus I get to talk to theists/recent convertees and hopefully help in some manner as well, which is very cool.

So not so much religious stuff than personal on my end, but TTA has helped me a whole lot so far Smile

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 7 users Like OakTree500's post
28-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I found the podcast a while into my conversion. It always entertained me but never fit me well since I am not coming from christianity.
But then I found this forum and this is a place where I just feel I can talk about religious and other brainy and free-thinky things (yea i invent words now).
It is good to have a place where you don't have to make sure you are politically correct and where you don't have to tip toe around but still have people around who are like-minded and can debate in a healthy way (at least most of the time).

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
29-03-2017, 12:50 AM
I enjoy good discussions and debates, not to mention having something to stimulate my thinking and writing abilities in my old age. The Amazon Forums were getting tedious due to the bad management of the moderators who, towards the end, were obviously prejudiced against atheists. The Thinking Atheist proved to be a much better and honest environment for satisfying my needs. Smile
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-03-2017, 07:38 AM
When I was first coming out of religion, it was a scary time because I was a believer for so many years and was taught to believe in God via faith alone and not to question. The first debate I watched was between Kirk Cameron, Ray Comfort and two atheists. The atheists pretty much mopped the floor with Kirk and Ray, as you can imagine Tongue

Next I watched the Dawkins/Pell debate and Dawkins no nonsense approach really shook me out of believer mode with several of his comments. Pell really had no leg to stand on and could not make a successful argument, imo, about religion or existence or need for God in the natural world.

Meanwhile, I was reading The Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells, which further helped me poke holes in a variety of religious claims.

But despite all of this, because of years of brainwashing about hell, that fear still lingered a bit despite my knowing it was all bullshit. Then I saw a talk by Seth where he mentioned it took him about three years or so to fully get rid of the what ifs re: hell during his transitioning to rational thought. It helped to know I was not alone with these ridiculous lingering hell fears.

Later I found this video, and it helped me learn to laugh at my old religion, the absurdity of it and that helped me further kick any ideas of hell and that brainwashing out the door. Through humor, I truly saw the absurdity in my old beliefs. Thank you Seth Heart And of course, I then immediately came to TTA to connect with other like-minded folks which is a nice escape from religious bs.

[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
29-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Here, I can vent. Here, I can view and comment on other POVs. Here, I can express myself.

IRL I have no one to vent to, not even my therapist. IRL I am limited to a mostly Christian crowd, and would be ostracized should I comment on how that effects me as the filthy heathen I am. IRL I must stay silent, smile and nod, or even lie about my lack of beliefs.

This forum has given me a place to escape and feel normal.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post