How has deconversion changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2016, 10:01 AM
How has deconversion changed you?
I have a question for atheists who deconverted from Christianity. How has this change in your religious belief changed you as a person overall, both good and bad? (if at all)

Has it in any way changed your moral standards? (do you cheat more or less, curse more or less, lie more or less, steal more or less etc.?)

Has it changed your personality? (Are you angrier, happier, kinder, more apathetic, lazier, more courageous, more tolerant etc.?)

Has it changed your outlook on life and how you view the world around you?

MG

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2016, 10:06 AM
RE: How has deconversion changed you?
It hasn't changed my moral standards. I still volunteer, help others, still vegan, still love my family, still don't worship Satan Hobo

I don't think it's really changed my personality either--I'm pretty much the same person. I just feel free though, something I never felt as a believer.

Definitely changed my outlook on life. I used to see God's hand in everything. Now I live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-02-2016, 10:25 AM
I've never was much into religion so becoming atheist didn't change much in my life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-02-2016, 10:27 AM
It's been all hookers and blow since I became sane. Tongue

Seriously, my life has changed extremely little, and my morality is still intact. I don't go to church, except for marrying and burying, and that's only because that is where the ceremonies are held. I'll be sure to communicate my wishes for what happens after I die. A celebration of my life sans religion would be fine.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
19-02-2016, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016 10:41 AM by cactus.)
Distancing myself from religion has allowed me to see more grey in a world that was previously black and white.
The church had conditioned me to see alternate viewpoints as a kind of infectious disease that could spread to you if you got too close.
Now I try to understand different people's viewpoints as much as possible, even if I'm poking fun at those viewpoints at the same time Laugh out load
Hard line dogmatic stances hold little value to me anymore. I try not to get too emotionally invested in my own subjective opinions.

Also, Satan is like totally my BFF Jill now. Heart

Also Also, Christianity had this really bizarre penchant for restricting which combinations of consonants of vowels I was allowed to use, so to that I say.... Fuck Shit Dick Tits Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm more open minded towards a lot of situations and people. Its improved my morals actually. Now I give people who are different according to religion more attention and help them in society if I can. I see more and more injustices and I get more upset about it.

However I feel so free and myself. I don't have the thought and fear I was did. I live life and enjoy it. Of course now on Sundays is for me and my hubby
19-02-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm more ethical as an atheist, since I can't do something wrong and then receive forgiveness for it. However, there are also things I do that Christians regard as sins and I don't (fornication back in the day, taking the lord's name in vain, etc.), so to Christians I might be less moral. I don't give a shit: I keep my word, don't lie, obey the law, pay taxes, do my share as a citizen, and care for my family. Those are enough for me.

However, unfortunately religion had the first twenty or so years of my life to deform my personality and encourage me to regard myself as repulsive and bad and dirty and stupid. Fighting these negative effects will be a lifelong activity, I expect.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
19-02-2016, 11:32 AM
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I have a question for atheists who deconverted from Christianity. How has this change in your religious belief changed you as a person overall, both good and bad? (if at all)

Has it in any way changed your moral standards? (do you cheat more or less, curse more or less, lie more or less, steal more or less etc.?)

Has it changed your personality? (Are you angrier, happier, kinder, more apathetic, lazier, more courageous, more tolerant etc.?)

MG

Well, seeing as I hate jesus, I am now a completely lost soul in the ocean of eternity centered around an enormous black hole in my heart that I lost when I expelled the holy spirit. I usually wake up now each day (when I can manage to sleep) from my restless, worried slumber where I search the deepest parts of my soul for my purpose since I have none now. I now realize that Hitler was a Darwinist after all and that I just can't help myself when Richard Dawkins tweets my gospel verse each day. I spend my days moping around with a sense of utter loss and helplessness. I see all of the people who need help but I just can't seem to do it since I don't believe in Jesus. Just can't do it...... Just can't seem to beat the darkness that follows me. At night, I shiver in the darkness of the universe since even though I know that god is real and Jesus is lord, I must continue to deny it because if I go back, I will then not be held accountable for the crummy things I do and all of the puppies I kick. I just can't seem to get my morality straight. All I see is loss and helplessness........ Weeping

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
19-02-2016, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016 12:47 PM by Escape Artist.)
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I have a question for atheists who deconverted from Christianity. How has this change in your religious belief changed you as a person overall, both good and bad? (if at all)

MG

1. My conscience is still just as over-active as it has always been. I think that's just me and doesn't have anything to do with my former religious affiliations.

2. I deconverted right around the time that my marriage was falling apart so it is hard to say which of these are responsible for certain changes I perceive in my behavior. (I will list things that specifically pertain to religion)

I find myself angry with my parents or anyone who participated in or facilitated my indoctrination. I find myself angry and ashamed that it seems there are none in my family who ever questioned this stuff - I find myself thinking they are either stupid or cowards, and this in some ways surprises me and in some ways not. I would say the same of myself - when I was religious, I was stupid and/or a coward and didn't question for a long time. But I hear that most people who come out of religion and into atheism are more understanding of religious people who are still tucked well within the fold. I just don't tend to cut myself slack in this area and so I think that extends to my thoughts about people who are still religious, i.e. although I did work my way out, I think I should have done it sooner, but didn't because stupid, coward, etc.

I don't feel guilty so much anymore. There aren't any sins to commit these days and so that's nice to not have to worry about. But I always think I can do better and I'm not perfect, so there is always some feeling of guilt hovering in the background that I'm not being good enough, etc.

I am happier, and I think everyone would be happier w/o religion and perhaps that is also a source of anger for me toward religious people. I think they should ditch it. Even folks who are just Christmas and Easter Christians - I think they should get rid of it completely. They would be happier without it, imo, and also with Christians like that - all it takes is a tragedy in their lives and then they're die-hard about it and long to spread their religious virus to anyone who will listen.

3. I used to believe that there was a god who was looking out for me and making sure that everything would be okay. I now realize that really, in the end, all we have is ourselves.

I've become a right cynical bastard. Laugh out load Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
19-02-2016, 02:14 PM
1. No change in my moral standards: the fact that my religion did not meet my moral standards is what caused me to ditch it in the first place. Facepalm

2. I am more secretive about my beliefs than I once was, simply because I know that if my 93-year-old mother ever found out about my de conversion, it would cause her great pain, and I don't want that, so I keep my beliefs to myself. I am humbled to think that it took me so long to figure this out, and grateful to those who have helped me do so. I am slightly more cynical, perhaps, but happier overall, although I do recoil now when I see someone on FB asking for prayers .Dodgy

3. I find that the finite nature of life is what gives it meaning. I appreciate life much more now that I realize how fragile it is. I am even more appalled than I used to be at the immorality of those who callously send young men and women to war for profit or ideology, which I think might well be impossible without a belief in an afterlife. I feel the loss of such lives more keenly than before.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post