How has deconversion changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2016, 02:38 PM
RE: How has deconversion changed you?
I never had to go through the step of de-converting 'cause I never converted in the first place. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2016, 06:44 AM
I was able to embrace science without stigmatizing it.

I no longer feel guilty or that I'm being watched constantly by an omnipotent peeping Tom.

My political views have changed, I'm still finding the balance between my former Christian conservative viewpoints and current viewpoints that reject Christian presumptions.

I've had to face the reality of the limitations of my mortality, there is no happy place you go to after your brain shuts down and there is no higher power that determines where you go after death.

My entire Christian life was predicated on not facing the truth about our mortality, but it takes away from your humanity to some extent to believe that you'll not be subject to death.

Knowing that every last one of us will face death with no afterlife gives an underlining compassion to everyone, there is no "us vs. them" mentality anymore in that regard.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
20-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Well I'm less gullible now, I consider now a skeptic. As for anything else I curse the same amount as before of deconversion, but now I don't feel guilty about it. About lies is the same amount but I still feel kind of guilty when lying. Not having to worry about any deity makes me feel relieved.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
20-02-2016, 08:08 AM
This is a tough question, because I finally left god belief when I was around 20 and so it's hard to tell which shifts are due to that and which are due to I'm just older and learning more. So I'll cast my mind back and look just at the time around my admission of non-belief.

I think the only thing that has really changed is that I am more of an integrated person. I don't have to hold these two different histories and realities in my head. I don't have to partition my self into little boxes, god says this about morality, god says this about knowledge, god says this about your role as a person. I'm free to allow my self to not be a set of little boxes, but to be a cohesive unit.

I'm not quite sure what it is I'm trying to convey. Perhaps that the foundation of my own sense of self has shifted. My views haven't changed. I just took out the extra "god" baggage. I thought I was reasoning because god. I am reasoning because that is the type of animal I am.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
20-02-2016, 10:56 AM
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I have a question for atheists who deconverted from Christianity. How has this change in your religious belief changed you as a person overall, both good and bad? (if at all)

Has it in any way changed your moral standards? (do you cheat more or less, curse more or less, lie more or less, steal more or less etc.?)

Has it changed your personality? (Are you angrier, happier, kinder, more apathetic, lazier, more courageous, more tolerant etc.?)

Has it changed your outlook on life and how you view the world around you?

MG

Deconversion is only the first step. One must replace it with something rational. I can honestly say that abandoning belief in gods and adopting a rational philosophy has completely transformed my life in the positive. I now have a completely rational, integrated metaphysics, epistemology and ethics. I not only know what is right and what is wrong but exactly why what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. It has been the single greatest thing that has happened in my life. I'm happy, at peace and loving life.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
20-02-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm more skeptical about things now. But how I treat others, and hope to be treated hasn't changed. My weekend is more open.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
21-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I am the OP, and personally I have had quite a few changes. Guilt and fear used to control my day. I, admittedly, used to have many worries about how each and every thought and action would effect the treatment I received from God. Results, whether positive or negative, were rarely ever a natural consequence of what occurred, but rather a divine response to my actions or thoughts. Pathetic! Talk about mind control!

Needless to say, I am so much freer to do and think and feel how I desire! It is so liberating.

Shortly after deconverting I created these little tests for myself. For example, if I lost my wallet, I didn't try to figure out what I must have done wrong for God to put me through this trial. Nor, did I beg God to help me to find it. Instead, I simply accepted it as a consequence of my absent-mindedness, looked for it in logical places, and, eventually, I found it, naturally, where I had left it. Duh! Confused

Now, for me, everything is obviously a consequence of the natural life forces that surround me. There is always a rational explanation to an occurrence.

I don't know if any of you can relate to this.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
21-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Not to much changed. I think, I became more curious and interested in finding out how things work. For example, I remember when I was a kid, I didn't know why ice takes up more volume than water. I asked my pastor, he said god made it that way. My grade 7 science teacher explained it and it was so simple, yet so much more interesting. I think, I see things a bit clearer than when I was religious. I read and research a lot more. Babies became a lot tastier as well.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
22-02-2016, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 12:44 AM by Nurse.)
No more guilt and shame about sex and "thought crimes."

I'm more adventurous. This is it. This moment now. I'm never going to get it back. This life is all I have. I don't have eternity to explore the world's nooks and crannies. So if a friend invites me to visit his home in a rainforest on an island, I'm going!

I'm probably never going to have cable television again. I don't watch movies very often. I'd rather spend my free time making art or having awesome sex or exploring area waterfalls and abandoned buildings and taking cool pictures. I got a French press (yes, everyone, I conceded that Girlyman and BuckyBall and Stark were right in that I shouldn't be using a Keurig) and use gourmet coffees because life is too short to drink crappy coffee. Same with tea - I use loose leaf now and get it from a hipster tea shop in East Nashville.

I'm actually a lot less interested in having a nice house. I want experiences. I just want a place that's large enough for me and my son (but with two bathrooms - no one wants to share a bathroom when you both have the stomach virus).

I'm listening to non-mainstream music again, appreciating the art that isn't played on the radio.

I cherish moments like these from last Sunday, where we had fun instead of wasting time at church:
[Image: 0A35EC44-FA6B-412A-B093-4A0531FA55F0_zpsm6reifvh.jpg]
[Image: C0F2E3EB-A1BA-47DD-BA1D-D3AFB14BF86E_zpszhhw8mk2.jpg]

Basically, I'm living life to the fullest at the best of my capacity. I'm engaging my curiosity of the world around me, and teaching my son to do the same.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
22-02-2016, 09:35 AM
(22-02-2016 12:40 AM)Nurse Wrote:  No more guilt and shame about sex and "thought crimes."

I'm more adventurous. This is it. This moment now. I'm never going to get it back. This life is all I have. I don't have eternity to explore the world's nooks and crannies. So if a friend invites me to visit his home in a rainforest on an island, I'm going!

I'm probably never going to have cable television again. I don't watch movies very often. I'd rather spend my free time making art or having awesome sex or exploring area waterfalls and abandoned buildings and taking cool pictures. I got a French press (yes, everyone, I conceded that Girlyman and BuckyBall and Stark were right in that I shouldn't be using a Keurig) and use gourmet coffees because life is too short to drink crappy coffee. Same with tea - I use loose leaf now and get it from a hipster tea shop in East Nashville.

I'm actually a lot less interested in having a nice house. I want experiences. I just want a place that's large enough for me and my son (but with two bathrooms - no one wants to share a bathroom when you both have the stomach virus).

I'm listening to non-mainstream music again, appreciating the art that isn't played on the radio.

I cherish moments like these from last Sunday, where we had fun instead of wasting time at church:
[Image: 0A35EC44-FA6B-412A-B093-4A0531FA55F0_zpsm6reifvh.jpg]
[Image: C0F2E3EB-A1BA-47DD-BA1D-D3AFB14BF86E_zpszhhw8mk2.jpg]

Basically, I'm living life to the fullest at the best of my capacity. I'm engaging my curiosity of the world around me, and teaching my son to do the same.

Wow, what a great attitude! You look young enough to take advantage of a full life ahead of you for you and your son. I'm very happy for you! Big Grin

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper