How has deconversion changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 10:23 AM
RE: How has deconversion changed you?
Well glory be to God!! Even though you've all rejected him. From what I've read on these posts, He continues to dwell in your heart, refusing to abandon you and is keeping the devil at bay. The Holy Spirit will not allow the devil to get a foothold into your soul (except for poor Organic Chemist). PRAISE JESUS!!

Sadcryface2

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 12:06 PM
(22-02-2016 10:23 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Well glory be to God!! Even though you've all rejected him. From what I've read on these posts, He continues to dwell in your heart, refusing to abandon you and is keeping the devil at bay. The Holy Spirit will not allow the devil to get a foothold into your soul (except for poor Organic Chemist). PRAISE JESUS!!

Sadcryface2

Confused Sadcryface Sadcryface2 Weeping

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-02-2016, 12:09 PM
(22-02-2016 12:40 AM)Nurse Wrote:  No more guilt and shame about sex and "thought crimes."

I'm more adventurous. This is it. This moment now. I'm never going to get it back. This life is all I have. I don't have eternity to explore the world's nooks and crannies. So if a friend invites me to visit his home in a rainforest on an island, I'm going!

I'm probably never going to have cable television again. I don't watch movies very often. I'd rather spend my free time making art or having awesome sex or exploring area waterfalls and abandoned buildings and taking cool pictures. I got a French press (yes, everyone, I conceded that Girlyman and BuckyBall and Stark were right in that I shouldn't be using a Keurig) and use gourmet coffees because life is too short to drink crappy coffee. Same with tea - I use loose leaf now and get it from a hipster tea shop in East Nashville.

I'm actually a lot less interested in having a nice house. I want experiences. I just want a place that's large enough for me and my son (but with two bathrooms - no one wants to share a bathroom when you both have the stomach virus).

I'm listening to non-mainstream music again, appreciating the art that isn't played on the radio.

I cherish moments like these from last Sunday, where we had fun instead of wasting time at church:
[Image: 0A35EC44-FA6B-412A-B093-4A0531FA55F0_zpsm6reifvh.jpg]
[Image: C0F2E3EB-A1BA-47DD-BA1D-D3AFB14BF86E_zpszhhw8mk2.jpg]

Basically, I'm living life to the fullest at the best of my capacity. I'm engaging my curiosity of the world around me, and teaching my son to do the same.

I can't like this post enough. Thumbsup

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-02-2016, 01:12 PM
It made me cranky.Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-02-2016, 02:44 PM
(22-02-2016 01:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It made me cranky.Drinking Beverage

Nah, it just let the cranky out. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Well, I no longer waste time trying to solve mysteries that don't exist. That's a plus.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-02-2016, 02:57 PM
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I have a question for atheists who deconverted from Christianity. How has this change in your religious belief changed you as a person overall, both good and bad? (if at all)

Has it in any way changed your moral standards? (do you cheat more or less, curse more or less, lie more or less, steal more or less etc.?)

Has it changed your personality? (Are you angrier, happier, kinder, more apathetic, lazier, more courageous, more tolerant etc.?)

Has it changed your outlook on life and how you view the world around you?

MG

The way I live my day-to-day life hasn't really changed. I do some things differently such as appreciate my time on earth slightly more, tell my wife and kids I love them more, enjoy my time with family more, etc. I am a sponge for science and I have also been much more politically active now.

The real change has been in my approach to decision making. No longer do I gloss over details that need to be parsed out. I take a more systematic approach and consider bodies of evidence rather than my intuition or anecdotal stories. I read and re-read items of importance much more carefully and consider how they affect me and how it fits in with the world around us as we know it. Smile

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
22-02-2016, 03:15 PM
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Has it in any way changed your moral standards? (do you cheat more or less, curse more or less, lie more or less, steal more or less etc.?)
Not at all. However it has shifted my motivations. To the extent that I was good because I was commanded to be, or because I feared punishment if I wasn't, those motivations no longer exist. However I still believe the same things are right, and my beliefs about the rightness of empathy, civility, compassion and the like are stronger than ever. Because if this is the only life I have, and no invisible all powerful being is going to fix human suffering, then it increases my responsibility to do so and motivates me to remind society of its responsibility to do so.
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Has it changed your personality? (Are you angrier, happier, kinder, more apathetic, lazier, more courageous, more tolerant etc.?)
I don't see happiness as a personality trait but as the perceived mismatch between what I expect and what I get from life. I now expect a lot less (I'm not in god's back pocket, the universe doesn't owe me anything) and so I am, if not precisely more happy, much more content, simply by virtue of far more realistic expectations and a theory of reality that is much better at describing reality and predicting what to expect from it -- which reduces surprises and disappointments considerably.

Beyond that, no, my personality is the same as it ever was.

The better question might be whether unbelief tends to make a person more self aware and attuned to reality -- I would argue that it does.
(19-02-2016 10:01 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Has it changed your outlook on life and how you view the world around you?
I guess I answered that question above. I am far more realistic, far more humble, and far less attached to outcomes. I consider evangelical Christianity to be largely an inflation. I am a nicer person now that I don't think I'm god's special snowflake.