How has this election affected your relationships?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2016, 09:18 AM
How has this election affected your relationships?
When it comes to family and friends I’m having to compartmentalize their support for Trump and hide it in under the bed in a locked trunk so I can still look them in the eyes and talk about anything else and continue our relationship.

I have distanced myself from acquaintances on social media and real life, people for whom I had left the door open for closer ties including neighbors with Trump/Pence signs. Now I’m no longer interested in forming a closer bond in any way. I find myself taking mindful notes of who these folks are for future reference.

With respect to the article below I have to say that this isn’t only happening to daughters but to sons as well, me for instance. My Catholic parents are covering their eyes to everything but the fact that Clinton is pro-choice, nothing else matters. This is so weird because my dad has always taught me to be respectful to women. I just don’t understand how he can be blind to this, especially when he has granddaughters. Confused

Our closest friends, a couple, are rabid Trump supporters. We (my wife and I) have already been having discussions on how we need to actively look for other people who think more like us. This won’t end our relationship with them but it shows us that our relationship has very defined limitations and there is a chasm between us in how we see the world.

How has it affected you? How are you dealing with it?

The article.
When You’re #WithHer, But Your Dad Is a Trump Supporter
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/when-you...are-thecut

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-10-2016, 10:31 AM
RE: How has this election affected your relationships?
My entire family is gone, but there would be conflicts if they were still around. Neither of my brothers was very political, but both of my parents were hardcore Republicans. There was always a lot of tension around election time. I can't believe that either of my parents would be enthusiastic about Trump, but they probably would have voted for him, because they hated Hillary Clinton with a passion -- the exact opposite of my feelings (I'm not enthusiastic about Clinton, but will vote for her to keep Trump out of office).

I have friends who are Republicans, but we remain friends by not discussing politics. I don't even know how they feel about Trump.
31-10-2016, 01:13 PM
(31-10-2016 10:31 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  My entire family is gone, but there would be conflicts if they were still around. Neither of my brothers was very political, but both of my parents were hardcore Republicans. There was always a lot of tension around election time. I can't believe that either of my parents would be enthusiastic about Trump, but they probably would have voted for him, because they hated Hillary Clinton with a passion -- the exact opposite of my feelings (I'm not enthusiastic about Clinton, but will vote for her to keep Trump out of office).

I have friends who are Republicans, but we remain friends by not discussing politics. I don't even know how they feel about Trump.

Not discussing politics is the only reason we are still talking to one another.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-10-2016, 02:24 PM
I've got an entirely different Facebook List for most of my political posts due to a few friends and relatives who will freak out and cause drama if I say a single unkind word about Herr Trump. Been told multiple times that I'm going to Hell for being a registered Democrat, let alone if I vote for "Evil Hillary"/"that witch who slaughters babies".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2016, 03:17 PM
(31-10-2016 02:24 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I've got an entirely different Facebook List for most of my political posts due to a few friends and relatives who will freak out and cause drama if I say a single unkind word about Herr Trump. Been told multiple times that I'm going to Hell for being a registered Democrat, let alone if I vote for "Evil Hillary"/"that witch who slaughters babies".

And yet you identify with the religion that is part of what makes them that way. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2016, 05:08 PM
I've had several family members block me because I showed that most of what they posted were not true and provided proof. And poof I was blocked . hmmmm
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
31-10-2016, 06:27 PM
(31-10-2016 05:08 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I've had several family members block me because I showed that most of what they posted were not true and provided proof. And poof I was blocked . hmmmm

Life just got better for you, less drama that way.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
31-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I dislike some of my family even more than I did before.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
31-10-2016, 06:53 PM
There are a few people on FB that I don't hear from anymore. They may have blocked or unfriended me.
Not sure if it's politics or religion though.
31-10-2016, 07:25 PM
People in my life are too stupid to have a decent conversation about the election with.
Though not to stupid that they support Trump. Even New Zealand's idiots can see what a cuntturd Trump is and yet the American idiots grovel at his feet at the hope that they get even a chance to suck on his tiny orange dick.

So it hasn't effected my relationship with anyone.
It has however opened my eyes to how passionate my boss (who's American) is about hating Trump though. Tongue
Watching the news one lunch break, he comes in and starts watching for about 5 minutes before he basically flips a table and storms out in a loud ensemble of curse words and insults directed towards the turd.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post