How has this forum changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 11:23 AM
How has this forum changed you?
Got to thinking about how my attitude towards things have changed since I became part of this forum, and how my discussions here have been a part of that. I always try to be "open minded" but it is an admittedly difficult thing for me. It takes an effort to open up to different opinions. However, I also take great pride in changing my opinion, since it shows i put genuine thought into others input.

The big one for me is my attitude towards religious people. Though I still, for the most part, feel the same about religion, the way I see individuals who are religious has softened greatly. I credit KC for a lot of that. Ghost is a close second.

I tend to take a pretty hard line on things (see the "fat people" thread), and sometimes that skews my thinking, or makes me think in black and white. Fortunately, my experience here has allowed me to put that in check (I was hard on Frankie, in that thread, along with a few others, but I'm starting to see that I was being a little too one tracked)

So what is your experience? How has your opinions changed as a result of the forum?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-04-2012, 11:32 AM
RE: How has this forum changed you?
Great insights and question, Stark. I'm going to have to ponder this, but initially I can say this forum has definitely had a positive impact on my life. I'll mull this over more and come up with some specifics.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-04-2012, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 12:00 PM by Anjele.)
In the short time I have been here, my status as an Atheist hasn't changed. Actually, it's been confirmed.

I only really had an issue with Theists that tried to push their beliefs on me. I don't generally have a problem with people of faith as long as we can agree to disagree. Or if it's simply a non-issue.

But I have learned that I still have a whole lot more to learn; about everything. There are people here that astound me with their intelligence and their knowledge on certain topics.
Einstein

And the humor here is awesome! I have always seen a quick wit as a sure sign of intelligence.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-04-2012, 11:44 AM
(26-04-2012 11:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  And the humor here is awesome! I have always seen a quit wit as a sure sign of intelligence.
I hope you're right. Otherwise I must seem like an idiot.

Ok, so maybe I'm just a witty idiot. I'm usually only witty half the time so I'm pretty much a half-wit.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 8 users Like Erxomai's post
26-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Excellent idea for a thread Stark!

First off, I've learned a lot. I've been able to more clearly define my positions, and ideas both through typing out what I think and reading what others think. That's allowed me to see some of the weaknesses and strengths of my positions and to learn more about where other people are coming from. It's a good place for analyzing information... and also self analysis. I can read a thread, participate in a debate, and analyze the information and try to sift out the truth. Or decide if I have a position strong enough to argue. Or if I had the wrong position initially and need to change. I have changed positions through some debates.

I've also been a safe place to be open and honest about who I am, and who I want to be. Other than Egor calling my writing style "prissy" (and maybe he's right, but I don't know how else to write, so everyone will have to deal with it Confused), I've never been derided or put down for who I am. You are all the second people I've ever been open with about being bisexual. The first was my wife. It's good that no one here gives a fuck, I like that. It meant a lot to me because it's something I've suppressed as a part of me since I was very young- as something bad. And here I can just be me.

My position toward Christians hasn't really changed. Having come from a strong religious family, I know there are the good and the bad in everyone, regardless of religion. But this place is a great place to discuss religion (in my opinion) when I feel like discussing it.

This is absolutely the first forum that I've felt compelling enough to devote a lot of time to. Almost every day I spend some time here, reading, learning, joking, laughing... it's a place of relief. I consider you all friends, and I'm thankful you are here. Sorry if I got too personal. Blush
[+] 8 users Like kineo's post
26-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I never really thought about religion all that much, but I did get irritated with religious attitudes a lot.

When I came here I was totaly ticked off with all the crap I had to listen to when my husband died. I was upset already, and it upset me even more. It felt like people were discounting the loss by making up little fairy tales about what really happened to my husband. I felt like shouting: "He died, ok, he's dead! He's gone, and he's not sitting on a cloud with a harp waiting for me." I still can't describe how it all made me feel, instead of normal grieving it gave me tears of rage. You feel entirely impotent anyway when someone dies in front of you, and now I felt impotent again because I was furious at all that crap and had no choice but to thank them for it because they meant well.

So I ended up avoiding people alltogether. When I had to go out I made sure I went to shop at places where no one knew me, driving all the way to the next town. I quit answering the phone and the door.

So then I decided that there must be communities of like minded people online and after poking around several places I found this one and liked it.

I vented some, and I found a lot of interesting topics and I saw views of religion I had never thought about.

So you guys have really helped me a lot - just by being there.

You've helped me by not throwing platitudes at me, by just being supportive, and by letting me see religious issues in a new light. Instead of being just plain annoying, it's now a somewhat interesting phenomenon.

Not saying that it's not annoying anymore what people say to me, and it's not over yet either. But I deal with it better.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 11 users Like Dom's post
26-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Before joining this forum, i was a moral upstanding citizen, Within seconds of registering i was transformed into an evil baby eating monster!. The kind of scum known only as an internet Atheist *gasps*

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 5 users Like FSM_scot's post
26-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I've changed my position on circumcision. And this forum has confirmed everything I don't like about progressive politics.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm not at all certain this forum has changed me that much... but maybe helped me rearrange certain ideologies and thoughts - maybe re-categorized some priorities. If anything it's reassured me that I'm ok - security is always a good thing. Yes

I do know this forum has connected me to people I can relate to much better than many of the people I'm physically near. I don't feel as alien here as I do elsewhere.

I find it interesting that I can weigh the feedback of people I've never met and place greater trust in their opinion, over people I've shared experiences with over several years. Consider

Evil_monster Internet Atheist - I am! Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
26-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't go to bars to drink anymore. TTA's probably saved me tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees for DWI and assault and battery. Probably tens of thousands more in hospital bills 'cause I hadn't yet perfected my sumo skills so I used to get dropped a lot while making my sumo move.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post