How has this forum changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 07:05 PM
RE: How has this forum changed you?
It has educated me on the sheer looniness out there. I more or less thought that religious people were uneducated on or not exposed to science and rational thought.
But it turns out they actively misunderstand or reject them.

It has hardened me against their silliness.

It has made me terse.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
26-04-2012, 07:45 PM
(26-04-2012 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  It has made me terse.

You were terse before you got here. Forum's just given you the opportunity to display it. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-04-2012, 11:10 PM
(26-04-2012 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  It has hardened me against their silliness.

It has made me terse.
So, the deadly part was innate? Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I have always tried to adopt a very open ended position regards secularism and spiritual ideas, not that these need be mutually exclusive.

My experience with religious groups and atheistic groups in Australia have been quite frustrating. as in general I have found both annoyingly dogmatic to the point of belligerence.

People hate to say....."i don't know" as it makes many feel very insecure.

AS for T.T.A, I find a reasonable degree of openness, a lot of humour, some tolerance, and also fresh insights.
Such insights make for a pretty good forum and considerations to take along life's journey
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
27-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Has it changed me? Not really, but it did change some things. I spend less time playing my games, more time reading things here. Also, I am using posts from this forum in discussions with my friends every day. I did slightly change osme of my views after a good debate explained some elements. That has made me more objective and has helped me be more in control during conversations. Also, thanx to you I want to travel more, Canada is the first country I am currently thinking to visit, even thinking of getting a working visa if it is possible.

So yeah, a strong subjects are talked about here and it has made some impact on my psyche.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
27-04-2012, 10:12 AM
it made me realize i don't like atheists either

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
[+] 4 users Like dredmal's post
27-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Religion has always been something unimportant to me. Not that people didn't try to force it on me, but I never felt it was something worth discussing or even really pondering. I of course spent some time looking for these answers people suggest are neccessary for life but what I foun was that there aren't answers only concessions. I don't want to direct my life by something that is just as likely as a bunch of other possibilities.

I came to this forum because I had had enough of religion and it was nice to have a place to release all the tension I had from living i a heavily religious area. This helped and hurt me. I indeed gained a great outlet for venting my frustrations with religious people, but I was also introduced to a lot more about religious activities than I bothered to look into. While it allowed me to keep from being physically violent this site has made me more repulsed by religion.

I'm not heavily against religious people, my current partner is in a way Bhuddist. But I definitely don't want to hear about it all. I grew up around books and video games, so in fiction I don't generally mind; but in real life the idea of this mattering really pisses me off.

I'm in a tough situation recently, because coming to Canada I've stopped really needing to deal with religion. In fact currently my only interaction with the subject is on this forum. This has had me wondering if I want to continue here or not since I would be perfectly fine with it never being mentioned. Of course I'll be back in Missouri soon enough so this is only a small vacation from the issue. I would definitely state that I've learned plenty about religion from this site. A subject I've never considered that important.

Unfortunately the main thing that this site has offered me is a deeper awareness of religion. While I wasn't oblivious to it before I did pay much less attention. The nice thing though, it allowed me to get back to adressing serious ideas. I do think more about study more thanks to being on here from time to time, so it's not all bad =p

I'm not saying it's a bad site or anything. Just being honest about how it has changed me. If I didn't like this site I would've left long ago.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I honestly cannot say that this forum has changed me. This is because it is one of a few that I frequent. It is another outlet for me to discuss what I discuss because Lord knows I lack these outlets in the real world (plenty of friends, but taboo subject etc...).

I will say that I have met awesome people here. I've gotten a lot of insight into what other free-thinkers... well... think! KC is actually not a unique theist to me. I have a friend just like him and I really enjoy talking to that friend as well as I enjoy a discourse with KC on here. If only all theists were like these two guys. Undecided

To be even more honest, I came here expecting a ton of raging theists to be available for debate. I was wrong. There are a few and the few are like Egor.

Here's to getting to know everyone better!

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
27-04-2012, 01:23 PM
This question has made me ponder.
I went back to my very first intro post in order to see if things had indeed changed:

Quote:Hey Everyone,
I decided it was time to get off the pot or join the fray, so here I am.

No big surprise that another conservative evangelical should find his escape from the loving hand of the Father into the world of Reason and sense. I was a Baptist minister for 13 years, son of a Baptist minister, and Born Again at the age of 6 (I had had a life time of horrible sin to require a blood sacrifice and I was so thankful for Jeebus because I couldn't forgive myself for the time I took that extra cookie out of the cookie jar).

Eight years ago I resigned from the ministry because God was telling me I needed to change. I am so thankful that the Lord lead me out of ministry and into Atheism. Like most, my de-conversion didn't happen over night. Through these past eight years, I have gone from disgruntled pastor to disgruntled church goer to disgruntled Christian to backslider to agnostic and finally to an apostate atheist. In fact, this is the first time I am announcing in "public" that I am now an atheist and free thinker. I am so thankful for rationalism and free thought of this site and similar websites. Finally, the documentary, THE GOD WHO WASN'T THERE brought me to the point where I consciously decided to commit the Unpardonable Sin. I blasphemed the Holy Spirit and told Jeebus he was no longer welcome in my heart. Easy to say since, as we all know, God does not exist. [Image: smile.gif]

Because of folks like you I am no longer burdened with toxic superstition but can now breathe the fresh air of common sense!

The tough part has been leaving a life-long loving community. So I'm here. Hi!

The last two lines were why I wanted to be a part of this forum. I'd say I've grown by sharing the pain and humor of my old ways of thinking, and I've felt safe to do so in this community of people who pretend to give a shit. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 7 users Like Erxomai's post
27-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I've definitely learned alot about atheism and realized I've always been an atheist after reading threads in this forum. Change? Not at all...I'm still a bitch.
[+] 1 user Likes Jodienda76's post