How has this forum changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: How has this forum changed you?
(27-04-2012 01:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'd say I've grown by sharing the pain and humor of my old ways of thinking, and I've felt safe to do so in this community of people who pretend to give a shit. Thumbsup
I don't know about anyone else pretending but... I'll always fake it for you, Erxy. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
27-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Starting not to let remarks that would otherwise utterly destroy my self esteem, instead serve as a lesson learned and something to work on. If not, to at least consider more the source before taking any words given to heart.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
[+] 3 users Like AnotherSinner's post
27-04-2012, 09:23 PM
(27-04-2012 09:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Starting not to let remarks that would otherwise utterly destroy my self esteem, instead serve as a lesson learned and something to work on. If not, to at least consider more the source before taking any words given to heart.
Shit Sinner, if your only problem's self-esteem, the nihilists here can help you get over that like immediately. ... But it ain't pretty. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I think that my movements have become more regular now and not as soft as they used to be. At first I thought it was because I was cutting back on the bread and the alcohol, but I really think this forum has a lot to do with it.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 2 users Like arcticspear's post
27-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmmm, good question.

I suppose I have found an 'aether' surrogate family of sorts Smile

I really enjoy the diversity of personalities within this forum and the many points of view. I especially enjoy the awesome intellects in the scientific fields as well as the emotional intelligence of many (you know who you are Smile ). I love watching people of different opinions going 'head to head' as a good debate can give me goosebumps.

What I probably love most of all is the witty banter and smart-arse remarks as there are so many on this forum with a great sense of humour.

In summing up, I don't know whether the forum has really 'changed' me but I do know it has made me laugh (many times over), given me insight and education in many different forms and in many areas.

So thanks TTA Thumbsup You rock Bowing

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
27-04-2012, 11:26 PM
(27-04-2012 02:49 PM)kim Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 01:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'd say I've grown by sharing the pain and humor of my old ways of thinking, and I've felt safe to do so in this community of people who pretend to give a shit. Thumbsup
I don't know about anyone else pretending but... I'll always fake it for you, Erxy. Blush
Oh hunnie bunnie! Heart Heart Heart Heart

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-04-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure the Forum has changed me much; I do love reading the posts, still not sure what to post back in reply though. The podcasts have been more of an influence, as I have more time to listen than to read or think of a response.... I have learned a lot more about what fundimentalist Christians believe, and what this weird Creationist/ID thing is about - very strange stuff IMO!
28-04-2012, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2012 07:22 AM by Chas.)
(27-04-2012 11:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 02:49 PM)kim Wrote:  I don't know about anyone else pretending but... I'll always fake it for you, Erxy. Blush
Oh hunnie bunnie! Heart Heart Heart Heart
Geez, get a room. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-04-2012, 04:31 PM
(26-04-2012 11:10 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  It has hardened me against their silliness.

It has made me terse.
So, the deadly part was innate? Blush
No, the deadly part is an outcome. Cool

It was Luminon (where'd he go?) who described me as terse and deadly:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e=threaded

He may not have meant it as a compliment. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-04-2012, 04:59 PM
This forum has actually changed me in some ways.

When I came here my life had just taken a turn for the worse. My rage level was super saiyan and was looking for a fight.
Back when I was younger I would have just gone out and gotten into a couple of fights until my rage level had cooled a bit, but I'm older now, bruises hurt more, prison is a real thing, and I have a wonderful child to look after.

The thing that was really itching me was religion, to be specific my religious pseudo relatives. They still bother the fuck out of me, but I no longer want to murder them and burn down their house. I have gone from the desire to be a militant atheist, and now have resolved to live and let live so long as no personal boundries become crossed. Then I will still fight back.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post