How has this forum changed you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: How has this forum changed you?
(27-04-2012 10:37 PM)arcticspear Wrote:  I think that my movements have become more regular now and not as soft as they used to be. At first I thought it was because I was cutting back on the bread and the alcohol, but I really think this forum has a lot to do with it.

Well, Artic, that's just tough shit! This is a hard-arsed forum!

I always thought that life / relationships were about connections:
  • Cerebral (head),
  • Emotional (heart)
  • Physical (naughty bits)

This being my first and only forum, I was not sure what to expect when I joined but I think I expected to be challenged cerebrally. I think it has been less challenging and more confirming of the values I already hold.

I was not expecting any emotional impact but there have been some posts / stories that have choked me up (e.g. Observer's life story). Given the incredible life stories of the women/girls that I give temporary shelter to (rapes, murders, abuse, abandoment), I thought I had grown immune to it all. Only goes to show.

Of course, this being a virtual world, I have had no physical connection with any of you (count yourselves lucky... I do) but Artic's post has proved that TTA can have a physical impact (although I suspect that bread and alcohol might be a more accurate diagnosis).

Cheers

DLJ

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Lol Magoo

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-11-2012, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 07:03 AM by Vosur.)
Thanks to my participation on this forum, both my grades in religion and my advanced English course have been fantastic this year. I currently have the second highest grade in the former subject (14 points/A), while having the best possible grade in the latter (15 points/A+). My overall knowledge about philosophy, science, religion, the history of the Bible, critical thinking and the scientific method has increased by a fair amount as well. Last but not least, over the months I've been on this forum, I've come to be much more relaxed when faced with irrationality and have come to learn to respond in a matter that fits my mood. While sometimes resulting to ad hominems and name-calling when I first joined here, I minimized this to calling theists delusional which was then followed by dropping every personal attack in a debate. I almost forgot to mention that I would've probably never come out to my dad as an unbeliever were it not for you guys.

All combined, this forum has improved my life greatly and I want to thank everyone for making that possible. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
21-11-2012, 07:04 AM
(21-11-2012 06:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Thanks to my participation on this forum, both my grades in religion and my advanced English course have been fantastic this year. I currently have the second highest grade in the former subject (14 points/A), while having the best possible grade in the latter (15 points/A+). My overall knowledge about philosophy, science, religion, the history of the Bible, critical thinking and the scientific method has increased by a fair amount as well. Last but not least, over the months I've been on this forum, I've come to be much more relaxed when faced with irrationality and have come to learn to respond in a matter that fits my mood. While sometimes resulting to ad hominems and name-calling when I first joined here, I minimized this to calling theists delusional which was then followed by dropping every personal attack in a debate. I almost forgot to mention that I would've probably never come out to my dad as an unbeliever were it not for you guys.

All combined, this forum has improved my life greatly and I want to thank everyone for making that possible. Smile
*improved Tongue

Bechased

Dangnabbit! He corrected before I could quote him!!! Hoist by my own petard! The German strikes again Angry
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-11-2012, 07:05 AM
(21-11-2012 07:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 06:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Thanks to my participation on this forum, both my grades in religion and my advanced English course have been fantastic this year. I currently have the second highest grade in the former subject (14 points/A), while having the best possible grade in the latter (15 points/A+). My overall knowledge about philosophy, science, religion, the history of the Bible, critical thinking and the scientific method has increased by a fair amount as well. Last but not least, over the months I've been on this forum, I've come to be much more relaxed when faced with irrationality and have come to learn to respond in a matter that fits my mood. While sometimes resulting to ad hominems and name-calling when I first joined here, I minimized this to calling theists delusional which was then followed by dropping every personal attack in a debate. I almost forgot to mention that I would've probably never come out to my dad as an unbeliever were it not for you guys.

*improved Tongue

Bechased
I don't know what you're talking about. It says "improved" right there in the post you quoted. Angel Hehehehe...

Edit:
(21-11-2012 07:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  Dangnabbit! He corrected before I could quote him!!! Hoist by my own petard! The German strikes again Angry
You better get used to it, 'fucker. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
21-11-2012, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2012 06:54 AM by Bucky Ball.)
When I came here I was SO intimidated. I thought you all were a bunch of incredibly smart brainy pinheads, and that I was in WAY over my head. Now I know you're just all pinheads. Tongue

Coming from a weird side of religion, (ie the "nuns on the bus" type of liberals, where they are actually talking about "moving beyond Jesus " !), I don't have the visceral reaction many of you do, to religion, as I was never subjected to the really negative junk, and my family was always cool with whatever I chose to study or think. I do detest the BS of fundamentalism, and it's SUCH is huge fraud, and it's fun to poke at .. kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Weeping

I guess it changed me only in that it taught me I could argue with the best of em. I really didn't know that before.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-11-2012, 03:03 PM
(21-11-2012 02:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When I came here I was SO intimidated. I thought you all were a bunch of incredibly smart brainy pinheads, and that I was WAY over my head. Now I know you're just all pinheads. Tongue

Coming from a weird side of religion, (ie the "nuns on the bus" type of liberals, where they are actually talking about "moving beyond Jesus !"), I don't have the visceral reaction many of you do, to religion, as I was never subjected to the really negative junk, and my family was always cool with whatever I chose to study or think. I do detest the BS of fundamentalism, and it's SUCH is huge fraud, and it's fun to poke at .. kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Weeping

I guess it changed me only in that it taught me I could argue with the best of em. I really didn't know that before.

I feel like we've created a Robo-Bucky of Destruction!
I'm so proud of you, Son. Bowing

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 04:36 PM
(21-11-2012 02:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When I came here I was SO intimidated. I thought you all were a bunch of incredibly smart brainy pinheads, and that I was WAY over my head. Now I know you're just all pinheads. Tongue

Coming from a weird side of religion, (ie the "nuns on the bus" type of liberals, where they are actually talking about "moving beyond Jesus !"), I don't have the visceral reaction many of you do, to religion, as I was never subjected to the really negative junk, and my family was always cool with whatever I chose to study or think. I do detest the BS of fundamentalism, and it's SUCH is huge fraud, and it's fun to poke at .. kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Weeping

We have the technology to rebuild this man.
Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-11-2012, 04:48 PM
(21-11-2012 02:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Now I know you're just all pinheads. Tongue ... I guess it changed me only in that it taught me I could argue with the best of em. I really didn't know that before.

Once you realize everybody's a fucking pinhead everything becomes much easier. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-11-2012, 05:29 PM
How has this forum changed me...

Well, I'm as much of a smart mouthed arse as I ever was, but thanks to you guys (special props go to the theist trolls) I've got a considerable amount of new ammo to make jokes of and arguments against religion with.

Oh, yeah and there is the slightly increased social ability..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.