How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Or have you been an atheist all your life?

I became an atheist around 2015, and since then, a lot has changed in the way that I view the world. My relationships with family have changed, we don't exactly see 'eye to eye' on so many issues. Personally, I feel a lot more free and confident about myself. I feel able to think for myself without constantly wondering "what if I'm wrong?" I have found a lot more clarity in my worldview because I used to second-guess myself, wondering if God was going to 'disown' me if I thought the wrong thing, or did the wrong thing. I am so much happier now, but it's harder to relate to my family.

How about you all? What is your experience? I wanna know!!
Love and Peace! Heart

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes hannaskywalker's post
26-01-2017, 10:33 AM
RE: How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
At work.

Been a 'Non-theist' pretty much forever.....

So, same old same old.

Kind'a boring..... sorry....
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 10:35 AM
My voice cracked and I got hair in places I didn't have it before Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2017, 10:39 AM
(26-01-2017 10:33 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Been a 'Non-theist' pretty much forever.....

So, same old same old.

Thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what's the difference between the terms "non-theist" and "atheist"?

Also, what motivates you to post to the Thinking Atheist forums if you've been non - theist all your life? (Just curious!!)

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
26-01-2017, 10:40 AM
(26-01-2017 10:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My voice cracked and I got hair in places I didn't have it before Big Grin

LOL, so you became atheist when you hit puberty, then?

26-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Sex is better, no more guilt Wink And I don't make any of my choices in life by asking myself WWJD. I live my life based on my wants, desires, needs, likes, loves and not on what a magical sky genie wants me to be doing. I know all life is precious, that there is no after life. We get one life so hold onto the ones you love and really live your life to the fullest and don't put life or dreams on hold.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
26-01-2017, 10:45 AM
(26-01-2017 10:40 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My voice cracked and I got hair in places I didn't have it before Big Grin

LOL, so you became atheist when you hit puberty, then?

Well, before. I guess I've been an atheist since I recognized that not believing was an option. Like, I always assumed there was God because that's what all the grown ups believed. But nothing in Sunday school made sense and one day I learned there was a such thing as people who didn't believe in God and I was like "Yeah, I think that's me." So pretty much as young as I can remember.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-01-2017, 10:47 AM
At work.

(26-01-2017 10:39 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:33 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Been a 'Non-theist' pretty much forever.....

So, same old same old.

Thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what's the difference between the terms "non-theist" and "atheist"?

Also, what motivates you to post to the Thinking Atheist forums if you've been non - theist all your life? (Just curious!!)

Given the vagarities(sp?) of the language I feel 'Non-theist' is a more/better/exact description of my head space. Yes

As for posting here? Can't remember how I found this little corner of the interwebz but the people are fine on the whole and I've been lucky enough to he able to do a little good with my time here-abouts. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 10:48 AM
(26-01-2017 10:39 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  Thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what's the difference between the terms "non-theist" and "atheist"?

Since I've also been a non-theist all my life... up until 2000 I was pretty much an apatheist -- I didn't believe but just never paid any attention to religion. When I noticed the religious right starting to really infect the political landscape I started being more open about being an atheist.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-01-2017, 10:49 AM
(26-01-2017 10:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Sex is better, no more guilt Wink And I don't make any of my choices in life by asking myself WWJD. I live my life based on my wants, desires, needs, likes, loves and not on what a magical sky genie wants me to be doing. I know all life is precious, that there is no after life. We get one life so hold onto the ones you love and really live your life to the fullest and don't put life or dreams on hold.

Heck yeah! I feel the same about not having to worry about being judged by a space monster. Personally, when people talk about God/Jesus to me, I imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and then have a secret chuckle to myself! LOL. Do you get people telling you that you're "selfish" for living according to your own desires & needs? I sure do, especially as a woman. I feel like I'm fighting the "you should be a Mother Theresa" type of situation.

[+] 1 user Likes hannaskywalker's post