How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 10:50 AM
RE: How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
Pretty much same as Peebo

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Not much - but I think, on some level, I always fought against religion and the idea of god. I also think being raised in fairly non-religious New England was the best situation for me, as an atheist.

However, since becoming a parent, being an atheist has really opened my eyes to how other people raise their children and the harm religion can do.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
26-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Rainbow RE: How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
(26-01-2017 10:45 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:40 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  LOL, so you became atheist when you hit puberty, then?

Well, before. I guess I've been an atheist since I recognized that not believing was an option. Like, I always assumed there was God because that's what all the grown ups believed. But nothing in Sunday school made sense and one day I learned there was a such thing as people who didn't believe in God and I was like "Yeah, I think that's me." So pretty much as young as I can remember.

That's interesting that you say that you realized that "not believing was an option." It's so strange to me that it took me so long to figure out that was a viable option! I grew up so entrenched in church stuff, but never felt that I actually "fit in" with the teachings. I always felt guilty for thinking different, I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Then I found out you could just walk away and stop believing that crap altogether. Good riddance! Tongue

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
26-01-2017, 11:00 AM
At work.

(26-01-2017 10:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Pretty much same as Peebo

Don't worry. There are pills now for that. Thumbsup

Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 11:09 AM
(26-01-2017 10:47 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

(26-01-2017 10:39 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  Thanks for the reply! In your opinion, what's the difference between the terms "non-theist" and "atheist"?

Also, what motivates you to post to the Thinking Atheist forums if you've been non - theist all your life? (Just curious!!)

Given the vagarities(sp?) of the language I feel 'Non-theist' is a more/better/exact description of my head space. Yes

As for posting here? Can't remember how I found this little corner of the interwebz but the people are fine on the whole and I've been lucky enough to he able to do a little good with my time here-abouts. Smile

Yeah, I can see how the labels of "atheist" or "non-theist" have different connotations. I tend to identify myself as a "secular person" or "humanist" to people who ask because I don't want to be exorcised in public for using the evil "atheist" word! Evil_monster

And I also think there are some really great, decent heathens on this site!

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
26-01-2017, 11:13 AM
(26-01-2017 10:49 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Sex is better, no more guilt Wink And I don't make any of my choices in life by asking myself WWJD. I live my life based on my wants, desires, needs, likes, loves and not on what a magical sky genie wants me to be doing. I know all life is precious, that there is no after life. We get one life so hold onto the ones you love and really live your life to the fullest and don't put life or dreams on hold.

Heck yeah! I feel the same about not having to worry about being judged by a space monster. Personally, when people talk about God/Jesus to me, I imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and then have a secret chuckle to myself! LOL. Do you get people telling you that you're "selfish" for living according to your own desires & needs? I sure do, especially as a woman. I feel like I'm fighting the "you should be a Mother Theresa" type of situation.

Mother Theresa wasn't the saint they make her out to be. So I may get a little pleasure about informing them about that Wink

I've had people say I'm being selfish--and they can think what they want. I'm still not believing in or living my life for a leprechaun who lives in the clouds. If not living my life in delusion makes me selfish, then fine, I'm selfish Tongue

Around the same time that the OT was being written, there was the belief that if you didn't have a god (whether it was God god or a pantheon god) you were destined to walk the world as a free spirit (after you died). While this must have sounded like a horrific fate to biblical people of the time, I rather like it. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-01-2017, 11:19 AM
(26-01-2017 10:59 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Not much - but I think, on some level, I always fought against religion and the idea of god. I also think being raised in fairly non-religious New England was the best situation for me, as an atheist.

However, since becoming a parent, being an atheist has really opened my eyes to how other people raise their children and the harm religion can do.

Wow, I would have thought New England was more religious. I grew up in the South, so it was a very heavily Christian environment. Have you ever heard of Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" parenting advice?

26-01-2017, 11:21 AM
How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
Parents weren't good at indoctrination so my life didn't change much when I threw off shackles of religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
26-01-2017, 11:27 AM
At work.

(26-01-2017 11:09 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:47 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Given the vagarities(sp?) of the language I feel 'Non-theist' is a more/better/exact description of my head space. Yes

As for posting here? Can't remember how I found this little corner of the interwebz but the people are fine on the whole and I've been lucky enough to he able to do a little good with my time here-abouts. Smile

Yeah, I can see how the labels of "atheist" or "non-theist" have different connotations. I tend to identify myself as a "secular person" or "humanist" to people who ask because I don't want to be exorcised in public for using the evil "atheist" word! Evil_monster

And I also think there are some really great, decent heathens on this site!

As some old time friends used to say;

"I'm no Heathen! Shove the grass of the heath up you @rse! I'm a f@ckin' PAGAN!"

Tongue

Thumbsup

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 11:29 AM
For me personally, dropping theism has given me a sense of clarity that I didn't have when I was a theist.

I no longer have to bend myself in logical knots trying to understand or explain the will of God when I see so much pain, injustice, natural disasters, etc etc etc.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post