How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 11:53 AM
RE: How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
(26-01-2017 10:59 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:45 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Well, before. I guess I've been an atheist since I recognized that not believing was an option. Like, I always assumed there was God because that's what all the grown ups believed. But nothing in Sunday school made sense and one day I learned there was a such thing as people who didn't believe in God and I was like "Yeah, I think that's me." So pretty much as young as I can remember.

That's interesting that you say that you realized that "not believing was an option." It's so strange to me that it took me so long to figure out that was a viable option! I grew up so entrenched in church stuff, but never felt that I actually "fit in" with the teachings. I always felt guilty for thinking different, I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Then I found out you could just walk away and stop believing that crap altogether. Good riddance! Tongue

Children initially believe that their parents are omnipotent regardless of how intelligent they (the children or the parents) are. My oldest son is being forced to learn that this is not the case much sooner than average due primarily to the fact that I'm a raging smartass. Two years ago if I'd told him ghosts exist, he'd have believed me because there was no basis for comparison in his limited experience. Now I can't even fart and then calmly state "Oops, I shit myself" without him recognizing that I did in fact not poop in my pants and calling my bluff with confidence. Doing my part to raise skeptical children Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-01-2017, 11:53 AM
(26-01-2017 11:19 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:59 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Not much - but I think, on some level, I always fought against religion and the idea of god. I also think being raised in fairly non-religious New England was the best situation for me, as an atheist.

However, since becoming a parent, being an atheist has really opened my eyes to how other people raise their children and the harm religion can do.

Wow, I would have thought New England was more religious. I grew up in the South, so it was a very heavily Christian environment. Have you ever heard of Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" parenting advice?

In my experience, Massachusetts is not very religious. Maybe I should say...there are likely many religious people here (mostly Catholic), but it's not as 'in your face' as I find it is in the south. Granted, I have only visited and never lived down south, so I am speaking anecdotally.

I am familiar w/ Dobson. I fell through a rabbit hole of research one day and came across his teachings because of the Duggars. Yikes.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
26-01-2017, 12:04 PM
It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I even heard of the word atheist. I thank YouTube & The Atheist Experience for shedding some light on what I've been my whole life.

I didn't become an atheist. I merely found out there was a label for people who lacked a belief in gods.

And that label described my non belief perfectly.

Since that time, I've become more vocal about calling people out on their bullshit beliefs. When religious nuts come to my door I'm more prepared and get less uptight about answering them in a more aggressive manner.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
26-01-2017, 12:05 PM
My life has changed very drastically. With my religion gone, I was no longer feeling guilty about issues that I'd repressed for so long- like my sexuality and gender identity. Eventually, when listening to a TTA podcast, Seth's guest Zinnia Jones in 2011 or 2012 caught my attention and some of the things she said about gender resonated with me and made so much sense. Over time I realized that I was Bi and transgender. Anyway, that's lead to some pretty drastic changes over the last several years lol.

Fuckin' awesome changes, though.

I don't miss a thing about religion, personally.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
26-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Most significant change is that I'm happier because I'm no longer trying to squeeze into a mindset that never fit me.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
26-01-2017, 01:19 PM
My life has changed for the better. I know longer feel as though someone is watching me at all times or the overall feeling that I was created "imperfect" or that I am a "sinner." Now, I am able to live my life without feeling inhibited by religion and I feel free to pursue anything without having the need to give back to god.

Also, I love not having to force myself to go to church on sundays!
[+] 1 user Likes Darth_DeGrasse's post
26-01-2017, 01:19 PM
(26-01-2017 11:19 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  Wow, I would have thought New England was more religious.

There are a lot of believers in New England but it's a much more private matter. I grew up there and religion was just never mentioned outside of church. It's easy being an atheist there.

Quote:I grew up in the South, so it was a very heavily Christian environment. Have you ever heard of Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" parenting advice?

Unfortunately, yes.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-01-2017, 01:30 PM
(26-01-2017 12:05 PM)kineo Wrote:  My life has changed very drastically. With my religion gone, I was no longer feeling guilty about issues that I'd repressed for so long- like my sexuality and gender identity. Eventually, when listening to a TTA podcast, Seth's guest Zinnia Jones in 2011 or 2012 caught my attention and some of the things she said about gender resonated with me and made so much sense. Over time I realized that I was Bi and transgender. Anyway, that's lead to some pretty drastic changes over the last several years lol.

Fuckin' awesome changes, though.

I don't miss a thing about religion, personally.

Heart I love hearing stories like yours! I have heard Zinnia's episode too. It really opened my eyes to how isolating it can be for people who are transgender. I'm glad you are happy in your new-found freedom. I am happy too! Big Grin

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes hannaskywalker's post
26-01-2017, 01:31 PM
(26-01-2017 01:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:19 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  Wow, I would have thought New England was more religious.

There are a lot of believers in New England but it's a much more private matter. I grew up there and religion was just never mentioned outside of church. It's easy being an atheist there.

Quote:I grew up in the South, so it was a very heavily Christian environment. Have you ever heard of Dr. James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" parenting advice?

Unfortunately, yes.

I didn't know you grew up in NE. I did too. I agree it is easier in NE to be an atheist than say in the Midwest (a place I've also lived) bc it's not so in your face. However, if you have a religious family like I do, being an atheist in your immediate circle, even living in NE, is not easy.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Mu life didn't change that much, I was only 12 and that was 20 years ago but I already didn't get along with my parents and the kids at school already thought I was weirdo. If anything it made me more confident and comfortable in my skin and I found out who my true friends were but even at this point I live in a very liberal area and even the Christians aren't very devout. I don't see many other religions represented around here either so I fit in pretty well and I rarely butt heads with anyone except online.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post