How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
(26-01-2017 01:30 PM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 12:05 PM)kineo Wrote:  My life has changed very drastically. With my religion gone, I was no longer feeling guilty about issues that I'd repressed for so long- like my sexuality and gender identity. Eventually, when listening to a TTA podcast, Seth's guest Zinnia Jones in 2011 or 2012 caught my attention and some of the things she said about gender resonated with me and made so much sense. Over time I realized that I was Bi and transgender. Anyway, that's lead to some pretty drastic changes over the last several years lol.

Fuckin' awesome changes, though.

I don't miss a thing about religion, personally.

Heart I love hearing stories like yours! I have heard Zinnia's episode too. It really opened my eyes to how isolating it can be for people who are transgender. I'm glad you are happy in your new-found freedom. I am happy too! Big Grin

Zinnia is pretty great, imo Big Grin She's got great information on trans issues for anyone curuious: http://genderanalysis.net/

I have Seth to thank for making that connection possible for me!

Anyway, I'm quite happy and I'm glad you're happy also! Becoming an atheist has certainly led to a life improvement for me, overall!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
26-01-2017, 03:23 PM
No great change as I had doubts early on. However, after finding this site and others like it, I've increased my knowledge of religion.

I've also learned how to keep my mouth shut at times. Theists seem to have carte blanche to spew religious nonsense but non-believers are shunned if too vocal. Don't get me wrong, I'll call BS when I have to but I've learned to live and let live.

A sad by-product is in the modern days of the social media explosion, I see peers, friends, etc who make statements that frankly make me feel less of them. When I was growing up in the 70s & 80s we didn't have anything like this and I probably had better view of these people.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
26-01-2017, 05:13 PM
I eat more babies, of course. Duh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-01-2017, 05:19 PM
It wasn't a sudden change for me -- just part of growing up and learning about the world. I was raised in a devout Catholic family and swallowed all of it for a while, but eventually you find out that adults disagree with each other sometimes, and they can be wrong sometimes, and they can lie sometimes, and then you put two and two together -- maybe all that wacky Bible shit isn't true? But it was kind of gradual. Once I was out of my parents' direct control, I stopped going to church on Sunday, but I was already an atheist for all practical purposes well before that.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-01-2017, 06:18 PM
(26-01-2017 10:30 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  How has your life changed since becoming an atheist?
Or have you been an atheist all your life?

I became an atheist around 2015, and since then, a lot has changed in the way that I view the world. My relationships with family have changed, we don't exactly see 'eye to eye' on so many issues. Personally, I feel a lot more free and confident about myself. I feel able to think for myself without constantly wondering "what if I'm wrong?" I have found a lot more clarity in my worldview because I used to second-guess myself, wondering if God was going to 'disown' me if I thought the wrong thing, or did the wrong thing. I am so much happier now, but it's harder to relate to my family.

How about you all? What is your experience? I wanna know!!
Love and Peace! Heart

I suffer a lot less cognitive dissonance. The world never made sense when I was a believer. As soon as I admitted that it was all false, religion that is, the world righted itself.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
26-01-2017, 07:31 PM
(26-01-2017 06:18 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The world never made sense when I was a believer. As soon as I admitted that it was all false, religion that is, the world righted itself.
Amen to that, bruthuh!

Which is not to say that all is now sweetness and light, just that it is far more comprehensible / understandable.

My adult son dropped dead for no particular reason a few months ago, a Bad Thing to have happen by anyone's standards. But at least it was not made worse by having to explain why god allowed / caused it, or having to come up with tortured explanations of why god did not fail in his self-proclaimed role of protector of the righteous, or a thousand other things. I have grieved loved ones as a believer and as an unbeliever, and I can tell you from personal experience, that one of the biggest crocks of shit sold in the NT is the admonition that believers "should not grieve as those who have no hope". As if it's better to grieve while laboring under the burden of a false hope than to have a simple, uncomplicated, pure grief based on simple bad luck.

When my mother died in a car crash, or my brother died of bone cancer, or when my wife died of about three things at once, those things weren't "supposed" to happen. It was off-script. It was contrary to earnest prayer offered by skilled "prayer warriors" in good faith. All those deaths (not counting deaths by "natural causes") happened before my full deconversion.

When my son died, it was just another thing happening. I only had to deal with the fact that I loved him and now miss him. I didn't have to force-fit it into some imaginary plan of some imaginary god. I feel that the experience of losing him was way more honest, more pure, and less distracted by the need for performance art to satisfy the expectations of others. Sure, it was more raw, and untempered by any comforting lies. He is gone, and I won't see him again. But that was true of all the others, too, if only I would have admitted it.

There's something else. I lived my life with my son with the full awareness that he could vanish from my life at any time, without there having to even be a "reason". And that means I cherished the time I had with him, the experiences we shared, and was fully present for and with him at all times. It means I kept short accounts, never left anything unsaid or undone that I felt should have been said or done. So when the nice ER doctor called me one night just as I was going to sleep to tell me that she had just worked for an hour and a half trying to revive my son, and she was terribly sorry, but she was unable to do it, and he was gone -- when that happened, my first thought was not that I had not told him enough that I loved him, or not supported him enough in life, because I figured we had all the time in the world, and in the world to come. I didn't screw that up because I knew there was no room TO screw it up. And that has made this loss far easier to bear.

That has to be the biggest thing leaving the faith has done for me: I recognize that everything is impermanent. I didn't even need the Buddah to tell me that. And I live my life accordingly.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
29-01-2017, 08:06 AM
(26-01-2017 03:23 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I've also learned how to keep my mouth shut at times. Theists seem to have carte blanche to spew religious nonsense but non-believers are shunned if too vocal. Don't get me wrong, I'll call BS when I have to but I've learned to live and let live.

Yes! I have noticed this as well. I've been posting more of my opinion on my personal social media, and my conservative family doesn't seem to like it! But they get to ask for prayers and post Bible verses everywhere... Hobo Whatever!

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
29-01-2017, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 08:41 AM by DLJ.)
(26-01-2017 07:31 PM)mordant Wrote:  That has to be the biggest thing leaving the faith has done for me: I recognize that everything is impermanent. I didn't even need the Buddah to tell me that. And I live my life accordingly.

(I tried to reply earlier, and it posted an empty response! Not sure what's up.)
You we're missing a [/ quote].
DLJ

Mordant, it seems like you have had more than your fair share of grief in this life. I'm so sorry for your losses. Life is so short, and it's easy to forget that and get caught up in all the family drama and the mundanity. Thank you for sharing.

I consider myself fortunate in that I have not lost many people in my life yet, though I am young. My sister has battled lymphoma (and is cancer free now!). At the same time that she was going through treatment, I was becoming an atheist, and I tried so hard to hide who I was inside. I was scared to only add to my family's suffering, and cause some great shame. But those walls also caused a rift between myself and my parents (not so much my sister). I really struggle with trying to find a way to have relationships with people who are seem to value religion over relationships with family.

You offered some valuable insight about life and relationships. I'd love to know what you would say to someone in my situation.

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
29-01-2017, 08:35 AM
(29-01-2017 08:31 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  (I tried to reply earlier, and it posted an empty response! Not sure what's up.)

That happens when the quote and /quote tags don't match up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-01-2017, 08:37 AM
(26-01-2017 11:53 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:19 AM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  

In my experience, Massachusetts is not very religious. Maybe I should say...there are likely many religious people here (mostly Catholic), but it's not as 'in your face' as I find it is in the south. Granted, I have only visited and never lived down south, so I am speaking anecdotally.

I am familiar w/ Dobson. I fell through a rabbit hole of research one day and came across his teachings because of the Duggars. Yikes.

Haha! I love those internet rabbit holes! That's how I found the Thinking Atheist! My Baptist parents raised me up under the Dobson Focus on the Family hoobla-gobla. In fact, when I was a teen, I had to check his website review of every movie that I wanted to see with my friends.

I'm not a parent yet, but someday I hope to teach my kids how to think critically and make good decisions.