Poll: How much did the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site?
I'm a theist and changing the beliefs of atheists is my mission.
I'm a theist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm a theist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if atheists adopt my beliefs.
I'm an atheist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if theists lose their beliefs to reflect my own.
I'm an atheist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm an atheist and changing the beliefs of theists is my mission.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Don't worry. Everyone gets to stay regardless of how they answer. (Okay, full disclosure; I'm not someone who can give you the boot regardless.) I'm just curious to know to what degree folks are here to test their convictions or to influence the religious views of others. That's it.

Everyone loves answering polls, right? If you can find an answer response that best approximates your own stance that would really be peachy. Of course some people are polls-intolerant or afflicted with poll induced Turrets syndrome. You guys do what you need to do.

Beyond this thread's title, what I'd really like to know is how much the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site. Please choose all that apply.

1) I'm a theist and changing the beliefs of atheists is my mission.

2) I'm a theist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.

3) I'm a theist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if atheists adopt my beliefs.

4) I'm an atheist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if theists lose their beliefs to reflect my own.

5) I'm an atheist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.

6) I'm an atheist and changing the beliefs of theists is my mission.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
09-09-2017, 04:15 PM
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
Doh! Looks like I edited that poll question to the point of no return. Hopefully it still makes some sense.

I'm going to have to go with 4. Making more atheists isn't my job. So I'm selecting 4 but I sometimes like to play so I also selecting 5. Peace out.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
09-09-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
I’ll try to change a person’s convictions if those convictions fall into the range of fundamentalism. I think people with fundamentalist leanings (whether they’re fundamentalist theists, or fundamentalist atheists) are dangerous to the human condition.

I didn’t come here to challenge anyone’s way of thinking, nor do I find that my way of thinking has been successfully challenged by anyone here so far. I’d be happy to test my own beliefs, and I do think some people have tried to challenge me, but really, they’re speaking a totally different “language” and it often doesn’t resonate. As comfortable and confident as I feel in my own religious beliefs, if some Yeshiva-Jew-turned-atheist presented a case to me, I think that person would at least be able to put their views in terms that I can understand. I’d actually welcome that.

I follow Judaism because it makes the most sense to me, it doesn’t contradict what I see in the natural world (and agrees with what I see), and the tenants of Judaism have a positive effect on my life. I don’t do it out of fear or desire to please anyone else. I do it because I like it. It’s very hard for people to argue a case against that, try as they might.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
09-09-2017, 04:32 PM
I’m an atheist who is willing to consider the evidence for a deity. My lack of belief in a deity in no way translates to a belief.
[+] 6 users Like Rachel's post
09-09-2017, 04:37 PM
You (the all-inclusive "you" as in "y'all") have a right to your own beliefs and I have mine. I promise never to come to your house or even accost you on the street or in a parking lot or on line to hand you atheist literature or try to convince you of the Truth of the FSM. All I ask is the same courtesy from theists.

Turrets syndrome? Is that a need to state an opinion whlie standing in a small tower? A need to see yourself as a towering presence? An unhealthy love for castles and battle tanks?
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
09-09-2017, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 05:05 PM by SYZ.)
(09-09-2017 04:07 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Beyond this thread's title, what I'd really like to know is how much the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site...

None of your poll options would match my attitude, so I chose not to vote in order to avoid skewing its results. And I'd certainly have very little time for any theist who'd like to "test" my atheism—whatever that means?

So. I've been an atheist for nearly 60 years, and I've not once in that time even considered the likelihood that I could be anything but an atheist. I've also never once tried to "deconvert" a theist—other than to explain the scientific evidence supporting my lack of religious beliefs if they should ask.

Thus far I've had relatively few people try to convert me—other than your usual, door-fucking-knocking, rabid Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. I've learned that as an atheist, it's a waste of time debating religion with theists as they're never gonna give up their blind faith in their sky-daddy, regardless of any debunking you might throw at them.

I've got a few friends who're theists, but we simply never talk about their religion, or my lack thereof. Why should we? It'd be a waste of time for both of us. Smartass

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
09-09-2017, 05:51 PM
None of this has anything to do with why I am here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
09-09-2017, 06:14 PM
(09-09-2017 04:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’ll try to change a person’s convictions if those convictions fall into the range of fundamentalism. I think people with fundamentalist leanings (whether they’re fundamentalist theists, or fundamentalist atheists) are dangerous to the human condition.

I didn’t come here to challenge anyone’s way of thinking, nor do I find that my way of thinking has been successfully challenged by anyone here so far. I’d be happy to test my own beliefs, and I do think some people have tried to challenge me, but really, they’re speaking a totally different “language” and it often doesn’t resonate. As comfortable and confident as I feel in my own religious beliefs, if some Yeshiva-Jew-turned-atheist presented a case to me, I think that person would at least be able to put their views in terms that I can understand. I’d actually welcome that.

I follow Judaism because it makes the most sense to me, it doesn’t contradict what I see in the natural world (and agrees with what I see), and the tenants of Judaism have a positive effect on my life. I don’t do it out of fear or desire to please anyone else. I do it because I like it. It’s very hard for people to argue a case against that, try as they might.

What she said (mostly, as I am not a Jew, despite just subjecting myself to Agent Emes the other day). I'm not here to convert anyone, nor seeking to deconvert (despite what my Kindle recommendations seems to believe). I like the people, the conversations, and the podcast. Also I just logged on after Mass.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
09-09-2017, 06:15 PM
I'm here to hang out with other atheists and participate in conversations that I find interesting or fun. I'm not trying to influence people's religious beliefs (even though I think those beliefs are pernicious and a net negative for all societies).

I haven't found any theist here who's posed a question/challenge that I haven't already considered. Therefore on your list of options, I'm a moderate #4. If some theist posited a meaningful challenge, I'd be a weak half one of #5. I'm happy to point out a fallacy or moral shortcoming in a theist's arguments, but I'm not doing that in the hopes of making the theist change their basic beliefs.

My opinion is that most religious beliefs are sub-rational and won't be changed by rational arguments.
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
09-09-2017, 06:34 PM
I think I'm similar to SYZ's response...is it cocky or closed-minded to suggest I just ain't gonna really be open to a "challenge" to my atheism? I mildly would want to change someone's theism to atheism but don't have too much concern. If someone has something new to tell me challenge my atheism, for God's sake let me know.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post