Poll: How much did the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site?
I'm a theist and changing the beliefs of atheists is my mission.
I'm a theist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm a theist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if atheists adopt my beliefs.
I'm an atheist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if theists lose their beliefs to reflect my own.
I'm an atheist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm an atheist and changing the beliefs of theists is my mission.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
I only want to influence people into thinking rationally.
If I can do that, religion will die away on its own.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
12-09-2017, 07:47 PM
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
(12-09-2017 10:19 AM)Leo Wrote:  I'm a atheist willing to challenge my nihilist point of view. But the most important mission is to winning the last person to post wins thread.TongueBig GrinLaugh out load

Are you really challenging it? Or are you just responding to it in the only rational way? Smile

#sigh
13-09-2017, 05:12 AM
I would say that I would like to cause some theists to think about something in regards to religion, I've been part of some pretty amazing threads where I don't think the troll changed their mind, but I bet some who would read through that thread probably took away some points to think about.

Part of the reason I post here is to try out an argument I thought of on the nutball trolls, but the trolls generally don't think, they mindlessly regurgitate apologetic talking points.

After doing this for a while, I realized that just about all of the apologetics come down to arguments from ignorance and post-hoc rationalizations.

You will always hit a wall when someone does two basic defensive actions:

Refuse to understand how their reasons for believing are refuted.

Completely ignore how their reasons for believing are undercut and continue making the same argument.

Then it's just a matter of stating the same stupidity over and over and thinking that somehow they made a great point.

Boring.... Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-09-2017, 06:20 AM
(13-09-2017 05:12 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I would say that I would like to cause some theists to think about something in regards to religion, I've been part of some pretty amazing threads where I don't think the troll changed their mind, but I bet some who would read through that thread probably took away some points to think about.

Part of the reason I post here is to try out an argument I thought of on the nutball trolls, but the trolls generally don't think, they mindlessly regurgitate apologetic talking points.

After doing this for a while, I realized that just about all of the apologetics come down to arguments from ignorance and post-hoc rationalizations.

You will always hit a wall when someone does two basic defensive actions:

Refuse to understand how their reasons for believing are refuted.

Completely ignore how their reasons for believing are undercut and continue making the same argument.

Then it's just a matter of stating the same stupidity over and over and thinking that somehow they made a great point.

Boring.... Drinking Beverage

And no matter how many times you "win" the same shit just comes back over and over. How many times do people need to be told that Hitler was not an atheist?
It's just wasted breath.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
13-09-2017, 06:29 AM
(13-09-2017 06:20 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  And no matter how many times you "win" the same shit just comes back over and over. How many times do people need to be told that Hitler was not an atheist?
It's just wasted breath.

At a point you must assume such people are arguing for political reasons, rather than to learn or even to exchange ideas.
13-09-2017, 06:36 AM
I sincerely doubt I will change anyone's mind about their sincerely held beliefs (be that religious or political primarily), and I doubt anyone will change my own. My opinions and views have changed through time (was once Christian, now atheist. Was once conservative, now a liberal democrat. Was once a believer in Alien abductions, now I think it's bullshit, etc), but not typically because someone else changed them. Typically it comes from the realization that something I have said or written didn't sound quite correct to me, while something someone else said/wrote did. I don't immediately change my views, I have to ponder and reflect upon it. So while I am not immutable to changing my views and opinions, it has to come from more than just the assertion that I am wrong. And theists don't typically have much more than that (or they go back to the plethora of bad theological arguments that I have already considered and rejected for one reason or another), so I don't think that theists are very likely to convince me of their theism moving forward. As for whether or not I expect to be able to change their opinions/views, I expect to be able to challenge them but the change is on them, and most don't consider the arguments and counterpoints of atheists very deeply.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
14-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Not very. I only care when religious people express the toxic parts of their ideology.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
15-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Not important at all. I'll listen to anyone making an argument. If it's blatantly ignorant, harmful or dishonest I weigh in.
Otherwise, I care more about why they believe than what they believe.

Besides, if they are willing to change their minds, it won't be me doing it. Not in this forum.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
16-09-2017, 11:32 AM
I came here to find out more about Ralph Ellis. I'm not too interested in whether anyone is or is not a theist or an atheist. For me, it's a pointless and misleading discussion. The nature of the gods has shifted so much from the times when our religions arose that even trying to identify what the word "god" means is like trying to diagnose a lesion on the forehead of a frog leaping around a pond 20 feet away. Back then gods were, in Roman thinking, possibly real, but inaccessible, but had no influence on human activity. The Egyptians deified their Pharoah and their religious customs and their politics revolved around their god who was a real person. How this, interpreted by ancient clerics and passed down in largely opaque scriptures, is relevant in anyway such that one would want to define oneself by one's adherence to a belief in either the existence or non-existence of an "imponderable" is a mystery to me. I never warmed up to Christianity because the people in it just talked patent nonsense so I prefer to say I am a secularist. I don't pretend to have found any answers but I prefer to look at the actual history or theories of history and at morality and see if any of it is reflected in religious texts. I find it hard to move beyond being a mere observer of the tapestry of history to being anywhere near to a position where I can say I "believe" in anything. Things are what they are. What I "believe" about it is of no significance to anyone, including me, because I don't and never will have all of the facts which would be necessary to validate a belief about issues such as the nature of existence, the origin of life, etc and none of this has anything to do with more pressing and relevant issues such as how we behave towards each other.
[+] 2 users Like Deltabravo's post