Poll: How much did the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site?
I'm a theist and changing the beliefs of atheists is my mission.
I'm a theist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm a theist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if atheists adopt my beliefs.
I'm an atheist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if theists lose their beliefs to reflect my own.
I'm an atheist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.
I'm an atheist and changing the beliefs of theists is my mission.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
(03-10-2017 02:12 PM)speedyj1992 Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 04:07 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Don't worry. Everyone gets to stay regardless of how they answer. (Okay, full disclosure; I'm not someone who can give you the boot regardless.) I'm just curious to know to what degree folks are here to test their convictions or to influence the religious views of others. That's it.

Everyone loves answering polls, right? If you can find an answer response that best approximates your own stance that would really be peachy. Of course some people are polls-intolerant or afflicted with poll induced Turrets syndrome. You guys do what you need to do.

Beyond this thread's title, what I'd really like to know is how much the opportunity to influence the religious views of others -or- to have your own religious views tested by others factored into your coming to this site. Please choose all that apply.

1) I'm a theist and changing the beliefs of atheists is my mission.

2) I'm a theist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.

3) I'm a theist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if atheists adopt my beliefs.

4) I'm an atheist who isn't too likely to change my mind but neither do I care if theists lose their beliefs to reflect my own.

5) I'm an atheist and I'm as willing to test my own beliefs as I am in challenging the beliefs of others.

6) I'm an atheist and changing the beliefs of theists is my mission.

Oh, 1 and 2 for sure. I'm not afraid of questions, and will actually start out by boldly posting a video about the Vegas shooting (I will also be posting a video about the problem of evil and why it has to exist Friday) Link removed

I welcome all questions - as a former super devout atheist, I've had many questions, and I've answered them. You can use my link above to find my intro video where I talk more about that. I'd also love to hear your guys' stories, as well, because I would rather relate on a more personal level than just through my channel.

"...as a former super devout atheist..."

Consider I'll take Oxymoron for $1,000 Alex.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
05-10-2017, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 03:18 PM by Vera.)
RE: How important is influencing the religious views of others to your being here?
Like I said, I don't give a monkey's about persuading anyone of anything. But, apparently, most people really really want to be right and are incapable of having a discussion without interpreting the other side's questions as an attack.

Is actually a rather sad way of being, if a genuine exchange of ideas, on whatever subject, is something that offends and threatens you.

Also, if you feel like you might be wrong, it's especially pathetic to get angry and insulted instead of genuinely thinking about your beliefs and ideas. Conversations are not tennis matches where you either win or lose and I'm getting rather tired of most people being like this.

PS. And if you tell me that chakras have been scientifically provem you should consider yourself damn lucky I didn't tell you're talking total and unadulterated CRAP.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
05-10-2017, 03:18 PM
(05-10-2017 03:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  Like I said, I don't give a monkey's about persuading anyone of anything. But, apparently, most people really really want to be right and are incapable of having a discussion without interpreting the other side's questions as an attack.

Is actually a rather sad way of being, if a genuine exchange of ideas, on whatever subject, is something that offends and threatens you.

Also, if you feel like you might be wrong, it's especially pathetic to get angry and insulted instead of genuinely thinking about your beliefs and ideas. Conversations are not tennis matches where you either win or lose and I'm get rather tired of most people being like this.

Monkey’s ass, you forgot to say ass.

40-Love

Your serve.

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-10-2017, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 03:52 PM by Vera.)
(05-10-2017 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  you forgot to say ass

Why, I never!

[Image: 6a00e54fce13cf8834016306a8f649970d-800wi]

Quote:40-Love

Your serve.

Big Grin

Am getting really, really annoyed right about now. Also, considering that you fucking told me there are things that science can never explain (but "the other side" can?) and again, I didn't tell you this is total fucking ignorant bollocks and I am still the bad guy? Nor did I tell you this is bloody immature while you did comment on *my* way of being and talking? Fuck this.

Seriously, this is so fucking infantile. Not to mention fucking insecure. If you told me everything I believe and hold dear is wrong, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch - if your arguments make sense I'll reconsider my own opinions and if your arguments don't make sense? Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I - to mine; it's still not an attack and it will not offend me.

Conversations are not about being right and about winning, for fuck's sake!

Angry

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-10-2017, 05:35 PM
(05-10-2017 03:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  you forgot to say ass

Why, I never!

[Image: 6a00e54fce13cf8834016306a8f649970d-800wi]

Quote:40-Love

Your serve.

Big Grin

Am getting really, really annoyed right about now. Also, considering that you fucking told me there are things that science can never explain (but "the other side" can?) and again, I didn't tell you this is total fucking ignorant bollocks and I am still the bad guy? Nor did I tell you this is bloody immature while you did comment on *my* way of being and talking? Fuck this.

Seriously, this is so fucking infantile. Not to mention fucking insecure. If you told me everything I believe and hold dear is wrong, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch - if your arguments make sense I'll reconsider my own opinions and if your arguments don't make sense? Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I - to mine; it's still not an attack and it will not offend me.

Conversations are not about being right and about winning, for fuck's sake!

Angry

Oh yes you have my dear.

Loved the R&G skit!

As for the rest I’ll just assume you’re speaking to someone else.

05-10-2017, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 06:01 PM by Vera.)
(05-10-2017 05:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Oh yes you have my dear.

Who you calling dear? Dodgy

Quote:Loved the R&G skit!

I *love* Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead! And the movie is this rarest of beasts where the dramatisation is as good as the written work.

"We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?" Sadcryface

Quote:As for the rest I’ll just assume you’re speaking to someone else.

Are I? Rolleyes
[Image: Are-you-talking-to-me.gif]

05-10-2017, 06:21 PM
(05-10-2017 03:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...

Monkey’s ass, you forgot to say ass.

40-Love

Your serve.

Big Grin

Nope. That shot was inside the line.

It's not "ass".

It could be “I couldn’t give a monkey’s ... toss / chuff / arse / fuck / balls” etc. but the short form is equally if not more acceptable.

Note: The expression is English (most likely South of England) so it would never, ever be "ass".

Don't confuse your monkey with your donkey.

Tongue

30-15

Play on.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-10-2017, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 07:47 PM by julep.)
So a lot has happened on this thread since I was here last - evidently, I don't get e-mail notifications, and I have a lot going on in my life, especially these past couple and next couple of weeks. Because of that, if I delay in responding, that's why - here is the video I just posted on the problem of evil:

Self-promoting video link removed - julep

To quickly respond to a couple of things that I read just now that had been posted since I last posted here: you guys are NOT going to shake my faith in Christ. I've asked all the hard questions you guys have asked, and I've found answers - the trick is not looking at things through a lens. I was burned by religion when I was younger, but a false religion (I have a video coming out next week that explains my origins with that a little more).

When I found the truth, it was wonderful, and I want that to be available to you guys, as well - like I said, I may not have as much time to answer your questions as I would like. I'm in graduate school right now, and as much as I like my program (occupational therapy, if you're curious), it takes up much of my time. Hopefully my videos will answer some of your questions and encourage you guys to start your own journey in this area. I've been on both sides, as a former atheist and a current Christian, and where I am now is way better.

I'd love to hear more from you guys - apologies if the link doesn't go through. If not, I'll find another way to get you guys the video.
07-10-2017, 10:21 AM
(07-10-2017 10:14 AM)speedyj1992 Wrote:  To quickly respond to a couple of things that I read just now that had been posted since I last posted here: you guys are NOT going to shake my faith in Christ.

You must think very highly of yourself if you imagine that anyone here will bother with trying to "shake your faith".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
07-10-2017, 10:22 AM
(07-10-2017 10:14 AM)speedyj1992 Wrote:  you guys are NOT going to shake my faith in Christ.

[Image: mpbp.gif]

So YOU came to an atheist forum to tell us WE are not gonna shake YOUR faith in a bronze-age mythology figure?

Goddamn those mean atheists, trying to force their "beliefs" and opinions on others, eh? Facepalm

[+] 5 users Like Vera's post