How is agnosticism viewed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 01:24 AM
RE: How is agnosticism viewed?
(27-12-2016 09:57 PM)BCSaul Wrote:  New to TTA. Former pastor and college professor who has nearly come full circle from 20 years of conservative evangelicalism to now strident agnosticism. I don't consider myself an atheist at the moment. I don't know if there is a god or not. I know I no longer ascribe to the god that evangelical theology promotes, but as far as god's existence in general, I simply don't know. Twenty years is a long time to undo. How are agnostics viewed in the atheist community? Is the ultimate goal to become atheist, or is there acceptance for those who remain doubtful but not necessarily certain?

Theism/atheism is a claim about belief, gnosticism/agnosticism is a claim about knowledge. In effect there are 4 possible combinations about belief in god and (claimed) knowledge of its existence. Most people in here are agnostic atheists. So, agnostics are part of the atheist community, in fact the largest one.

In fact there is no such thing as "atheists community", because atheism is not a world view but the response to a single claim, the claim "god x dos exist". All atheists agree necessarily agree only on one thing, not believing in a god.

Goals:
Nobodys goal in here is to be atheist or not. I see you are still suffering from your programming/propaganda. Atheism is a claim of belief as said above. We dont have goals on what we (want to) believe, because we dont (voluntarily) choose what we want to believe. What we believe is the inevitable result of intellectual honest investigation of the avaliable facts and informations, we believe what we think is true (and no, there is only one truth about the existence of things in this universe, not a separate one for everybody) , not what we like to believe. The goal of most people in here is to match their internal (in their mind) model of the world with the exsiting, real outside world. The attitude is scepticism, the tool is science, the result is atheism.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
28-12-2016, 01:31 AM
(28-12-2016 12:23 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I must respectfully disagree with the previous posters on this subject.

Dude, nobody cares.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-12-2016, 02:05 AM
(28-12-2016 01:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 12:23 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I must respectfully disagree with the previous posters on this subject.

Dude, nobody cares.

OK, that made me chuckle out loud Big Grin

If I can put it less succinctly... this is the Personal Issues section.

So this thread is not about how and why each of us choose the labels and definitions that we do (although anecdotes can be useful)... it's about helping our new friend, Saul, regain his equilibrium and cope with the dizziness following his fall from certainty.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-12-2016, 02:10 AM
At work.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Big Grin

(27-12-2016 09:57 PM)BCSaul Wrote:  New to TTA. Former pastor and college professor who has nearly come full circle from 20 years of conservative evangelicalism to now strident agnosticism. I don't consider myself an atheist at the moment. I don't know if there is a god or not. I know I no longer ascribe to the god that evangelical theology promotes, but as far as god's existence in general, I simply don't know. Twenty years is a long time to undo. How are agnostics viewed in the atheist community? Is the ultimate goal to become atheist, or is there acceptance for those who remain doubtful but not necessarily certain?

Hug

Heart

Thumbsup

I'm happy to add the word/definition 'Agnostic' to m'self in conversation. Though I also qualify it with 'Atheist' as well.

Big Grin
28-12-2016, 02:21 AM
(28-12-2016 02:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 01:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Dude, nobody cares.

OK, that made me chuckle out loud Big Grin

So this thread is not about how and why each of us choose the labels and definitions that we do (although anecdotes can be useful)... it's about helping our new friend, Saul, regain his equilibrium and cope with the dizziness following his fall from certainty.

Wink

Dude, where's the instruction manual?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
28-12-2016, 02:23 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2016 02:26 AM by Szuchow.)
Welcome.

First one has to ask if there is something called atheist community. I highly doubt it. Then there is ultimate goal - strange idea. Being atheist I couldn't care less if other people grow up and stopped believing in god fairies. I wish religious folks wouldn't try to force their beliefs onto others but it has nothing to do with atheism - I just wish for freedom for others and myself.

Lastly I don't like agnosticism as you presented it - nothing points to even possibility of existence of one and god fairies that humans worship are things that you would expect bunch of self important monkeys to create.

Edit: My words might sound harsh but they aren't meant as criticism of your person. I disagree with/dislike ideas. Don't know you enough to dislike (or like) you as a person Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-12-2016, 03:42 AM
(28-12-2016 02:21 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 02:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  OK, that made me chuckle out loud Big Grin

Wink

Dude, where's the instruction manual?

Let's write it together.

Thumbsup

28-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Have you been on the sauce mate?

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-12-2016, 04:22 AM
(28-12-2016 02:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So this thread is not about how and why each of us choose the labels and definitions that we do (although anecdotes can be useful)... it's about helping our new friend, Saul, regain his equilibrium and cope with the dizziness following his fall from certainty.

Wink

DLJ,

I have come across people who I thought to be atheists who told me they were "certain" that there is no God.

Many folks here talk about "agnostic atheists" which implies to me a lack of certainty on the question. If so, is it correct to regard atheists as being certain or is there a more accurate term to describe those people who are certain that there is no God?

D.
28-12-2016, 06:03 AM
(28-12-2016 02:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So this thread is not about how and why each of us choose the labels and definitions that we do (although anecdotes can be useful)... it's about helping our new friend, Saul, regain his equilibrium and cope with the dizziness following his fall from the illusion of certainty.

Fixed that for you

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post