How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 10:47 PM by PoolBoyG.)
How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible?
I watched a recent video on Nepal and (third) gender rights, and reflected on some scifi shows that had aliens with three genders.

How exactly is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible? Are there some in nature with more than two?

I would count three. 1. one gender creates the sperm. 2. another gender creates the egg. 3. third gender incubates/acts as the womb.

note: If "sex" and "gender" are actually two different things (one social, one biological?), then I meant to say sex.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2013, 12:53 AM
RE: How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible?
Sex=male/female/etc. based on your physical biology, located in your pants.
Gender=masculine/feminine/etc., socially constructed/defined, located in your head.

I do not understand your third sentence. Are you talking about aliens or people in Nepal?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Define "physical biology".

You have single sexed species, and we have species with two sexes, but can it be split further into three sexes? Would my third sentence be an example of a third sex? If not, what would?
28-01-2013, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 11:29 PM by amyb.)
(28-01-2013 11:16 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Define "physical biology".
I'm talking about whether you have a XX or XY chromosomes.

You seem to be confusing sex and gender again, I'd say, if you start out talking about third GENDER rights, and then you start talking about asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction and suggesting ways to further divide these things.

I'm not familiar with the Nepalese specifically, but in cultures where a third gender is recognized, it's a gender, not a sex, so there is nothing in common with hypothetical aliens who need three sexes to reproduce. Even if you're talking about ladyboys who might have taken female hormones or had breast implants, that still doesn't make them reproduce differently.

In any case, it seems problematic to split things further, and I don't think it would be evolutionarily beneficial. I think it's much more likely to recognize any number of further genders (while acknowledging who has what chromosomes when necessary) rather than splitting into more sexes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2013, 05:15 PM
You don't have to get hanged up on the Nepalese, or Aliens. I included those because they were just the sparks for further thoughts. Those weren't the subject for the thread. I asked how sex is defined, and how many sexes are possible- what would they look like.
29-01-2013, 08:43 PM
There's only one gender. Masculinity. Just because it has a pussy doesn't mean it's any different on the inside. The only difference is the difference we make. Females should be no different than males other than their physique. Instead? We got a bunch of cloudy eyed bimbos.
29-01-2013, 11:32 PM
*Waits for GirlyMan's response Drinking Beverage

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
30-01-2013, 12:18 AM
(27-01-2013 10:43 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  note: If "sex" and "gender" are actually two different things (one social, one biological?), then I meant to say sex.
Based on this, I would respond by saying the World Health Organization says gender refers to the socially accepted attributes that it considers appropriate for men and
women.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...GE&cad=rja

Shuvo Ghosh, MD says:
Quote: Gender identity is defined as a personal conception of oneself as male
or female (or rarely, both or neither). This concept is intimately
related to the concept of gender role, which is defined as the outward
manifestations of personality that reflect the gender identity. Gender
identity, in nearly all instances, is self-identified,
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/917990-overview

Gender theorists see sex and gender as opposing ideas, one is biological; the other mental. So sex in my opinion is the biological identification of male or female, whereas gender is a social construct which relies on stereotypes to reinforce socially-prescribed roles. For example a man (outside of comedy) would be ridicule and sneered at if he dressed in women's clothing. Or the young boy putting on girls panties and dresses at a young age.

So it would be safe to say that “sex” is the property or quality by which organisms are classified as biologically female or male on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions. By contrast "gender" is a mental concept developed as a result of social preferences/norms.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
[+] 1 user Likes Scientia's post