How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2013, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 11:29 PM by amyb.)
RE: How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible?
(28-01-2013 11:16 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Define "physical biology".
I'm talking about whether you have a XX or XY chromosomes.

You seem to be confusing sex and gender again, I'd say, if you start out talking about third GENDER rights, and then you start talking about asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction and suggesting ways to further divide these things.

I'm not familiar with the Nepalese specifically, but in cultures where a third gender is recognized, it's a gender, not a sex, so there is nothing in common with hypothetical aliens who need three sexes to reproduce. Even if you're talking about ladyboys who might have taken female hormones or had breast implants, that still doesn't make them reproduce differently.

In any case, it seems problematic to split things further, and I don't think it would be evolutionarily beneficial. I think it's much more likely to recognize any number of further genders (while acknowledging who has what chromosomes when necessary) rather than splitting into more sexes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How is gender defined, and how many gender types are possible? - amyb - 28-01-2013 11:26 PM