How is the book banning coming along america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 07:23 AM
How is the book banning coming along america?
Drinking Beverage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYBK1bRdIE

Yes it's 2013 and there are still books that libraries and schools try to censor.

Good morning America. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 07:30 AM
RE: How is the book banning coming along america?
Holy crap, I agree with you completely. Whoduthunkit?

Good morning I & I.... Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-09-2013, 07:38 AM
(27-09-2013 07:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Holy crap, I agree with you completely. Whoduthunkit?

Good morning I & I.... Drinking Beverage

Holy fuck!

I smell a conspiracy!

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-09-2013, 07:41 AM
WHOA! You can be correct sometimes? I hate it that people try to ban and censor various classics including Bridge to Terabithia and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It defeats the whole point of writing a book: to say what you want to say.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
27-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Can't see the video. Drinking Beverage

Someone's always trying to ban or censor some book or other. It's usually voted on by some committee and they get local publicity and it gets shot down.

Shit, in the 70s someone wanted the Bible to be relegated to a certain section of the library for adults only - because of the sex & violence. Being a minor at the time, I immediately wanted to read it and did - complete bummer.

Anyway, outrage ensued somewhat nationally. I think the backlash from that made certain groups start pushing the book. I even remember seeing adds on TV with a few low level sitcom stars "suggesting" people read "The Book", cause you don't know the "excitement" you're missing. Who knows; that campaign may have spawned the rise of the christee right... it sure spawned mass publishings of that book.

Huck Finn has always had parts censored - some books even leave out whole chapters. I think some teachers just don't require it because they are lazy; it's complex and would take quite a bit of social and historic prefacing on their part.

Some stupid fucker is always trying to ban The Grapes of Wrath - sometimes for blasphemy, sometimes for being commie material... sometimes for sex ... I'll be damned if I can even find any sex in the book. Unless it's that part where the preacher talks about getting women all whipped up in the prayer meetings and taking them out back of the tent and fucking them silly. Consider Mmmyea, maybe that's it.

The thing is, someone's always trying to ban or censor something; I thought it was common knowledge. It prods us be "outraged as Americans".... so our outrage becomes a distraction from the important things. Be diligent... just be certain of what band wagon you're jumping on. 'Someone' is always trying to distract - the distraction itself usually helps push that 'someone's' agenda.
Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-09-2013, 08:45 AM
(27-09-2013 08:25 AM)kim Wrote:  Can't see the video. Drinking Beverage

Someone's always trying to ban or censor some book or other. It's usually voted on by some committee and they get local publicity and it gets shot down.

Shit, in the 70s someone wanted the Bible to be relegated to a certain section of the library for adults only - because of the sex & violence. Being a minor at the time, I immediately wanted to read it and did - complete bummer.

Anyway, outrage ensued somewhat nationally. I think the backlash from that made certain groups start pushing the book. I even remember seeing adds on TV with a few low level sitcom stars "suggesting" people read "The Book", cause you don't know the "excitement" you're missing. Who knows; that campaign may have spawned the rise of the christee right... it sure spawned mass publishings of that book.

Huck Finn has always had parts censored - some books even leave out whole chapters. I think some teachers just don't require it because they are lazy; it's complex and would take quite a bit of social and historic prefacing on their part.

Some stupid fucker is always trying to ban The Grapes of Wrath - sometimes for blasphemy, sometimes for being commie material... sometimes for sex ... I'll be damned if I can even find any sex in the book. Unless it's that part where the preacher talks about getting women all whipped up in the prayer meetings and taking them out back of the tent and fucking them silly. Consider Mmmyea, maybe that's it.

The thing is, someone's always trying to ban or censor something; I thought it was common knowledge. It prods us be "outraged as Americans".... so our outrage becomes a distraction from the important things. Be diligent... just be certain of what band wagon you're jumping on. 'Someone' is always trying to distract - the distraction itself usually helps push that 'someone's' agenda.
Drinking Beverage

Do you know that according to North Korea you are a descendant of a great people, you are almost a god. Drinking Beverage
27-09-2013, 08:54 AM
(27-09-2013 08:45 AM)I and I Wrote:  Do you know that according to North Korea you are a descendant of a great people, you are almost a god. Drinking Beverage

It is sad you don't understand the irony of 1950s sitcoms. It must be dank and gray inside your lonely, addled little mind. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-09-2013, 09:03 AM
No book banning here at my library: :-) we proudly display all the books that have been banned by schools and others on book banning day. We have tons of other libraries doing that too.
[+] 3 users Like grizzlysnake's post
28-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Re: How is the book banning coming along america?
Yes... Oppressive groups and awful board leaders still have a stronghold over policy in schools/library.

Harry Potter isn't on the recent list anymore, poor kid.

That video title is quite terrible, stating it as if these were actually universally banned in the countries schools... And on a segment named brainwash update, that's hilariously awful journalism.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-09-2013, 06:21 AM
(28-09-2013 04:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes... Oppressive groups and awful board leaders still have a stronghold over policy in schools/library.

Harry Potter isn't on the recent list anymore, poor kid.

That video title is quite terrible, stating it as if these were actually universally banned in the countries schools... And on a segment named brainwash update, that's hilariously awful journalism.

So if it's not universally banned that makes it better?