How is the book banning coming along america?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 08:27 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: How is the book banning coming along america?
(28-09-2013 06:21 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 04:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes... Oppressive groups and awful board leaders still have a stronghold over policy in schools/library.

Harry Potter isn't on the recent list anymore, poor kid.

That video title is quite terrible, stating it as if these were actually universally banned in the countries schools... And on a segment named brainwash update, that's hilariously awful journalism.

So if it's not universally banned that makes it better?

No it makes RTs editor or producer moronic or desperate for using a overly generalized title.

Do you seriously have reading comprehension issues? It's very much looking that way the more you write.

Did I say anything about book banning being good or not bad. No... So your response is very deranged. Attempts at banning is an issue, but the types of groups responsible for it are well known.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
RE: How is the book banning coming along america?
Actually, there WAS a book that was outright banned by the US government, where Federal agents raided the publisher, destroyed copies, and took it off bookshelves and threatened the author with prison if he continued to publish the book.

The subject of the book was.... A cookbook showing how to make healthy desserts with all natural low-calorie sweetener instead of the usual aspartame (NutriSweet), and of course, it was the corporation making aspartame that was behind it. link

Also, people, like the owner's of lavabit, are put on warning they'll be arrested if they publish any details about the criminal activity the government is forcing them to engage in.

The book ban on RT is mild, imo, because we know what books are being banned and can get them in other channels. The total, absolute bans which threaten publishers with prison time are much worse, imo, because we don't even know about their existence, and the books have no chance of ever getting printed.
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
(01-10-2013 09:17 AM)frankksj Wrote:  Actually, there WAS a book that was outright banned by the US government, where Federal agents raided the publisher, destroyed copies, and took it off bookshelves and threatened the author with prison if he continued to publish the book.

The subject of the book was.... A cookbook showing how to make healthy desserts with all natural low-calorie sweetener instead of the usual aspartame (NutriSweet), and of course, it was the corporation making aspartame that was behind it. link

Also, people, like the owner's of lavabit, are put on warning they'll be arrested if they publish any details about the criminal activity the government is forcing them to engage in.

The book ban on RT is mild, imo, because we know what books are being banned and can get them in other channels. The total, absolute bans which threaten publishers with prison time are much worse, imo, because we don't even know about their existence, and the books have no chance of ever getting printed.
Hey boss, you have any other sources about this? This source seems a bit iffy to me http://www.feingold.org/symptoms.php
04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
(04-10-2013 09:52 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Hey boss, you have any other sources about this? This source seems a bit iffy to me http://www.feingold.org/symptoms.php

It's not even disputed, nor denied by the FDA. The FDA has even commented on it. Google for: "James Lahar Stevita Company", and you can find scanned copies of the FDA order to destroy the books. It's been reported and independently verified by several journalists. And the FDA's cover-their-ass was that the order was misinterpreted and what they REALLY meant to say was that IF the publisher was going to destroy the books of his own will, the FDA merely wanted to watch. rofl

Further, as far as the US issuing gag orders preventing people from disclosing information that is deemed harmful to the government, this isn't even disputed either. While Lavabit is the only one that shut down and walked away, Microsoft, Google, Facebook and others have confirmed they've also been served gag orders that prohibit them for talking about the crimes the government orders them to commit. Microsoft even went to the courts to get permission to reveal more to the public.

Not sure what you're implying what you're implying with that feingold link. But this stuff isn't disputed, even by the government.
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
(04-10-2013 10:13 AM)frankksj Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 09:52 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Hey boss, you have any other sources about this? This source seems a bit iffy to me http://www.feingold.org/symptoms.php

It's not even disputed, nor denied by the FDA. The FDA has even commented on it. Google for: "James Lahar Stevita Company", and you can find scanned copies of the FDA order to destroy the books. It's been reported and independently verified by several journalists. And the FDA's cover-their-ass was that the order was misinterpreted and what they REALLY meant to say was that IF the publisher was going to destroy the books of his own will, the FDA merely wanted to watch. rofl

Further, as far as the US issuing gag orders preventing people from disclosing information that is deemed harmful to the government, this isn't even disputed either. While Lavabit is the only one that shut down and walked away, Microsoft, Google, Facebook and others have confirmed they've also been served gag orders that prohibit them for talking about the crimes the government orders them to commit. Microsoft even went to the courts to get permission to reveal more to the public.

Not sure what you're implying what you're implying with that feingold link. But this stuff isn't disputed, even by the government.

Well I guess things got relaxed since then since its on its 4th edition in public libraries. But hey you might be right i'll take your word for it. The link I gave you was the source of the article thats all.
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
(28-09-2013 06:21 AM)I and I Wrote:  So if it's not universally banned that makes it better?

Sensing the trap... still...

Yes. Incomplete stupidity is better than complete stupidity, broadly speaking.

Think of it this way. Imagine there is a book that is universally banned, legally inaccessible in every locality on Earth. Imagine that one day, ONE tiny government (let's say, Lichtenstein) changed its policy and allowed that book to be read. Would that be an improvement?

Yes, of course it would. It's not a total solution, it's not the final answer to everything, but it IS better to some small degree. It allows freer access to literature. It begins to de-legitimize other governments' censorship policies. It is a tiny reform that produces a better overall situation.

Can you argue a position that says that ANY ban, no matter how small, is equally as bad as a total, universal ban?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
(27-09-2013 07:23 AM)I and I Wrote:  Yes it's 2013 and there are still books that libraries and schools try to censor.

Further, Farenheit 451 was required reading in my Sophomore year of high school, Huck Finn was required in my middle school, and Part Time Indian was on my daughter's post-8th grade summer reading list.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Well..this reporter forgot to mention that public libraries in the US have all these books on display and are encouraged to be read on National Ban books week. Usually with a little story of why it was banned. Often the case it was because of concerned parents or religious groups. Go figureTongue
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
How is the book banning coming along america?
When it's a country or political system that one favors that is doing the book banning, the excuses are never ending.
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
(04-10-2013 12:56 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Well..this reporter forgot to mention that public libraries in the US have all these books on display and are encouraged to be read on National Ban books week. Usually with a little story of why it was banned. Often the case it was because of concerned parents or religious groups. Go figureTongue

I agree this RT piece is unreasonable. But, what about the ban on the book that the owners of Lavabit want to write (or maybe have written) about the crimes the government ordered them to commit? Is this book on display in the public library? Is it banned because of concerned parents or religious groups? Or is it simply good old-fashioned censorship?