How language of liberals is helping populists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 12:48 PM by Zeff.)
RE: How language of liberals is helping populists.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Szuchow. Apart from in-laws I don't know any Polish liberals. I come from a different tradition where liberal means this...
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...sh/liberal
In the USA it has come to mean something in conflict with political conservatism. I regard myself politically as both liberal and conservative and don't see the issue you raise as one of left or right at all. For me it is fuss about nothing and is one of interpretation. I just wished to counter the view that your wording might imply: that 'liberal language' (whatever that is) may obscure a very obvious interpretation: that they are being intimidated into 'giving [the attacker] bread' when they shouldn't or needn't allow themselves to be.

Another interpretation and possibly the one in Catherine's mind is that the attacker is mentally unhinged and desperate. Both lives are salvageable with an intelligent (rather than instinctive) response to the situation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2016, 01:31 PM
(03-08-2016 12:44 PM)Zeff Wrote:  Thanks for the thoughtful reply Szuchow.

No problem.

(03-08-2016 12:44 PM)Zeff Wrote:  Apart from in-laws I don't know any Polish liberals. I come from a different tradition where liberal means this...
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...sh/liberal

Here liberal means the same... in theory. Practice is different as liberalism is more about economy.

(03-08-2016 12:44 PM)Zeff Wrote:  In the USA it has come to mean something in conflict with political conservatism. I regard myself politically as both liberal and conservative and don't see the issue you raise as one of left or right at all.

I'm not surprised as it is about polish left and right. It might not make much sense to others but here right (not all) dehumanize refugees and both left and liberals (again, not all) speak about submission or try to say that there is no issue at all.

(03-08-2016 12:44 PM)Zeff Wrote:  For me it is fuss about nothing and is one of interpretation.

If it was only about this one quote then it would be about nothing, but while my OP could be unclear I hope that I highlighted the issue in further posts.

Tldr version - left and liberals allowed right to set language of debate or rather "debate".

(03-08-2016 12:44 PM)Zeff Wrote:  I just wished to counter the view that your wording might imply: that 'liberal language' (whatever that is) may obscure a very obvious interpretation: that they are being intimidated into 'giving [the attacker] bread' when they shouldn't or needn't allow themselves to be.

Another interpretation and possibly the one in Catherine's mind is that the attacker is mentally unhinged and desperate. Both lives are salvageable with an intelligent (rather than instinctive) response to the situation.

It's certainly possible that she meant something else that I think she meant, but for me and I suspect other readers it look like language of weakness. To understand you have to consider the right wing framing of the subject and fact that liberals already fucked up and what could be (mis)constructed, will be.

I look on it that way - when you're already losing rhetorical battle and your opponents claiming that you're weak you shouldn't say something that could be seen as admitting to said weakness. Take away the knife from the quote and you look merciful by feeding other, and score further points by highlighting the right hypocrisy (not listening to the pope while having mouth full of banals about christian love).

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-08-2016, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 08:59 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Mediterranean food, and Arabian food, rocks. Tabouleh, couscous, yogurt dressings ... I'm teaching myself how to do this stuff, and while my efforts would probably make them laugh, those sorts of dishes are great -- filling and refreshing at the same time. When cooked from fresh ingredients, very healthy.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-08-2016, 02:20 AM
(04-08-2016 01:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Meditteranean food, and Arabian food, rocks. Tabouleh, couscous, yogurt dressings ... I'm teaching myself how to do this stuff, and while my efforts would probably make them laugh, those sorts of dishes are great -- filling and refreshing at the same time. When cooked from fresh ingredients, very healthy.

Huh You filthy liberal! Post in the right thread! Your language is helping populists Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-08-2016, 03:18 AM
(04-08-2016 02:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 01:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Meditteranean food, and Arabian food, rocks. Tabouleh, couscous, yogurt dressings ... I'm teaching myself how to do this stuff, and while my efforts would probably make them laugh, those sorts of dishes are great -- filling and refreshing at the same time. When cooked from fresh ingredients, very healthy.

Huh You filthy liberal! Post in the right thread! Your language is helping populists Angry

If he liberally uses spices, then it will be popular. And of course he should wash his hands.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-08-2016, 09:00 AM
(04-08-2016 02:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  

lol, that's what I get for having three or four tabs open, and texting a friend.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post